PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Hotel: The Early Years 1954-1988 - New Book!

Pages : [1] 2

PapiBear
09-14-2005, 04:43 PM
I was delightfully surprised to come across this website (http://www.magicalhotel.com/) with info and plenty of really neat photos from this new (and rather pricey) coffee table book, written by author and historian Donald W. Ballard.

Check out these Disneyland Hotel rates (http://www.magicalhotel.com/funstuff/59rates.html) from 1959. :eek:

Has anyone seen this book yet in any bookstore? Anyone have it?

Mox
09-14-2005, 04:58 PM
The author wrote an article that MousePlanet published (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm050901db.htm) at the beginning of the month.

Lani also wrote a review (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm050817lt.htm) of it last month.

--Mox

PapiBear
09-14-2005, 11:59 PM
The author wrote an article that MousePlanet published (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm050901db.htm) at the beginning of the month.

Lani also wrote a review (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm050817lt.htm) of it last month.

--MoxOops. Guess I missed that.

originalDLHotel
09-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Wish I could have charged less but with printing costs and other associated costs, it got quite high. Not to mention, the major distributors taking 55% off the top. I was told, if you want to make about a dollar an hour, write a book.

What makes me happiest is, the Wrather family likes it. Most of their children never really got to know their grandparents and with this book, they can get a better understanding of them.

What really makes me upset is, to this day, there is still no tribute (or photograph) of Jack Wrather at the Disneyland Hotel. They may have one now in the historical display section but I haven't been down in a few months. Jack came to the aid of his friend Walt Disney and built the Disneyland Hotel. He really did Walt Disney a favor and keep in mind, this was in the middle of an orange grove in a small community with no guarantee of success. There really needs to be a tribute to Jack Wrather. Comments?

Whittibo
09-15-2005, 06:31 AM
This looks like a great book. Can we buy it anywhere but online? Is it available in Disneyland?

I have a question that no doubt you'll be able to answer. When I was young, maybe 9 or so, which would have been about 1976, we stayed at the DLH. I remember being able to walk right out of the hotel and onto the monorail. BUT, when we stayed there in 2003, you had to walk quite a distance to get to the Monorail. Was it moved, or is my memory just wrong??

stan4d_steph
09-15-2005, 06:35 AM
I have a question that no doubt you'll be able to answer. When I was young, maybe 9 or so, which would have been about 1976, we stayed at the DLH. I remember being able to walk right out of the hotel and onto the monorail. BUT, when we stayed there in 2003, you had to walk quite a distance to get to the Monorail. Was it moved, or is my memory just wrong??The monorail wasn't moved, but the area that is now DTD used to be part of the DLH property.

SteveK
09-15-2005, 06:42 AM
Compass books in Downtown Disney had it a couple of weeks ago. This is one I'll definitely have to pick up soon.
-Steve

Whittibo
09-15-2005, 06:53 AM
The monorail wasn't moved, but the area that is now DTD used to be part of the DLH property.

So were there rooms that were closer to the hotel? Maybe rooms that have been removed? I just don't recall that LONG walk that there is now.

When we went in 2000, my dad even tried to convince me to stay at the DLH all because of the Monorail. He said, "it's convenient not to have to walk, you just get off the monorail right there at the hotel". Well, as we all know, it's NOT right there.

I guess in my memory, it felt like you got off the monorail, and were AT the hotel??

Boy, getting old sucks doesn't it??

originalDLHotel
09-15-2005, 07:02 AM
The entire original section of the Disneyland Hotel was removed in 1999. I have pictures and it broke my heart. The oldest structure now is the North end of the Sierra Tower dating back to 1961 (in 1966 the Tower was expanded to what it is now). ESPN Zone, Compass Books (where you can get a copy of my book) and some other places are now in place where the old part of the Hotel was. I have suggested to Disney (in many meetings with them) to open a Monorail Cafe and run it just like the old one at the Hotel. I believe it would be a very popular place. You can also get my book on www.magicalhotel.com and I will sign and personalize it for you.

Don Ballard

Whittibo
09-15-2005, 07:13 AM
Ah, now this is making since then. So I am not crazy, and not losing my memory. The monorail station USED to be at the hotel, they didn't move the station, they removed that part of the hotel!!

Does your book have pictures of the old part of the hotel that was removed?

I have to say, the only two things I remember from my time there when I was young, was the monorail being RIGHT THERE.. and the water show. I loved that water show, and was so glad it's still there. My kids got to see it in 2003. It didn't seem as popular as it should, so I hope they don't remove it in the future to make room for some other great concept. Something has to stay the same doesn't it??

09-15-2005, 07:18 AM
When we went in 2000, my dad even tried to convince me to stay at the DLH all because of the Monorail. He said, "it's convenient not to have to walk, you just get off the monorail right there at the hotel". Well, as we all know, it's NOT right there.

I guess in my memory, it felt like you got off the monorail, and were AT the hotel??

