PDA

View Full Version : Question about driving from Portland To DL

weluvdisney
09-12-2005, 07:35 AM
During December is it generally possible to drive down I-5 or does it frequently close due to snow? Airlines are spendy so we are considering driving(of course flights are always spendy out of PDX)

sleepyjeff
09-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Just bring chains for the dirve over the Siskyious. Late December does see a few Winter Stroms but generally the severe stuff doesn't hit until Jan.

weluvdisney
09-12-2005, 07:47 AM
Have you done the drive before?

Alex S.
09-12-2005, 07:50 AM
Siskiyou Pass (south of Ashland, OR., on the California pass) is going to be the point of greatest concern. I do this drive around Christmas (though in the other direction) and in five trips or so only once has it actively been snowing during the drive.

There is a risk that that it would be temporarily closed though they are good about keeping it plowed. If time is not of the essence and you don't fancy the risk, I would suggest driving I-5 down to Eugene and then cutting over to Coos Bay and taking 101 down to the Bay Area where you can cut back over to I-5 and continue on.

This will add maybe five hours to your drive time though. It is much prettier and cold rain is about the worst you would have to worry about.

weluvdisney
09-12-2005, 07:53 AM
I never thought about the 101 part. Thanks for the tip. Might be good since hubby hasn't ever seen that area before. Maybe we can make it to DL before Christmas after all. We love the decorations

oregontraveler
09-12-2005, 08:09 AM
Bring the chains just in case. They close the pass from Ashland to Yreka. Also, from Yreka to Redding, you might have some snow in the Mt. Shasta area. You can also get to 101 from Grants Pass, taking 199 down to Crescent City, CA. Although it is narrow & windy. tripcheck.com has pass cams & conditions.

amarvel
09-12-2005, 08:30 AM
When we drive down during this part of the year we do the coos bay 1010 route, its great and although takes longer you dont have to worry about the mountains. Although you can check the weather and sometimes the syskious arent bad. But if you plan on going the 101 route and then can go over the mountains you just save time :)

disneyhound
09-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Fly!

I just booked a hotel for 4 nights and two round trip tickets from Oregon for just over $600 on expedia. No driving, a few hours after we depart we are in the park, a lot less stress than 10 hours on I-5. Your driving expense in gas alone has to be near $150 and you lose two days vacation time, fly... ;)

I just pulled up my itinerary at expedia, changed my departure to Portland, the price went up $60 to about $685. You can leve at 6:00AM and get to LAX a little after 8:00AM, to your hotel across the street from the main gate by about 9:30AM, into the park by say 10:00AM that morning. Your return flight leaves 5 days later at 7:20PM, so you have most of the last day in the park, in Portland around 9:30PM. How great is that! See you in the park Baby!!! :D :D

tinksmom
09-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Either last year or the year before the 5 closed in the Siskiyous for something like two days. I have seen wrecks on that road in the summer, too

Fly!

DCADude
09-12-2005, 04:06 PM
yes take 101 throught Eureka ( no not Yreka) and come pick me up and take me with you.

minniemom
09-12-2005, 04:28 PM
yes take 101 throught Eureka ( no not Yreka) and come pick me up and take me with you.

Hate to tell you, but there is a Eureka and a Yreka. Eureka is on the coast and you would go through it on 101. Yreka is on the other side of the mountain from Oregon on I5.