PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Update: Getting Around the Photographers

Pages : [1] 2

phoenixfire2k5
09-12-2005, 11:39 AM
I read the weekly update and came upon the part about the aggressive photographers. Now this isn't about the paparazzi, although I do feel that their actions as of late need to be dealt with, this thread is more about the ones at the Dland resort parks and gettng around them. I never have any problems with them because I usually go by myself. But that is the key here. The CM photographers only go after groups of 2 or more. So, if you want to get around them, when you see yourself approaching them and do not want to be hounded by them, do one of the following....

1. Stop, be strong and firm with them, saying loudly "No thanks, I do not want any pictures. Please leave me alone." And that should work. If not, try this.....

2. If you are in a group of 2 or more, and see yourself approaching them.....split your group up. Separate completely. Go beyond these CMs competely solo. Scatter around them, make yourself look like a person walking by yourself and THEY WILL leave you alone. They don't bother taking pictures of something who appears to be by themselves. This one should work like a charm. Just separate briefly, and there should be no problem.

Andrew
09-12-2005, 11:41 AM
2. If you are in a group of 2 or more, and see yourself approaching them.....split your group up. Separate completely. Go beyond these CMs competely solo. Scatter around them, make yourself look like a person walking by yourself and THEY WILL leave you alone. They don't bother taking pictures of something who appears to be by themselves. This one should work like a charm. Just separate briefly, and there should be no problem.
Bob?

DisneyDustin22
09-12-2005, 11:46 AM
Or you could just ignore them all together. Or just take the picture.

DaddyB
09-12-2005, 12:31 PM
I've never had a problem. Besides, if I'm with a group, why not take the picture?

Osky
09-12-2005, 12:37 PM
I just say no and ignore them. Sometimes I want a family pic, and then I seek them out. But if I do not want one, I say no and keep ongoing. If they stepped in front of me, I would just keep walking right on through them.

PrincessAmie
09-12-2005, 01:01 PM
We just say, "No, Thankyou." and keep walking.

cstephens
09-12-2005, 01:09 PM
I haven't run across an aggressive photographer at the resort yet, but I'm dismayed to hear that they are there. When a photographer has asked, we usually just shake our heads or say "no thanks", and they wander away. I would be annoyed if they were more persistent than that or actually blocked my way. We ran into some *very* aggressive photographers at Magic Mountain a few years back, and it definitely ruined the early part of our day. Starting the day arguing with someone because you're not interested in having your picture taken is not my idea of having a good time.

We were told yesterday that the photographers were actually not Disney employees but rather, were employees of Kodak. Maybe Disney needs to be told that their un-Disney behaviour is not appreciated and detracts from one's enjoyment of the resort?

SassyNYLady
09-12-2005, 01:18 PM
"No thank you" has always worked well for us.

disney jones
09-12-2005, 01:27 PM
one look at me and my crew, and we're usually ignored. :p

seriously.

no one meeses with a grungy dad pushing a loaded stroller obviously on a mission.

phillyorig
09-12-2005, 01:43 PM
one look at me and my crew, and we're usually ignored. :p

seriously.

no one meeses with a grungy dad pushing a loaded stroller obviously on a mission.

That sounds like us.
When they saw us 9 this past June, it was like..NO WAY!!!! :D They wouldn't even approach us lol

I came back from the potty and I was asked. I said "the way I look!!" NO.

Why take a pic when u can't afford to get it. It's time off me and time is precious in DL! lol

sambo
09-12-2005, 04:46 PM
I usually pull my camera out and ask to take their picture. Quite a few have said yes, and some just move on to the next mark. I thought it was interesting to watch their reaction...

phoenixfire2k5
09-13-2005, 06:31 AM
lol andrew.....

Just so there are no misunderstandings, I only meant this as a solution to aggressive photographers that MIGHT, keyword might, hound you to take a picture.

dsnyredhead
09-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Don't make eye contact. That's my rule.

lauramaynot
09-13-2005, 11:28 AM
my theory - take every picture that they ask you to and then don't buy any of them. I am hoping they will start to recognize me and realize it is a waste of their time and $$$ :D

DisneyDustin22
09-13-2005, 11:36 AM
It's good to have them because when you are with a family, or a group, someone always has to hold the camera, or you have to find a nice person to take the picture for you. In this case, everyone gets to be in the picture and you're not putting anyone out of their way by asking them to stop and take a photo of you. The downside, they hassle you so much, people don't like to stop any more based on that. Plus, I don't agree that the picture they take is worth $16 for a 5x7. Do you know how many 5x7's i can get at savon for that price!? ;)

tinkluver
09-13-2005, 11:39 AM
If I'm in a mood for a group photo, I let them take their picture and then hand them one of our cameras and ask them to take a picture with that too. And there we go - free group photo :D

Whittibo
09-13-2005, 12:01 PM
I have never had anyone bug us, heck, I can't even remember being ASKED if we wanted our picture taken. Usually they are just standing around, and we ask THEM to take ours! LOL..

