PDA

View Full Version : Finally People Stand Up In "Remember"! Yes!

Pages : [1] 2

Mickey
09-11-2005, 11:21 PM
Anyone saw the Senior Cast Member walking through people screaming: "ITS STAND UP TIME!!!!"....??? It was the best... No problems with the Remember show last Saturday. (Sep 10 2005) :D

ChipmunkStar
09-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Anyone saw the Senior Cast Member walking through people screaming: "ITS STAND UP TIME!!!!"....??? It was the best... No problems with the Remember show last Saturday. (Sep 10 2005) :D

Let me guess, was he Older, in a Critter Country costume, and named Bob?

I can't stand that guy... he makes everyone stand over 30 minutes before the show near the river for Fantasmic... He also shines his flashlight on you if you don't stand when he tells you to. Sorry, bud, but I'll stand up when the show is starting. Until then, let me rest my feet for a few more precious moments and let me be!!!!

Osky
09-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Yes. Saw him on Friday night. A nice cast member came by at 8:30 and told us that the street is standing room only and that they will require everyone to stand at 9:15. Fireworks start at 9:25. No big deal. Then this guy comes through saying it is stand up time, singing it over and over again, and it was 8:45...

FantasmicFanatic
09-12-2005, 12:52 AM
I love Bob!!!!!!!

Gone2Disneyland
09-12-2005, 07:14 AM

I was there on Saturday night when the senior CM walked thru the crowd. Without warning, all we heard was "STAND UP!.....STAND UP!......STAND UP!...." as he waded thru the seated crowd. Initially, we thought maybe he was making way for a trash bin trying to get thru. Because I've seen the show from that portion of the hub several times this summer, the latest as recently as two weeks ago, I expected no changes and expected to be able to remain comfortably seated as I always have. In addition, having that area remain seated is also appreciated by my vertically-challenged friend and her 7-year old daughter. So we were very surprised when the whole standing thing happened. Unfortunately, no one in our group (and seemingly anyone else around us, and we were there for two hours) received any warning of any kind from any "nice cast member" as grundler had. So we were disappointed when it happened, I especially because it came out of left field for me at my favorite "Remember..." viewing spot. But I'll survive, now that I know that's the expectation, even after three months of getting used and comfortable to the sitting thing (which, yes, I know isn't everyone's cup of tea here :) ).

weluvdisney
09-12-2005, 07:31 AM
I kind of enjoyed everyone sitting up in front myself-thats why we saved a bench for 3 hours. Oh well standing works too.

DaddyB
09-12-2005, 09:09 AM
I was there on Saturday night when the senior CM walked thru the crowd. Without warning, all we heard was "STAND UP!.....STAND UP!......STAND UP!...." as he waded thru the seated crowd. Initially, we thought maybe he was making way for a trash bin trying to get thru. Because I've seen the show from that portion of the hub several times this summer, the latest as recently as two weeks ago, I expected no changes and expected to be able to remain comfortably seated as I always have. In addition, having that area remain seated is also appreciated by my vertically-challenged friend and her 7-year old daughter. So we were very surprised when the whole standing thing happened. Unfortunately, no one in our group (and seemingly anyone else around us, and we were there for two hours) received any warning of any kind from any "nice cast member" as grundler had. So we were disappointed when it happened, I especially because it came out of left field for me at my favorite "Remember..." viewing spot. But I'll survive, now that I know that's the expectation, even after three months of getting used and comfortable to the sitting thing (which, yes, I know isn't everyone's cup of tea here :) ).

I think you may have been near my wife and I right dead center of the castle, at the curb. Our little ad hoc group was pretty dissapointed...

I don't know Mickey could say that the castmember was "screaming". It was just an old man walking through the crowd using a sing-song voice. "Stand up. It's stand up time". Perhaps more like a popcorn barker at a baseball game than going through the crowd "screaming". I didn't see any castmember badge or anything like that on him, so I thought it was some joker who wished he was a castmember making people stand up so that he could get through the crowd.

