PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Time Machine: Which Year For You?

PapiBear
09-17-2005, 08:15 PM
If you could step into a time machine at Disneyland and visit the Park in any year from Opening Day 1955 onward, which year would you choose, and why? Any specific days?

I'll list mine later, after we get a number of replies.

Opus1guy
09-17-2005, 08:23 PM
1967 for me. I think this was the pinnacle year for Disneyland. Very exciting times with tons of new stuff at the park a-poppin'.

twist1980
09-17-2005, 08:31 PM
I would actually choose 1996. It was right after Indiana Jones opened and the last time that my whole family went together. My step-dad and I waited in line a few times (3+ hours each time) and just had a ball! I was almost 16 and still had the time of my life with my family. I love how Disneyland can appeal to every age and bring families together. The only thing missing ins '96 was Fastpasses! Can you even imagine waiting that long now!

We are taking my mom on a surprise trip in December for her 50th, so the family will be together again! Maybe 2005 will become my new fave year!

sleepyjeff
09-17-2005, 08:46 PM
1979......Space Mt. and Big Thunder were both pretty new*. Pirate Ship Rest and Skull Rock were still in Fantasyland. Matterhorn had a new interior. Innerspace and America Sings along with Cirlce Vision and Mission to Mars were still there. Tahitian Terrace was going strong. Monorail was more impressive with their Metal looking cars. Skyway and Peoplemover were giving the place a kinetic feel. Motor Boat Lagoon, Fort Wilderness, American Egg House, Country Bears, Main St. Electrical Parade, Monorail Cafe, Parking Lot, A-E ticket books and a good Lincoln Show all made this the best Year in my most humble opinion :)

*Yeah, that's right...two Super E-Ticket timeless attractions build within 2.5 years of each other..............now days if they open up a C Tik and do an overlay to a B Tik(Pooh and Tarzan) within 3 years of each other and they pat themselves on the back :rolleyes:

spectromen
09-17-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm gonna agree with SleepyJeff for all the same reasons, but move it up to 1980 to add in the 25th anniversary celebration.

Splashfan
09-17-2005, 09:18 PM
Any time before December 15, 1966

09-18-2005, 07:59 AM
1967 for me. I think this was the pinnacle year for Disneyland. Very exciting times with tons of new stuff at the park a-poppin'.

What Opus said.

passthepixiedust
09-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Any time before December 15, 1966

I agree with Slashfan. How cool would it be to wander around DL and catch a glimpse of Walt himself ?

Tutter
09-18-2005, 08:16 AM
2019 for me. I want to see all the new rides that will be there. The subs will be well up and hopefully some new things, some re-themeing and all sorts - new technology - even a spectacular new parade.

tod
09-18-2005, 09:51 AM
1980. 25th anniversary Family Reunion, the park looked great, Fantasyland still looked tacky, the Fantasyland Theater was an air-conditioned oasis, and I was old enough to appraciate it. Those cool Summer evenings eating meatball sandwiches and clam chowder in the candle-lit seating area behind the Pirate Ship with The Lovely Mrs.(to-be) tod as Casey Jr. tooted by... can't beat it.

Great song too. "Disneyland is your land."

--t

Disneyfreak
09-18-2005, 11:31 AM
1980 for sure I always wanted to ride inner space. :(
Dang star tours. :mad:

amarvel
09-18-2005, 11:52 AM
I think anytime in the late 60's I owuld love to see how the park looked then and ride those older rides that looked cool :)

PapiBear
09-18-2005, 02:56 PM
OK my turn. Although it's awfully tempting to return to the Disneyland of the 1970s that I grew up with (1979/1980 is a great choice), I'd probably be inclined to want to see the Park as it was around 1963 (I was born just a few months before Walt died). I've always been curious as to what it was like to visit Tomorrowland before the 1967 redesign, and the Submarine Voyage, the Monorail, and the Matterhorn Bobsleds were all still very new, Monsanto's House of the Future was still around, the original Skyway cars were still in service, New Orleans Square wasn't around yet, but the Enchanted Tiki Room was. The Pack Mules Thru Nature's Wonderland and the Mine Train Thru Nature's Wonderland were still new, the Indian Village was still active, The Hall of Chemistry was still around....it was just such a different Park then, and it would be neat to see it. Also, since I was traveling by time machine, I'd make sure to stock up on souvenirs of all kinds, so I could come back and make a killing on eBay. ;)

Vlyger
09-18-2005, 03:53 PM
I would go back to Disneyland Park circa 1981 to see Old Fantasyland before its renovation. I don't remember much of it back then because I was still very young. While in 1981, I would also check out the obsolete attractions in Tomorrowland like the PeopleMover, Rocket Jets, Submarines, American Sings, Adventures Thru Inner Space, and both Autopias.

tom522
09-18-2005, 07:49 PM
1978 when the 1970's mouseketeers were performing on the space stage during that summer. I was there and would love to do it all over again.

MrTomMorrow
09-18-2005, 08:27 PM
I'd say 1996 or 1997; the last great E-ticket at Disneyland, the Indiana Jones Adventure, had been built, Tomorrowland was still kinetic and on the move, and there were still great parades and shows based on the latest Disney animated film, raising excitement and awareness for the latest films of the time (ex: The Lion King Celebration, The Spirit of Pocahontas Show, Hercules' Victory Parade...). Also, the cutbacks of the Pressler era hadn't really been that apparent yet, so everything seemed rosy and fun.

I think 2004 or 2005 and beyond marks a new turn for Disneyland, with the beginnings of a new Tomorrowland and the sprucing up of classic attractions to incorporate new technology (ex: Leota's head in the Haunted Mansion).

Mark Mywords
09-18-2005, 08:52 PM
1965. I'd be able to wander the park of yesteryear, maybe catch a glimpse of Walt, then wander over to harass my future boss (then working as a teenager at Aunt Jemima's Kitchen) :~D

coronado_g
09-18-2005, 09:40 PM
2015 - Yeah! I'd step in that time machine and go to the future Disneyland and DCA on a 4-day park hopper. Whoooooeeee!! I'd enjoy every minute, take lots of pics, then come back to the present and post one heck of a trip report for you all to read! :p

MrsPooh
09-19-2005, 11:07 AM
I'd love to see the DL of the 60's, before Walt died, and hopefully catch a glimpse of him in the park. I think I would want to be a child that he would approach.

I would also love to revisit the early 80's. I could go back and see America sings, the PM, Subs, etc. but most of all, I want to take Mr. Pooh on Adventures Thru Innerspace! I never got to make out with him there! :~D I was a teen in the 80's and at a time where I could experience the park sans parents. Freedom!