PDA

View Full Version : Best Steak?

Pages : [1] 2

minniemom
09-12-2005, 04:45 PM
When we go in a few weeks, my husband and I are planning on leaving the kids with grandma one night and enjoying a dinner by ourselves. Where is the best place to eat in either one of the parks, on properity hotels or in DTD?

What we would really like to know is where the best steak is? Or who has the yummiest dinner?

Any ideas?

Dexter
09-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Well, if you want on property dining, Granvilles and The Napa Rose are the on-property steak places of choice. I've personally eaten at Granvilles and found their steak to be good, but it wasn't anything to write home about. The price tag associated with that steak was um a bit steep.

Friends of mine have eaten at The Napa Rose and from what they told me, it's basically Granvilles with a different name.

Other on property dining experiences are:

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen - Creole
http://www.rbjazzkitchen.com/menu_detail.php?menu=6

Catal and the Uva Bar - Modern
http://www.patinagroup.com/catal/

Naples - Italian
http://www.patinagroup.com/naples/

Tortilla Jo's - Mexican
http://www.patinagroup.com/tortillaJos/

ESPN Zone
http://www.espnzone.com/

Rainforest Cafe
http://www.rainforestcafe.com/

There's a bennihana and an El Torito south of the park on Ball. I personally like bennihana, but it's a little on the pricey side as well, but they usually put on a good show.

adriennek
09-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Well, if you want on property dining, Granvilles and The Napa Rose are the on-property steak places of choice.

I would call the Napa Rose a really yummy dinner but I'm not sure I would call it a 'steak place'. They'll have steak. And I'm sure if you wanted to cusomize your order, they'll make you "just" a steak. But off the menu, the steak will come with a sauce and/or some other dishes that, if you were expecting a traditional steak meal, might not be quite what you're looking for.

For a more traditional steak dinner, I'd say Granville's is a traditional steak dinner place.

For a really great and nice meal, it's no secret that Napa Rose is my very favorite restaurant in the resort. But your steak might look more like something from an episode of Iron Chef than a traditional steak ;) In my book, that's a good thing, but I just want to prepare you. :)

Edited to add:

Friends of mine have eaten at The Napa Rose and from what they told me, it's basically Granvilles with a different name.

The last time I ate at Granvilles, the menu was several cuts of steak, surf and turf, and a few non-beef dishes. Napa Rose is a different kind of menu. It changes seasonally. I consider it more "Cuisine" than "Steak". I'm sure someone else can explain it better than I could. Their price-points are similar but I don't think their menus are. Granvilles is more traditional, IMO.

Granville's Menu from June 2005 (http://www.dlresortinfo.com/disneylandhotelrestaurants/grandvilles/granvilleadult.html)

Napa Rose Menu from June 2005 (http://www.dlresortinfo.com/grandcalifornianrestaurants/naparose/naparose.html)

Adrienne

10-97
09-12-2005, 07:30 PM
We've had good steaks at Granville's Steak House, Hook's Pointe, and Storyteller's Cafe.

Granville's has the biggest selection.

cstephens
09-12-2005, 07:43 PM
If I wanted good steak and just good steak, I certainly wouldn't go to Napa Rose. Napa Rose is so much more, and going there just for steak if you like other stuff is, imo, a waste. Grandville's does have very good steak. Catal has a very good filet as well as prime rib as a special on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. As I recall, steak was pretty good at Hook's too, but it was a while ago that I was there.

As for yummiest dinner, my preferences would be Napa Rose, then Catal. I personally like Tortilla Jo's as well. For what I presume to be a rare dinner without the kids, I would avoid the Jazz Kitchen (not worth what they charge, imo), Naples (still heard bad things about it), Rainforest Cafe (no kids and still go there?) and ESPN Zone (unless you're big sports fans and don't mind a lot of noise). I enjoyed our trip to Granville's and Hook's and Storyteller's as well.

Have a great time!

mkcbunny
09-12-2005, 07:49 PM
I accept everyone's points about Napa Rose vis a vis the "steak experience," but I did order the rib-eye at Napa Rose this past May, and it was incredibly good. Not to mention huge. I took leftovers home for lunch the next day. I have never been to Granville's, but I do know and love a good hunk of meat.