...But did you notice that they are now routing people from fantasyland right in front of the castle???!!!! So the people sitting on the sidewalk closest to the catle have people constantly walking in front of them. That's gotta be annoying even when they're standing! That just seems like a rotten thing to do to people so close to the castle.

It looks like the only true sitting area now is right in front of the castle, a few feet from the rope...

That is very unfriendly. IMO.

Osky
09-12-2005, 09:27 AM
...But did you notice that they are now routing people from fantasyland right in front of the castle???!!!! So the people sitting on the sidewalk closest to the catle have people constantly walking in front of them. That's gotta be annoying even when they're standing! That just seems like a rotten thing to do to people so close to the castle.

The people walking didn't bug me. The constant barking of two cast members saying "one-way only traffic. Keep moving." was annoying. I was on the street right at the curb where people were walking in fron of me. The constant directions from the CMs lasted the whole performance, and was really loud, as they wanted to make sure that everyone heard them over the music and narration. It really ruined the performance for me.

DisneyDustin22
09-12-2005, 09:57 AM
The people walking didn't bug me. The constant barking of two cast members saying "one-way only traffic. Keep moving." was annoying. I was on the street right at the curb where people were walking in fron of me. The constant directions from the CMs lasted the whole performance, and was really loud, as they wanted to make sure that everyone heard them over the music and narration. It really ruined the performance for me.

I agree, that can be rather annoying, but I think it just means that people like you and I are that much smarter because we know we don't have to be told over and over and over again to stay to our right, or one way only! It is those people who blank facely walk into the oncoming traffic like salmon swimming upstream that makes the CM's have to shout. I'm sure they don't want to be doing it. But I'm sure they're just trying to watch their backs as well as to not have a guest get trampled on their watch. I just try to zone it out. But you're right, it can be distracting.

DaddyB
09-12-2005, 09:59 AM
The people walking didn't bug me. The constant barking of two cast members saying "one-way only traffic. Keep moving." was annoying. I was on the street right at the curb where people were walking in fron of me. The constant directions from the CMs lasted the whole performance, and was really loud, as they wanted to make sure that everyone heard them over the music and narration. It really ruined the performance for me.ooh! I hadn't thought of that! I'd be down at City hall as fast as the crowd would let me after the ending.

Talk about bad show!

Gone2Disneyland
09-12-2005, 10:23 AM
I think you may have been near my wife and I right dead center of the castle, at the curb. Our little ad hoc group was pretty dissapointed...

It looks like the only true sitting area now is right in front of the castle, a few feet from the rope...
We were to the left of center, standing/sitting on and around the bench at that corner of the sidewalk behind you.

I was the most disappointed of our little group, who for the most part simply took it in stride. A good thing, since I talked up the fact it was an all-sitting location. Oh, well.

Yes, I did notice the stream of walking people towards the front of the castle during the show. That new set-up seemed to justify imo why the senior CM (whom I remember was dressed in the typical security costume) called everyone up. If everyone was seated during the show, we'd still see the stream of walkers and it would definitely have been a show mood-killer.

mad4mky
09-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Actually...I liked sitting through the show...I DON'T want to stand up!

DaddyB
09-12-2005, 10:44 AM
We were to the left of center, standing/sitting on and around the bench at that corner of the sidewalk behind you.

The folks with the build-a-bear box?

oh, never mind. it doesn't matter.

EvanRude
09-12-2005, 10:50 AM
I have not been to DL in 3 years, but I do not ever recall standing for the fireworks.
I'm sorry but is this something new?
If so I've just been outa the loop to long.

So if I may ask a question..Where is the seated section?
THanks

Mark Mywords
09-12-2005, 01:16 PM

We were over just off of the hub in front of the Plaza Pavilion. We had a older CM walk by and in a very pleasant voice say "It's time to stand up" It was about 10 minutes before showtime.

Interestingly enough, a younger CM in a white shirt and slacks and headset came by and said we could sit back down if we wanted. Most people remained standing.

I do have to say that crowd control/management for Remember has really improved since our last trip (late June).

