http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4969269/detail.html?rss=la&psp=news

Osky
09-13-2005, 08:28 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/kgtv/20050913/lo_kgtv/2933587
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4969269/detail.html?rss=la&psp=news

This is the second time this summer. :(

coronado_g
09-13-2005, 08:35 PM
What a terrible way for their day at Disneyland to end - being mowed down in the crosswalk by a disgusting drunk driver who ran a red light. I hope the woman has a successful recovery from the surgery.

disneyjunkie
09-13-2005, 09:32 PM
I hope that all the injured parties recover to the fullest extent. I think since this is the second incident in a very short time on the perimeter of Disneylands cross walks the City of Anaheim should be put under the mouse glass. The media touts " while leaving DISNEYLAND, outside of DISNEYLAND ...blah blah..." how about while in the city of Anaheim ? How about they step up the plate of resonsiblilty maybe lowering the speed limits, setting the stop line for cars back further from the cross walks, more visual police force.. the city is supported by Disney jobs, city hotel tax , tax revenue from park sales... they need to give something back to the visitors and the Park and do their part.

Osky
09-13-2005, 09:44 PM
How about a few raised crosswalks, Vegas style.

jrsharp21
09-13-2005, 09:48 PM

I agree. I think we may see a bridge crosswalk built here in the near future. Would be better because it would keep pedestrians out of paths way and also you wouldnt have to wait for cross signal. Just walk right on over traffic.

disneyjunkie
09-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Great idea! Hopefully if we all wish upon that star it would be a done deal and all pedestrians in the area would be safe!

mkraemer
09-13-2005, 10:02 PM
I agree. I think we may see a bridge crosswalk built here in the near future. Would be better because it would keep pedestrians out of paths way and also you wouldnt have to wait for cross signal. Just walk right on over traffic.

Yeah, with a moving sidewalk. That would be nice for those post-DL tired legs. Or a PeopleMover...sigh...

Space Mountain Mike
09-13-2005, 10:51 PM

Yep. I posted a message before in relation to a 5 year old boy who was killed and the driver wasn't even drunk, he was driving west on Katella just before sunset so visibility was poor

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
09-13-2005, 11:10 PM
This is the second time this summer. :(

The first one was not drunk, but blinded by the sun.

What a terrible thing to happen.

Space Mountain Mike
09-14-2005, 12:01 AM
All the more reason to have overhead crosswalks. Four at Harbor & Katella (one in each direction), and one at the 1700 block of S Harbor Blvd and another four at Katella and West and perhaps another four at Harbor and Ball.

hlbtimes2
09-14-2005, 07:55 AM
How about they step up the plate of resonsiblilty maybe lowering the speed limits, setting the stop line for cars back further from the cross walks, more visual police force. .

None of those would have prevented the last two accidents. A walk way built over the street is the only thing that is going to prevent it.

Osky
09-14-2005, 08:07 AM
The first one was not drunk, but blinded by the sun.

What a terrible thing to happen.

I realize that. Second time a car has struck pedestrians. Something that definitely could have been avoided.

Lekta
09-14-2005, 09:16 AM
All the more reason to have overhead crosswalks. Four at Harbor & Katella (one in each direction), and one at the 1700 block of S Harbor Blvd and another four at Katella and West and perhaps another four at Harbor and Ball.

The problem we encountered before (after the young boy was killed) when brainstorming for ways to avoid this type of incident happening again is this: Harbor is considered a national defense highway and it must have clearance for all military vehicles to pass unimpeded, which would effectively cancel all ped bridges on Harbor altogether. However, Katella has no such use for the military, so that could have a ped bridge. In most peoples opinion, Harbor is the more congested, hence dangerous, of the two roads for pedestrians so it wouldn't really resolve most issues.

Lekta
09-14-2005, 09:18 AM
I feel so badly for the family, imagine a childhood memory of a day at Disneyland capped off by seeing your mother critically injured by a careless driver. That type of memory will certainly stay with those children forever and will likely be associated with going to Disneyland. Truly sad.

DaddyB
09-14-2005, 09:20 AM
If you can't go over, why not under?

hlbtimes2
09-14-2005, 09:21 AM
The problem we encountered before (after the young boy was killed) when brainstorming for ways to avoid this type of incident happening again is this: Harbor is considered a national defense highway and it must have clearance for all military vehicles to pass unimpeded, which would effectively cancel all ped bridges on Harbor altogether. However, Katella has no such use for the military, so that could have a ped bridge. In most peoples opinion, Harbor is the more congested, hence dangerous, of the two roads for pedestrians so it wouldn't really resolve most issues.

I wonder if maybe something like railroad crossing arms/ lights / bells would help? It wouldnt get in the way of defense vehicles, but it would be more visiable to drivers.

Lekta
09-14-2005, 09:25 AM
Probably a good idea, although, do you think it would have stopped the kid that was blinded by the sun or the driver that was too drunk to see a family and a red light in front of him?

Lekta
09-14-2005, 09:25 AM

Now that I like!

Osky
09-14-2005, 10:03 AM

True, but both accidents happened on Katella. Traffic is much heavier on Harbor, so you are less likely to have people doing 55 and not paying attention.

Space Mountain Mike
09-14-2005, 10:20 AM
all military vehicles to pass unimpeded, which would effectively cancel all ped bridges on Harbor altogether.

If anything, overhead ped bridges would alliviate this problem since vehicles would be passing under the pedestrian traffic

Probably a good idea, although, do you think it would have stopped the kid that was blinded by the sun?

I don't think you would have this issue on Harbor because it runs north and south, so the setting sun would be off to the side and not in front of you.

DISNEYfied
09-14-2005, 10:48 AM

While that may seem like a good idea, most underground passages usually attract as homes for... sometimes not the best of a characters. Unless security is beefed up, we might find a different sort of problem if underground passes are built. Plus I think it would take longer... and most importantly... who knows how much of Disney is already underground in that city.

RStar
09-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Knott's has this for ped traffic going under Beach Blvd. to the parking lot. I think this would be a good idea.

Osky
09-14-2005, 11:19 AM
While that may seem like a good idea, most underground passages usually attract as homes for... sometimes not the best of a characters. Unless security is beefed up, we might find a different sort of problem if underground passes are built. Plus I think it would take longer... and most importantly... who knows how much of Disney is already underground in that city.

Typically not ones that receive thousands of people per hour. Plus, if the anaheim police department drove thru on their golf cars every hour or so, and it was wide and well lit, then I doubt they would have that kind of problem.

olddumbguy
09-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Here is the thread from the other accident (last March 28)-

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=39512&page=1