So I'd recommend getting more opinions, but if you think you might like the rib-eye but perhaps want to leave the door open for other options, I have to recommend Napa Rose for an adult dining experience. It's pricey, but it's delicious.

adriennek
09-12-2005, 07:59 PM
For what I presume to be a rare dinner without the kids, I would avoid the Jazz Kitchen (not worth what they charge, imo), Naples (still heard bad things about it), Rainforest Cafe (no kids and still go there?) and ESPN Zone (unless you're big sports fans and don't mind a lot of noise).

I totally agree with cstephens about Jazz Kitchen, Naples, RC and ESPN Zone.

Adrienne - a mom with rare dinner opportunities with my hunky husband and no kids. Napa Rose is always on my top 3 list. ;)

minniemom
09-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the menus. Based on the menus, I think I would pick Napa Rose. Can you go in some what casual clothes? After a day at the park, going to the hotel to change sounds like work!!! Would we feel out of place if we didn't dress up a bit?

I would call the Napa Rose a really yummy dinner but I'm not sure I would call it a 'steak place'. They'll have steak. And I'm sure if you wanted to cusomize your order, they'll make you "just" a steak. But off the menu, the steak will come with a sauce and/or some other dishes that, if you were expecting a traditional steak meal, might not be quite what you're looking for.

For a more traditional steak dinner, I'd say Granville's is a traditional steak dinner place.

For a really great and nice meal, it's no secret that Napa Rose is my very favorite restaurant in the resort. But your steak might look more like something from an episode of Iron Chef than a traditional steak ;) In my book, that's a good thing, but I just want to prepare you. :)

Edited to add:

The last time I ate at Granvilles, the menu was several cuts of steak, surf and turf, and a few non-beef dishes. Napa Rose is a different kind of menu. It changes seasonally. I consider it more "Cuisine" than "Steak". I'm sure someone else can explain it better than I could. Their price-points are similar but I don't think their menus are. Granvilles is more traditional, IMO.

Granville's Menu from June 2005 (http://www.dlresortinfo.com/disneylandhotelrestaurants/grandvilles/granvilleadult.html)

Napa Rose Menu from June 2005 (http://www.dlresortinfo.com/grandcalifornianrestaurants/naparose/naparose.html)

Adrienne

adriennek
09-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the menus. Based on the menus, I think I would pick Napa Rose. Can you go in some what casual clothes? After a day at the park, going to the hotel to change sounds like work!!! Would we feel out of place if we didn't dress up a bit?

You won't. Because it's right there in the resort, there will be other resort guests that will be dressed somewhat casually. There will be people dressed up a little bit more but it's not required.

If you and your husband like wine, NR has a great wine list, too!

Adrienne

mkcbunny
09-12-2005, 08:43 PM
You won't. Because it's right there in the resort, there will be other resort guests that will be dressed somewhat casually. There will be people dressed up a little bit more but it's not required.

And although some people will do it, there's a wide variety of dress and the staff is friendly and really doesn't care. They know we're all in the parks during the day. I think the folks who really dress up just have time to do it and are probably at the GC anyway, so it's not as much work. I never bring anything too fancy, and I've seen a wide range of clothing there.

adriennek
09-12-2005, 09:35 PM
I think the folks who really dress up just have time to do it and are probably at the GC anyway, so it's not as much work. I never bring anything too fancy, and I've seen a wide range of clothing there.

Well the reason we dress up is we're locals ;) We aren't usually staying in a local hotel at all, but we're making a special trip to just go to dinner at NR. I think there are a number of locals who do that. But even I was surprised when Doc put on a tie for our anniversary dinner in July. He wanted me to feel special. awwwwwwwwww.

Also some people come to the area on business, not necessarily on vacation. Once we went to dinner at NR when we were staying at the Marriott for a convention, so that explained our dress that evening.

Adrienne

TowerofTerror
09-12-2005, 09:38 PM
The Tenderloin AKA known as the flaming young sorry I'm thinking super market terms since I work at one

minniemom
09-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Has the NR switched over to a fall menu? If so, has anyone seen it?

olddumbguy
09-13-2005, 12:48 PM
I really enjoyed the prime rib at Blue Bayou.

mkcbunny
09-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Has the NR switched over to a fall menu? If so, has anyone seen it?
They still have the Summer menu posted Here (http://www.dlresortinfo.com/grandcalifornianrestaurants/naparose/naparose.html), but maybe someone local and obsessed with Napa Rose [oooooh Adriennek..... :)] can tell us if [or when] they've changed to Fall.

