PDA

View Full Version : What would you do? (Character meal choices)

tinksmommy
09-15-2005, 03:15 PM
Hi! We have a trip coming up in November and are in the window now for making all of the dining reservations for that trip. We are going down for a week, but travelling with friends who are staying for two weeks! They, as you can imagine, don't want to do every character dining experience the first week they are there, but are open to doing whatever we wanted to do. So... here is the quandry. Which character meals are your favorites and WHY!?!

A bit about us to help you with advice -- it will be myself, hubby, DD is 7 and loves all the characters, but has a special love for Koda (brother bear) and Lilo. (I know those characters appear at Storytellers and PCH respectively, but haven't heard enough to make me say those are the meals we will do when she can get other time with them in DCA at the places they hang out there) We also have a DS who will be 20 months when we are there (but darn near 36 inches!! Darn go coaster 3-year age thing!).

We have done Goofy's Kitchen and LOVED it and that is one that we would like to repeat. Beyond that, we are trying to decide between adding one or two more to our stay. (that and Blue Bayou of course)

So, Goofy's is a go, but tell me your thoughts on that anyway! And I'd love to hear about what it is like mostly from the perspective of having kids with you because if we eat with the entire group we are travelling with, it could be as many as 11 kids from ages 1 to 14 along with 8 adults.

Thanks for all the great help I always count on getting here!!

infinite
09-15-2005, 03:25 PM
My boys REALLY enjoyed Storytellers. So much we are going twice on our next trip (in 9 days). It is not as “hectic” as the others, which works out well for us. The food is good, and my little guy (5) was able to hug Koda twice! We also saw Chip (or was it Dale), and Pluto. My sons favorite part was when Koda tied to eat his breakfast…over and over again.

Wendi
09-15-2005, 03:53 PM
I prefer breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe... they have the best food by far!!! Do not skip the French Toast!!! Also, you have your choice of the buffet or ordering off the menu, but I'd recommend the buffet anyway, even though you could save a bit of money the other way.

lauramaynot
09-15-2005, 04:15 PM
A bit about us to help you with advice -- it will be myself, hubby, DD is 7 and loves all the characters, but has a special love for Koda (brother bear) and Lilo. (I know those characters appear at Storytellers and PCH respectively, but haven't heard enough to make me say those are the meals we will do when she can get other time with them in DCA at the places they hang out there)

We ate at the PCH Grill on our last trip had dinner so it wasn't a character meal but the brochure in the room said that the character breakfast was with Minnie Mouse. The resturant is decorated with Lilo & Stitch, the menu was a coloring sheet with those characters and the music they played (the O.C. theme song (DH and I laughed about that), Surfing USA, etc. ) was beach themed so it might be just as much fun to catch a meal there without the characters since your daughter likes Lilo. My kids especially liked making their own pizzas and then having them cooked in the brick oven. Food was good with a pretty good selection. The minnie breakfast was called a buffet and the dining room was set up for such. Good Luck and let us all know what you decide to do... :)

potterphreak
09-15-2005, 06:22 PM
This is the review I left for the Princess breakfast buffet at the Plaza Inn last year. It is now Minnie and Friends I think and we are definitely going back:

11/18/2004
Reviewer: potterphreak Modesto, CA August 06, 2005
This breakfast was amazing! We came here for Breakfast with Pooh & Friends the previous 2 years, and that was good, but oh boy, this was amazing!!! We got to see, talk and take pics with EVERY Princess at least once and even got pics with the Fairy Godmother. The food isn't like, the absolute best in the world, but it is very tasty and soooo filling. Our 2 favorite princesses were Mulan (yeah yeah, I know, not a "princess") and Snow White. Mulan came over and signed her name in Chinese and then talked with my daughter for 5 minutes or so about why her father named her Mulan (means WOOD and FLOWER-wanted her to be strong and beautiful) which we thought was an amazing touch! Snow White came over perfectly in character with the breathy, girlish voice and showed my daughter how to curtsey. Can't wait to go back this November, I HIGHLY recommend it!

tinksmommy
09-16-2005, 05:06 PM
potterfreak --- would this then be the set up now at Ariel's in DCA? That is where the princesses are now as I understand it. How exciting to see the Fairy Godmother!! And my daughter loves Mulan and I never even considered her as a choice to be with the princesses.

tinksmommy
09-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the ideas so far!! Any others? :)

stan4d_steph
09-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the ideas so far!! Any others? :)Have you read the reviews on the MousePlanet Review Database? Click this link for the page of character dining choices. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi?product-category=Disneyland%20Resort%20%2F%20Restaurants%2 0%2F%20Character%20dining)

nvmom
09-16-2005, 08:55 PM
I was just going to add that while it isn't a meal, the Brother Bear show in DCA is cute. It doesn't last long and we got pics w/Koda afterward.

We did the Princess Breakfast at the Plaza Inn last Mar, and had a positive experience (great actually) - but I know alot of people didn't. We liked the buffet fine at the Plaza, and our kids ate really well there.

TLM

tinksmommy
09-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Have you read the reviews on the MousePlanet Review Database? Click this link for the page of character dining choices. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi?product-category=Disneyland%20Resort%20%2F%20Restaurants%2 0%2F%20Character%20dining)
Yep - I checked those out first. Part of the trouble is that there aren't many current reviews and what I'm really trying to get a sense of is if you had to pick your favorite, what is it and why - along with ideas based on our ages and stages.

I Lurve Mouseplanet and frequently send friends to the site when they are planning a trip. In fact, for our current trip, we have made great use of the section for going to the park with a wheelchair, as one of the children in our party is in one. You guys here do a GREAT service!! And a great JOB!