PDA

View Full Version : New Rumor!

Pages : [1] 2

mckygirl99
09-12-2005, 07:28 PM
I was talking to a cast member I know and was told the property where the strawberry fields were on Harbor, across from the convention center is owned by Disney. She said there are projects in the works for either an adult-themed area such as Pleasure Island in WDW or a water park. I am all for the adult area. We have enough water parks here and it would only be seasonal b/c it does get too cold here in the winter.

Has anyone else heard about this project?

adriennek
09-12-2005, 07:30 PM
Has anyone else heard about this project?

Yep. They've been around for years.

Adrienne

disney jones
09-12-2005, 08:45 PM
yep. Strawberry Fields. Forever. :p :rolleyes:

but seriously, Jim Hill's Aug 26th Why For (http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1615) column had a good description of the history and continually evolving plans - it's about half way down the page.

And after California Adventure, i don't think anything will be built there for a long time.

TowerofTerror
09-12-2005, 09:27 PM
nope not true that rumor mentioned on here. I know the actual truth to the strawberry field

newportbeachbumz
09-13-2005, 06:31 AM
nope not true that rumor mentioned on here. I know the actual truth to the strawberry field
We're waiting..... :confused: What is the truth? :)

Sandiegoboy
09-13-2005, 06:33 AM
They are selling it to Knotts so they can make some more jelly for Dennys.

Vegitabeta
09-13-2005, 08:49 AM
They are selling it to Knotts so they can make some more jelly for Dennys.

:p

pisces
09-13-2005, 09:21 AM
I think they will build, and very soon, with property values exploding, and the threat that there might be a bust. They'd want to maximize the value of that land as quickly as possible. IMHO

And, it won't be another amusement park, those cost money to run, when they already have two to maintain. IMHO

The smartest thing to do with that land is build mixed-use shopping and residential. Major new Hotel/condos/time share, on the upper level, with shops and chain restaurants on the ground level.

By the way, I hate mixed-use. The two that I've seen Pasadena (Paseo Colorado), and Long Beach (Long Beach Plaza), don't appeal to me at all, and lack charm, and seem very generic. IMHO

However, I recognize that the market is favorable, short term, for mixed-use.

Right now, it's a win/win situation for both the city of Anaheim and Disney. Disney needs more hotels as they routinely sell-out, and conventions are better than ever. More hotels/residences mean more business for the ...existing Parks.

Anaheim has the highest bed-tax (15%) of anywhere. It would be crazy for the City not to utilize that with more lodging. Another amusement park doesn't help Anaheim collect on that tax. IMHO

Disney needs to funnel people into their existing Parks ie (lodging).....not build new ones that cost money to keep up. IMHO

olegc
09-13-2005, 10:45 AM
And they are already behind as compared to that other mixed use area being built just east of the park. I forget the name -but it has touted itself as being similar to DownTown Disney but "better"... shopping, shows, etc.

Disnerd
09-13-2005, 05:48 PM
You mean Anaheim Gardenwalk? The nicest weed filled empty lot in Southern California.

Alex S.
09-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that one of the forgotten reasons Walt located Disneyland where it is was because of the promise of the soon to be there Gardenwalk.

twist1980
09-13-2005, 08:28 PM
I actually heard about this back in 2000. I don't remember where I heard it from, but the rumor was enough to make me take a picture of the fields. It was taken from our hotel. And obviously we were told it was going to be a water park, because I named the photo "new water park."

Heres the link: http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/twist1980/NewWaterPark.jpg

olegc
09-13-2005, 09:41 PM
You mean Anaheim Gardenwalk? The nicest weed filled empty lot in Southern California.
yup - that's the one. Nice painted panels on the walls, though...

princessofpower
09-13-2005, 11:53 PM
I remember hearing somewhere (I think it was a shuttle driver from one of the hotels) that they had bought the land for a third theme park (fifty acres at one million dollars an acre), but since DCA wasn't doing well, the plans had been canceled, and the land was going to be leased out to a large hotel chain and a very large hotel was going to be built there. I also remember being on disney.com a loooong time ago and there was mention of a third park, and a link to www.thirdthemepark.com. It said "where we will be in 2003", and stay tuned, The web page is still around. If you go to it , it has a picture of a scene from tower of terror. Back then I had no idea what the picture was of and thought there would be a "haunted park" with a villians theme. so naive.

sleepyjeff
09-14-2005, 12:15 AM
"Strawberries, Strawberries"

What? This isn't the movie quote game?

:)

llarch
09-14-2005, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=princessofpower]I also remember being on disney.com a loooong time ago and there was mention of a third park, and a link to www.thirdthemepark.com. It said "where we will be in 2003", and stay tuned, The web page is still around. [QUOTE]

Did a Whois lookup on the domain "thirdthemepark.com", it is not a Disney domain, just a page some guy put up.

Clotho
09-14-2005, 05:09 PM
"Did a Whois lookup on the domain "thirdthemepark.com", it is not a Disney domain, just a page some guy put up."

