PDA

View Full Version : Digital Pictures

jazzysmom
09-15-2005, 06:40 PM
I would love any good tips you have for getting good digital pictures during things like the parades, fireworks, fast moving rides, dark rides etc. I have a pretty nice digital, but would love some tips to make my pics come out great!

Jazzysmom
Aslan loves me, I am a daughter of Eve
See you in NARNIA Dec 2005

stan4d_steph
09-15-2005, 06:43 PM
MousePlanet's Frank Anzalone has been writing a series of great articles with photo tips for park visits, including a recent one on low-light photography. Use this index (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/index.htm) to find a list of his articles. :)

PirateSmile
09-15-2005, 06:48 PM
I just bought a digi, so I'm interested in what other people have to say as well :)

mbrady
09-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Since film is not a limiting factor any more, takes LOTS of pictures. You may end up with a bunch of mediocre shots, but you're more likely to have some extra good ones in there.

crasher11
09-15-2005, 07:14 PM
We bought a Fuji finepics S5100 before we went. Oh the pics turned out better then I ever thought they would... Like mbrady says,take all the pictures you want. We were there 6 days, DL and DCA for 5 days and US Hollywood 1 day, took over 400 pics... Wish we would have taken more....

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/crasher11/Picture210.jpg

hlbtimes2
09-15-2005, 07:16 PM
See Franks articles- they are great!

Take a bunch of pictures of everything- with out stoping to see how they turned out. It drives me crazy watching people decide on the spot of something should be deleted. Unless you are really short on space- just snap away- you can delete later.

Set your camera to high resolution. It makes it easier to crop later with out loosing the clarity of the picture. You'll use more memory, but it will be worth it. For under $100 (for most cameras) you can get a huge memory, that will hold hundreds of pics with out down loading.

Invest in good quality, rechargable batteries. Make sure you charge them every night. Bring extras!

Use optical zoom, not digital. And remember, you can always crop later if you need to.

Whittibo
09-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Oh, I just bought a new digital PHONE with a 1.3mp camera in it. I know it's not going to produce as good of pictures as my digi camera, but it's SMALL. I also bought a new transflash card for it, I could only find 128mb, BUT, it will hold 400-600 good quality pictures. I'll take my camera some days, but not every day.

I too agree with take many.. I always take at LEAST 2. Never know who had a funny face!

Mickeyslittlehelper
09-15-2005, 07:47 PM
See Franks articles- they are great!

Take a bunch of pictures of everything- with out stoping to see how they turned out. It drives me crazy watching people decide on the spot of something should be deleted. Unless you are really short on space- just snap away- you can delete later.

Set your camera to high resolution. It makes it easier to crop later with out loosing the clarity of the picture. You'll use more memory, but it will be worth it. For under $100 (for most cameras) you can get a huge memory, that will hold hundreds of pics with out down loading.

Invest in good quality, rechargable batteries. Make sure you charge them every night. Bring extras!

Use optical zoom, not digital. And remember, you can always crop later if you need to.

I agree with everything said. When I am on vacation I average over 200 pictures a day! :eek: I just keep taking pictures of everything; sure some dont turn out good, but some are just amazing. Its better to take more pictures, so that when you get home you don't say things "I should have got a picture of that"....

MrsG
09-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Use optical zoom, not digital.

Okay, what exactly is the difference??

hlbtimes2
09-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Okay, what exactly is the difference?? This (http://www.andylim.com/photo/opticalzoom.htm) shows it way better then I could ever describe it!

Its basicly the difference between the photo looking like you were closer (optical) vs looking like you tried to blow up a picture, and it got fuzzy in the process (digital). Digital zoom should be avoided most of the time.

SCUBAbe
09-15-2005, 08:11 PM
my only top would be do NOT use the flash in adrk rides....especially pirates....the flashing cell phones are just as annoying and blinding and migrain inducing....

jazzysmom
09-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the replys. I am going to go read that article here in a minute (and it might answer this question)...

Do you change your setting when you are taking pictures of the fireworks, dark rides etc, or do you leave it on the same setting the whole time?

Jazzsymom
Aslan loves me, I am a daughter of Eve
See you in NARNIA Dec 2005

hlbtimes2
09-16-2005, 12:41 PM
On our current digital, we dont have many choices (its a point and shoot type). We are getting a new fancy one next week (been on order for a couple weeks). It has a lot more options, but I dont know how many we'll use until we get it and try it out.

amarvel
09-16-2005, 01:08 PM
I agree with everything mentioned here, first take more photos than you ever thought you would. I wanted a picture of dumbo in the electrical parade and with my digital I just snapped away as he went by, i think i ended up with 15 shots, and then out of those 3 were just what i was looking for, i deleted the rest....

Also don't hesitate, the characters move fast in the parades, or they turn away, just snap the shot, don't over think it or they might turn around and you missed the shot.

Also if you run out of space on your card. There is a costco (if you have a membership) north on Harbor in Fullerton, its on the right hand side and they will burn a high resolution CD of your prints for $2.99, that way you can delete your card and take more pictures.

blackjackdelta
09-16-2005, 01:26 PM
I agree with what has been stated. The more pics the better chance you have in getting the keepers that you want. The camera is the big culprit..More money, more features..higher shutter speed, higher resolution, better lens, etc. Get a large storage card so you can shoot all day with out having to download. We just returned from DLR and I shot 1437 5mp pics and 10 mini DV tapes..I edit/delete what is not suitable. Dark scenes are difficult at best and any lateral motion messes things up.
Practice makes perfect. I have 50,ooo+ pics of various trips and learn something new each time. Know your camera so you can make quick scene changes, etc.
Good luck and have fun shooting...a good printer also helps. :D

a hyperbole
09-16-2005, 01:26 PM
my only top would be do NOT use the flash in adrk rides....especially pirates....the flashing cell phones are just as annoying and blinding and migrain inducing....

Thanks for mentioning this... so many people forget to turn off their flash, and it can really ruin the ride for everyone!

Oh, one more tip that may be a no-brainer... practice, practice, practice! Since your camera is new to you, take TONS of practice shots before your trip. At home, at the grocery store, the gas station, wherever. Undoubtedly something "magical" will happen at Disneyland and you don't want to miss capturing it because you're not comfortable with your new camera.

h_lehmann
09-16-2005, 01:30 PM
For night or indoor shots, set the ASA as high as possible, if your camera has that feature. Your pictures will be slightly noisier, but you'll be able to get more good shots without having to use a flash.

Here's (http://www.tinybackyard.com/album14/2004_11_07_15_54_20) one from It's a Small World; using a flash here would have washed everything, not to mention annoy everyone else on the boat.