Last year I was actually going to buy our "family photo" from Disneyland, but they turned out awful. The ones in my camera weren't that bad, but I wasn't going to pay for a bad picture. I wish they would have gotten a good one.

I also wish they had a special backdrop, like a FAKE castle that you don't get other people walking around you in. I would LOVE to have a nice family portrait each year with a nice background (without strangers).

They have something similar in DCA, they take your picture, and impose (is that the correct term??) it over a background. I think they need to do something like that in DL!

MrsPooh
09-13-2005, 12:44 PM
I haven't really had any problems. Sometimes I do it, sometimes not, depending on my mood. They do seem more aggressive in DCA than DL.

Alex S.
09-18-2005, 03:49 PM
I missed this thread but it is interesting in that most people here are saying that they haven't really had a problem and most of the emails I've received in response are telling me what a problem it is.

Several people in email suggested that they don't go after solo people and to split up groups. The worst experience I had last weekend that prompted the item in the update was just me. I was all by myself, weighed down with a large camera bag (containing a camera almost as good as theirs) and a computer bag. I was in a hurry and sweating like a pig. I was cutting through the park to get to Whitewater Cafe where I could sit in silence and get some work done.

I was walking with purpose. I got asked four time by the horde under the Golden Gate Bridge, one of whom physically moved in my way, making me walk around him. Then I got hit up by another photographer just before the GCH exit.

The day before I ran the gauntlet with AVP and had much the same experience with several of the photographers asking us. Actually, they weren't asking, they were telling. It wasn't "would you like a picture taken" but "stand right here and have your picture taken."

Over at DL, the photgraphers would just kind of indicate with the camera and if you didn't want one they'd move on.

I'm sure it is just the traffic differences between the two parks but is there any reason for having so many photographers at the Golden Gate Bridge? I didn't count, but it seemed like there were at least 10 stationed there, meaning that they pretty much outnumbered the traffic at any moment in time.

ghoofie
09-18-2005, 09:54 PM
We just say, "No, Thankyou." and keep walking.

We just keep walking by. BUT...one thing I started doing recently,
when I see them, I walk real fast up to them with my digi camera
in hand and ask if I can take THEIR picture. They get the hint
real fast and don't even ask. I do it all in a fun way and they
usually chuckle along with us.

TowerofTerror
09-18-2005, 10:24 PM
THATs what I do too for a picture

coronado_g
09-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Whittibo ~ Thank goodness I'm not the only one who's NEVER been asked or harrassed by the photog CMs.

blackjackdelta
09-19-2005, 08:01 AM
We are a family of six, just there in August, and not one photog ever approached us...

Disneylandfan 1967
09-19-2005, 08:28 AM
I find it almost amusing that we are even having a discussion about this subject. It's like we are sharing tips about how to avoid the petition poeple outside the grocery store, or, back in the day, the Hari Krishnas at the airport.

We shouldn't have to do that at a Disney park. I for one have never had a rude encounter with any of the photographers, and a simple "no, thank you"
usually does the trick. BUT, why should I have to deal with it at all. While it may be a convenience for the people who actually WANT their pictures taken, for the larger percentage who don't, it is just a solicitation. I HATE being solicited. I hate it in the real world, and I certainly don't want solicitations, however brief and friendly, breaking up the day I've set aside
(and payed BIG bucks for) to get away from the real world and immerse myself and my family in a little fantasy.

All Disney parks (even California Adventure) are designed to magically capture your attention and draw you into another world as soon as you enter the gates. "Can I take your picture?" "Can I take your picture?" As if I were
entering some third world flea market kinda spoils some of that magic for me.

It seems kinda unneccessary.

sambo
09-19-2005, 11:07 PM
We just keep walking by. BUT...one thing I started doing recently,
when I see them, I walk real fast up to them with my digi camera
in hand and ask if I can take THEIR picture. They get the hint
real fast and don't even ask. I do it all in a fun way and they
usually chuckle along with us.
Wow - seems to be an echo in here... :p