I hear ya. We even stayed there in '98 because my dad needed a wheelchair most of the time. And it was a huuuuuge walk that none of us - including the travel agent who booked it - remembered from the old days.

originalDLHotel
09-15-2005, 07:26 AM
My book has tons of vintage pictures. Believe me, I searched everywhere for pictures and came up with some great ones. At the archives in Burbank, they have very little on the Hotel's history. I had to go to Loyola Marymount (where the Wrather archives are located) and directly to the Wrather family. I also found a nice stash of vintage construction shots at the Grand Californian. Priceless pictures showing early construction and such. The CM there informed me he was told to throw them away some time before and he just couldn't do it.

spectromen
09-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Don, thank you SO much for your efforts on this book. I can't wait to purchase it. Thanks also for the explanation on the price - it helps put it into perspective for those of us who have never published anything ourselves.

I'm already hoping there's a sequel in the works for 1988-present ;)

originalDLHotel
09-15-2005, 08:11 AM
I have begun work on the sequel 1988 to 2005.

Whittibo
09-15-2005, 08:25 AM
Well, I know my husband would get a little 'miffed' if I just had this book sent to my house. BUT.. if we just HAPPEN to be in DTD at the book store, and I say, "OHHHH.. this is the book I read about, I would LOVE to have this book".. well, then, it's MINE. I know that's a little bit manipulative, BUT, our vacation is all about having a GREAT time.. a ONCE IN A LIFETIME TIME.. no holds barred. We never know what the future holds, so we do it up right. :)

The book will be mine. In just 2 weeks. I can't wait to see it and see some of the nostalgia in it.

originalDLHotel
09-15-2005, 10:57 AM
I have to say, the only two things I remember from my time there when I was young, was the monorail being RIGHT THERE.. and the water show.

Sadly, the Dancing Waters/Water Show belongs to Yesterland. If it hasn't already stopped, it will very shortly.

Don Ballard

Whittibo
09-15-2005, 11:02 AM
I have to say, the only two things I remember from my time there when I was young, was the monorail being RIGHT THERE.. and the water show.

Sadly, the Dancing Waters/Water Show belongs to Yesterland. If it hasn't already stopped, it will very shortly.

Don Ballard

WHAT?? It "belongs to" Yesterland? So will it just be relocated?
I had a gut feeling that it wouldn't last long. The 'crowd' wasn't overwhelming or anything. I guess I can be happy my kids got to see it. :(

originalDLHotel
09-15-2005, 11:21 AM
From what I hear, it is history with no replacement in sight.....however.....I have not heard (which means very little) if an order for demolition is in place.....which could mean they want to put something in to replace it. Maybe something using more of todays technology.

originalDLHotel
09-16-2005, 06:57 AM
I have a trivia question for anybody who cares to try it. I've asked this one before. Name the three things at the Disneyland Hotel (two remain, one is gone) that are named after someone in the Wrather family. The two remaining should be easy but the third one will be tough. A free Magical Hotel t-shirt to the first person who answers.

Whittibo
09-16-2005, 07:00 AM
OH.. here's my answer:..

"I don't have a freaking clue"..

You can send my T-shirt to me at...... :)

spectromen
09-16-2005, 08:41 AM
I stayed at the hotel last weekend and yes, Dancing Waters is completely closed. The main fountains have been replaced with a big planter, and the fiber optic panels are painted over. Also the light sculptures from up above have been taken out, and the title "Fantasy Waters" has been painted over.

At least they still run the lower fountains in the pond, so it's not a totally sore sight.

Whittibo
09-16-2005, 08:49 AM
I am so sad. :(
Glad I got to see it again, glad my kids got to see it once, but still.. sad.

Andrew
09-16-2005, 09:14 AM
I have a trivia question for anybody who cares to try it. I've asked this one before. Name the three things at the Disneyland Hotel (two remain, one is gone) that are named after someone in the Wrather family. The two remaining should be easy but the third one will be tough. A free Magical Hotel t-shirt to the first person who answers.
The Bonita Tower and Granville's restaurant (both named for Jack Wrather's wife, Bonita Granville Wrather) are the ones still standing. Mazie's Pantry (named for Jack Wrather's mother, Mazie Wrather) was removed with the Garden Villa section of the hotel.

Also, Sergeant Preston's (which later became the Neon Cactus) was a reference to "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon (http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0182633/)" (TV-Series 1955-1958) which was produced by Wrather Productions.

Whittibo
09-16-2005, 09:26 AM
The Bonita Tower and Granville's restaurant (both named for Jack Wrather's wife, Bonita Granville Wrather) are the ones still standing. Mazie's Pantry (named for Jack Wrather's mother, Mazie Wrather) was removed with the Garden Villa section of the hotel.

Also, Sergeant Preston's (which later became the Neon Cactus) was a reference to "Sergeant Preston of the Yukon (http://www.us.imdb.com/title/tt0182633/)" (TV-Series 1955-1958) which was produced by Wrather Productions.

WOW.. looks like you knew the REAL answer, I am impressed! Too bad I already won the t-shirt. :D
(nothing said you had to know the RIGHT answer, just the first PERSON to answer) See there's a method to my madness after-all!

originalDLHotel
09-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Wow, I am impressed! I owe you a t-shirt. Let me know how I can get it to you.