PDA

View Full Version : So. Calif. price comparison

potzbie
09-14-2005, 08:33 PM
I am always interested in saving money.
I always enjoy paying less than retail (or "rack rate" or "suggested list price").
Aren't you?
:)

I pulled down the data from the DLR web site for Southern California admission prices.

• So. Calif. Select AP . . . . . . = $ 119.00

• So. Calif. 1-day Park Hopper . . = $ 71.00

DLR will charge Annual Pass holders $30 for entry on a BLACKOUT DATE.
Please note that $30 is a savings of $41 over the So. Calif. 1-day Park Hopper cost of entry.

Q. If a Southern California Select AP Holder were to only visit DLR only on BLACKOUT DATES, then how many BLACKOUT DATES must you accrue before having a Southern California Select AP's cost pay off?

A. Below is a chart of the number of visits on BLACKOUT DATES, and the CUMULATIVE money spent on admissions.

============================================
Visits / 1-Day Adm. / AP Adm.
--------------------------------------------
1 _______$ 71. . . . $119 + 30 (=149)
2 _______$142. . . . $119 + 60 (=179)
3 _______$213. . . . $119 + 90 (=209)
4 _______$284. . . . $119 +120 (=239)
============================================

Therefore, it is nearly break-even at 3 visits ($4.00 difference), and becomes a money saver at 4 visits (a savings of $45 on 4th visit).

If you can use the AP discounts, and can save $4.00 within 3-days' time (i.e., $1.33 per day), then you will break-even on the 3rd visit.

Let's verify that on a per-visit basis, you save money at the fourth visit.

First, here is the undiscounted calculation:
• One-Day Adm. x 4 . . . . . . $284 / 4 = $71.00 per-day average.

Next, here is the pure-BLACKOUT DATE calculation.
• So. Calif. Select AP x 4 . . $239 / 4 = $59.75 per-day average.

Conclusion:
On day #4, the So. Calif. AP holder saved $11.25 over the straight, undiscounted admission price for Southern Californians.

Each additional day of BLACKOUT DATES represents more savings, in $41.00 increments. (Where $41 is the difference between full price of $71 and the Blackout date surcharge of $30.)

Each additional day of NON-BLACKOUT DATES, of course, represents savings in $71.00 increments. (There is no surcharge for an AP holder to enter on ordinary non-blackout dates, since he walks thru the gates for "free"!)

Post script:
I have been toying with the idea of obtaining an Annual Pass for wDW someday, and figuring out when an Annual Pass becomes cost-effective over the plain old Park Hopper.

Great Caesar's Ghost, if I can save money on Day Four doing it this way, then you can bet that I won't stay a day less!

TowerofTerror
09-14-2005, 11:33 PM
nice breakdown of the cost if you were to get different Ap`S

disneyhound
09-15-2005, 04:54 AM
I "Love" math first thing in the morning...

Whittibo
09-15-2005, 05:24 AM
Oh, but if you buy the So. Cal. Select, and never go on blockout dates, then you REALLY save money! That's what we do. I used it last year for 5 days in the park, and this year, we'll use it for 8 days in the park.. that's 13 days for only $99! :D

Too bad I found out I can't get the So. Cal. Select anymore. :(

potzbie
09-15-2005, 09:54 AM
I used it last year for 5 days in the park, and this year, we'll use it for 8 days in the park.. that's 13 days for only $99!

Not too shabby!
What is the per-day breakdown?
$99 / 13 = $7.61 per day.

That is a big savings over $71.00 per day!

If you can squeeze in 86 more visits, then you will truly reach "Dollar Days at Disneyland!"
:D