Normally I would say that proves nothing, since Disney rarely buys up domains in their name, during development stages. It helps keep the secrets secret until the public information is released. However, this site is so completely below anything Disney would put up, even for a placeholder, it's gotta be some random guy who put it up.

princessofpower
09-14-2005, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=princessofpower]I also remember being on disney.com a loooong time ago and there was mention of a third park, and a link to www.thirdthemepark.com. It said "where we will be in 2003", and stay tuned, The web page is still around. [QUOTE]

Did a Whois lookup on the domain "thirdthemepark.com", it is not a Disney domain, just a page some guy put up.

This is the web page I found the link on.It is a disney web page...so I assumed the web page had something to do with disney.:

http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/college/disneyland/index.html :confused:

DISNEYfied
09-14-2005, 05:34 PM
I personally hope its a new park... but I hope they take into consideration WHY DCA hasn't worked. They need something new, original and exciting w/ the classic Disney storytelling. Although... new movies that actually do well with the public might help.... :rolleyes:

MrsPooh
09-14-2005, 06:01 PM
I remember hearing somewhere (I think it was a shuttle driver from one of the hotels) that they had bought the land for a third theme park (fifty acres at one million dollars an acre), but since DCA wasn't doing well, the plans had been canceled

I have to laugh because we had this discussion once, I forgot when, but several of us, myself included, heard this from a shuttle bus driver. Either we all had the same guy, or those shuttle bus guys hang out together with the same stories! :rolleyes: ;)

twist1980
10-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Did you all read the article that MousePlanet has on the site today? It talks about the City of Anaheims plans for the famous strawberry fields. Very interesting...make sure you read it! I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks of these plans!

Here is the link: :D
http://www.mouseplanet.com/david/dk051006.htm

mkcbunny
10-08-2005, 05:18 PM
That's really interesting. The pics are very helpful to visualizing it all. I'm not sure what to think. On the one hand, it seems to make a lot more things accessible without a car, which I favor because I never want to rent a car when I am there and therefore rarely get out of the immediate park zone. On the other hand, a lot of people may be displaced. I am most curious about how the local Anaheim Padders feel about it.

Another Dimension
10-08-2005, 08:40 PM
I am most curious about how the local Anaheim Padders feel about it.

As a long time Anaheimer.. Bah!!

Anaheim has well enough east <-> west heading, wide streets, full of trees, nice walking areas, plenty of restaurants and 1000s of other shops already.

La Palma, Lincoln, Ball and Katella streets already move enough traffic east and west and Katella and Ball do just fine for Stadium, Arena, Freeway, Theme Parks and Convention Center traffic flow and commerce already.

Hey Anaheim City Planners, I'd like another theme park, thank you. :D

Disnerd
10-08-2005, 08:59 PM
And don't forget that any new project will have to fight H.O.M.E. Home Owners Maintaining Their Enivroment. The same local group that helped kill WESCOT. Plus the city has a whole mess of law suits from mobile home owners who are loossing their homes for this project. Now throw in the problems with Gardenwalk and you have a whole lot of nothing happening in Anaheim. If this project was a go the OC Register would be all over it. Don't believe me? Go take a peek over the walls at Gardenwalk. Not one weed has been pulled out of the ground. And try to find one retailer who has signed up for this. If Gardenwalk had any tennants they would be advertised on that great looking plywood wall that surrounds the site.

Another Dimension
10-08-2005, 09:25 PM
Go take a peek over the walls at Gardenwalk. Not one weed has been pulled out of the ground. And try to find one retailer who has signed up for this. If Gardenwalk had any tennants they would be advertised on that great looking plywood wall that surrounds the site.

The May issue of Anaheim Magazine (with Matt Ouimet and Mickey on the cover) says the Anaheim Gardenwalk area has new co-owners (as of early 2005), is lining up new tenants (their own, not the previous owners lined up clientele) and that the city of Anaheim planning commisson is working with the new owners to make the Anaheim Gardenwalk finally a reality.

It just takes time. Even with the help of the city and especially with the new owners in charge of development.
And it's now got new owners/co-owners, that are actually two development companies working on it. Anaheim is well aware of what was happening and wasn't, and what is actually happening now. Supposedly.

If nothing was happening with it at all, the property wouldn't have made an early summer article in the Anaheim Magazine.
The same magazine that is hyping and drooling all over those Platinum Triangle plans with the new football stadium and the further improving of some Anaheim areas, like the blocks around the Anaheim Resort got in 2000/2001.

I'd still rather have the Anaheim Gardenwalk (built like the old concept pics, or something new) and a 3rd Anaheim theme park owned and operated (or maybe not owned and operated by Disney, hmm..), then have Anaheim actually build the bloated the Plati-numb Triangle and also build just another super-wide, tree lined East-West major avenue cutting thru the middle of Anaheim and over the 5 and displace 10,000s of families and businesses.