PDA

View Full Version : Five Decades of Disney Dining Pin -- sooo cool!

lisap
09-18-2005, 05:59 PM
We had lunch at Ariel's today and got a couple of the new dining pins--Timon and Pumba commemorating the Tahitian Terrace. :D They come in the most adorable little keepsake box with a history of the restaurant and a picture of Adventureland. Waaay cool--we're not collectors, but I'd go out of my way to get this set. :)

Alex S.
09-18-2005, 06:23 PM
What do Timon and Pumbaa have to do with Tahitian Terrace?

Actually, at first I miread that and thought it was a pin with a history of Ariel's on it.

"First there was Wolfgang Puck, but he couldn't make any money and we couldn't understand him when he called..."

lisap
09-18-2005, 07:05 PM
What do Timon and Pumbaa have to do with Tahitian Terrace?

As Timon says:
What do you want me to do, dress in drag and do the hula?

cstephens
09-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Yes, I love this particular collection, especially the cool box. The Tahitian Terrace pin is the third in the series. First was Carnation and second was Golden Horseshoe. The one I'm waiting for most is the Cafe Mexicana pin that will be coming out next May, though I don't know what characters they'll have with that one.

lisap
09-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Aww, I missed the first two? Rats. I usually don't care about the dining pins but these are pretty special.

Alex S.
09-19-2005, 12:41 PM
As Timon says:
What do you want me to do, dress in drag and do the hula?

Yes, and how does an African meercat know of Polynesian dance? Yet another reason that The Lion King sucks. (The primary being that it is boring and the secondary being Elton John and the tertiary being the expectation at the end, when Mufasa appears in the cloud that he will say "This is CNN." But maybe it is just me.)

lisap
09-19-2005, 12:49 PM
(But maybe it is just me.)

Um, yeah--that. :rolleyes: :p

How does an African Meerkat speak English and carry a tune, for that matter.

RobGraves
09-19-2005, 12:49 PM
Yes, and how does an African meercat know of Polynesian dance? Yet another reason that The Lion King sucks. (The primary being that it is boring and the secondary being Elton John and the tertiary being the expectation at the end, when Mufasa appears in the cloud that he will say "This is CNN." But maybe it is just me.)

see i like Lion King... but as far as the CNN thing.. i would have rather heard.. "simba, i am your FATHER! search your feelings....."

Vegitabeta
09-19-2005, 01:14 PM
The Lion King doesn't suck! :crying:

Alex S.
09-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Yeah it does. It just took me a while to realize it since I kept falling asleep during it. So initially I just thought it was boring. But then I managed to stay awake through the whole thing and learned otherwise.

It is very pretty, though.

Lisa, that is just assumed. But just because you are seeing a meerkat talk, would you have accepted it if he'd climbed into a spaceship to fly Simba back home? No, because it wouldn't have made sense within the context of that movie. I didn't like some of the humor and pop cultural stuff in the movie because it didn't work within the context of the movie's place or tone (whereas it does work in Aladdin).

Wildly off topic, eh?

How about them pins?

stan4d_steph
09-19-2005, 01:20 PM
It would have made more sense if they'd used Lilo & Stitch for the pin.

Perhaps they'll use the Three Caballeros for the Casa Mexicana pin?

lisap
09-19-2005, 02:30 PM
It would have made more sense if they'd used Lilo & Stitch for the pin.

That would have made more sense, but I got a kick out of them taking a small, throw-away scene in the movie and turning it into a pin. I laughed. :geek:

Alex--I can see how the out of story context humor, etc. could be annoying, but parents taking their kids to a Disney film came to expect and look forward to some adult/out of context references. Maybe Aladdin was the start of all that. It's part of what makes children's films bearable to moms and dads. Pixar is the exception to that general rule--their stories don't need propping.

Wounded Bear
09-19-2005, 05:38 PM
Ok, so when did the dining series pins really begin?
Is there a current pin available right now? If so, what is it? :confused:

Tinker Bell
09-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Yes, I love this particular collection, especially the cool box. The Tahitian Terrace pin is the third in the series. First was Carnation and second was Golden Horseshoe. The one I'm waiting for most is the Cafe Mexicana pin that will be coming out next May, though I don't know what characters they'll have with that one.

I don't think they are the same series.Here is what I found.

Disneyland 50th Anniversary - Annual Passholder Dining Pin Series
Celebrating Five Decades of Disney Dining, this collection of Annual Passholder exclusive pins are available with every $30.00 food and beverage purchase at select dining locations (see below). Each pin comes in its own nostalgically themed box inspired by water color images form Guide Books of 1955 and 1957. Printed on the interior of each box is the name of the Restaurant, some fun facts about each dining location and line art representing the land of each location.

September 18, 2005 - The Tahitian Terrace
November 6, 2005 - Tomorrowland Terrace
January 15, 2006 - Village Haus
March 12, 2006 - Mile Long Bar
May 7, 2006 - Casa Mexicana
July 17, 2006 - Refreshment Corner
September 17, 2006 - Redd Rockett's Pizza Port
Disneyland® park

Plaza Inn, Carnation Cafe, Rancho del Zocalo, French Market, Cafe Orleans and Blue Bayou
Disney's California Adventure TM park

Ariel's Grotto, Pacific Wharf Cafe, Pizza Oom Mow Mow, plus the Vineyard Room and Wine Country Trattoria at the Golden Vine Winery
Disney's Paradise Pier® Hotel

Disney's PCH Grill and Yamabuki's
Disneyland® Hotel:

Goofy's Kitchen and Granville's Steak House
Disney's Grand Californian Hotel®

Storytellers Cafe

All information subject to change without notice.
©Disney

cstephens
09-19-2005, 06:53 PM
I don't think they are the same series.Here is what I found.

Ummm, yes, they are part of the same set. What you posted are the pins that are left in the series.

CrazyTrain
09-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Does anyone have pics of the other pins?

Tinker Bell
09-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Try Pinpics.com

CrazyTrain
09-20-2005, 10:36 AM
Try Pinpics.com

Thanks. I could only find the ones that have already been released. Is there a site with the ones that haven't yet?

Tinker Bell
09-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Dizpins.com only has the one out now I can't seem to find anything for anyones to come.

Tinker Bell
09-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Ok this is what I have found so far.

Pin 38538: DLR - Annual Passholder - Five Decades of Disney Dining (Main Street Ice Cream Parlor)
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=38538&sid=5161.1127243892.v2

Pin 39751: DLR - Annual Passholder - Five Decades of Disney Dining (Golden Horseshoe)
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=39751&sid=5161.1127243892.v2

Pin 41499: DLR - Annual Passholder - Five Decades of Disney Dining (Tahitian Terrace)
http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=41499&sid=5161.1127243892.v2

CrazyTrain
09-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Yeah, those are the ones already out. I was just wondering what the others looked like. I don't even know if pics of them have been released. No biggie :D

olegc
09-20-2005, 03:14 PM
you can always search the contemporary collectibles for Disneyana on ebay. At least one person will be selling theirs..

cstephens
09-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Yeah, those are the ones already out. I was just wondering what the others looked like. I don't even know if pics of them have been released. No biggie :D

There have been no pictures of the not-yet-released pins posted that I'm aware of. Usually, dizpins is the first to get pictures of pins that are about to release, except for the rare occasion when Disney actually has the pictures up first...

Tinker Bell
09-20-2005, 08:18 PM
I just got my Tahitian Terrace.Also was able to get that Jumbo one with Walt and Mickey.

WITron
09-20-2005, 09:20 PM
There are 4 of those that I would like to get, just because I worked at those locations.