Clotho
09-15-2005, 12:15 AM
We adore Napa Rose. Period.

As for how to dress, I would personally feel very underdressed in "all day park clothes". Aside from the fact that I hate walking around, sweating and chafing in clothes all day only to wear them all evening as well, the atmosphere at Napa is really really lovely. Not intimidating, and certainly no one will bat an eye if you come in in jean shorts and a tee shirt, but *I* would feel out of place dressed like that, even if everyone else were dressed that way. It just doesn't fit.

Besides, the ritual of getting cleaned up and ready to go out for an evening makes for an overall more special and memorable experience. Why not splurge a little and make it a nice night out?

geoffa
09-15-2005, 02:55 AM
Well the reason we dress up is we're locals ;) We aren't usually staying in a local hotel at all, but we're making a special trip to just go to dinner at NR. I think there are a number of locals who do that. But even I was surprised when Doc put on a tie for our anniversary dinner in July. He wanted me to feel special. awwwwwwwwww.

Also some people come to the area on business, not necessarily on vacation. Once we went to dinner at NR when we were staying at the Marriott for a convention, so that explained our dress that evening.

Adrienne

Napa Rose for sure. Dress SMART casual - no jeans or trainers and certainly NO SHORTS!

Failing that - try Catal in Downtown Disney - modern cuisine and yes you can get steak.

geoffa :fez:

JeffG
09-15-2005, 10:45 AM
Napa Rose for sure. Dress SMART casual - no jeans or trainers and certainly NO SHORTS!

Jeans or shorts are fine at Napa Rose. The atmosphere there is "resort casual" and the only type of dress that would likely be turned away would be swimwear. Certainly some will prefer to dress up a bit more there, but it is far from being mandatory and I doubt anyone would feel out of place at all in decent-looking jeans or shorts.

-Jeff

VickiC
09-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Two different posters recently posted at Tripadvisor that they canceled their Napa Rose reservations becuase the menu was "weird"!!!!

Clotho
09-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Two different posters recently posted at Tripadvisor that they canceled their Napa Rose reservations becuase the menu was "weird"!!!!

Well, when you're only used to eatin' the 'coon that pappy catches out behind the shed for dinner, then yes, Napa Rose's cuisine might qualify as "wierd".

cstephens
09-16-2005, 09:50 AM

I can understand that. If you're used to traditional fare, then Napa Rose probably isn't the place to go.

09-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Well, when you're only used to eatin' the 'coon that pappy catches out behind the shed for dinner, then yes, Napa Rose's cuisine might qualify as "wierd".

I've only been to Napa Rose once (last October). The food was very good but the service was closer to hick than slick.

Here's what happened: the waiter forgot our sides, there was a little bit of fuss about that, and then praised us for doing "a good job" with our food when he came to clear.

Has anyone else had this experience?

adriennek
09-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Here's what happened: the waiter forgot our sides, there was a little bit of fuss about that, and then praised us for doing "a good job" with our food when he came to clear.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Not even close.

Our first time there we couldn't decide between two bottles of wine. Michael was working that night (the manager and sommelier). He talked to us briefly about what we like, recommended a bottle of wine (very highly I might add and it didn't even have a very high price tag for a red.) We took his recommendation.

Later our waiter came by (a young fellow, too, btw,) with the wine we decided against. He said, "I just thought you might like to taste the wine you didn't choose and see if you made the right choice." It was no where near as good as the wine we had chosen. We were SO glad we had not chosen it! Then for dessert, with my creme brulee, he brought me a glass of dessert wine which I had not even ordered!! "This is going to go perfectly with your dessert, so have it with my compliments."

It. Was. Heavenly! Sooo creamy and buttery. And I don't usually even "do" dessert wines.

So, no. No hick service ;)

Adrienne

09-16-2005, 11:21 AM
So, no. No hick service

Good to hear! Next time, I think you'd better come along. Deal?

cstephens
09-16-2005, 11:40 AM
Good to hear! Next time, I think you'd better come along. Deal?

I don't know that you're going to be able to force her to go to that place...