Oh, and BTW, we love Bob. He always hands out lollipops to our kids.

FantasmicFanatic
09-12-2005, 03:44 PM
ooh! I hadn't thought of that! I'd be down at City hall as fast as the crowd would let me after the ending.

Talk about bad show!
We have to scream "keep moving" because if we don't the aisle will stop moving and if (GOD FORBID) you or someone you loved had a heart attack, it would take anywhere from 3x to 10x as long for help to get to you. We aren't there trying to ruin the show, we are there for safety.

FF

Osky
09-12-2005, 03:55 PM
We have to scream "keep moving" because if we don't the aisle will stop moving and if (GOD FORBID) you or someone you loved had a heart attack, it would take anywhere from 3x to 10x as long for help to get to you. We aren't there trying to ruin the show, we are there for safety.

FF

Yes, but they don't need to have the walkway on the castle side of the hub in the front of where everyone is looking. That would be similar to having people watch fantasmic from where the walkway is now, and then having the first six feet or so right along the river used as a walkway. Then you can walk in front of everyone watching the show and yell at the people in the walkway to keep moving.

DangerMouse
09-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Yes, but they don't need to have the walkway on the castle side of the hub in the front of where everyone is looking. That would be similar to having people watch fantasmic from where the walkway is now, and then having the first six feet or so right along the river used as a walkway. Then you can walk in front of everyone watching the show and yell at the people in the walkway to keep moving.

Aren't the fireworks in the sky? Why would you be looking at people moving between the sitting/standing area -- you should be looking up.

We were in that special seating area in front of the castle on Labor Day weekend. To be honest, I think you get a much better perspective standing. Some of the fireworks seemed awfully low and hard to see (the wishing star ones, especially). I think we will be viewing them from IASW or the train station on our next visit.

Osky
09-12-2005, 04:29 PM
Aren't the fireworks in the sky? Why would you be looking at people moving between the sitting/standing area -- you should be looking up.

We were in that special seating area in front of the castle on Labor Day weekend. To be honest, I think you get a much better perspective standing. Some of the fireworks seemed awfully low and hard to see (the wishing star ones, especially). I think we will be viewing them from IASW or the train station on our next visit.

But for someone who has seen the fireworks on several occasions from various points, but has never had the chance to appreciate the projections on the castle, that is what I was mainly interested in.

Gone2Disneyland
09-12-2005, 04:50 PM

We were in that special seating area in front of the castle on Labor Day weekend. To be honest, I think you get a much better perspective standing. Some of the fireworks seemed awfully low and hard to see (the wishing star ones, especially).
Why do I like sitting to see the show? Because that's how I've come to enjoy it, and I think it gives the show a more picnic feel, if that makes any sense. And if it does, then you'll understand why I think it's more relaxing that way.

Meantime, I'll be the first to admit that that "special seating area in front of the castle" as you put it has never been an "official" designation by the park. It's just become that understanding by default on account of Disneyland CMs allowing that situation to progress over the course of the summer (and folks like me expecting that to be the status quo).

When all it said and done tho', frankly, the sitting vs. standing debate is all just a matter of personal preference. I don't think folks will agree here that one is better than the other. But I agree with grundler that it doesn't make a lot of sense to have that walkway there where it was; I noticed it because I was looking at the castle's projections and, "Hey!" there's people's heads walking across there with flashlights rocking back and forth. So yes, fireworks in sky, but projections on ground-level castle. (Would a better pathway be across the hub by the statue, or at the south edge of the hub closer to Coke Corner?)

And btw, DaddyB, yes, that Build-a-Bear box was with our group.

spacemountain85
09-12-2005, 05:42 PM
If this happened to me after I spent 4 hours waiting to watch the fireworks, somebody would probably have to hold my feet down to keep me from tripping him when he went by. :mad:

Gregmh48
09-12-2005, 05:52 PM
A walkway has een opened in front of the castle because a new guest control plan has been initiated. Instead of using the hub as a viewing area with three straight crossovers, a circle has been left open around the entire hub with guests directed in one direction around the circle. They are expected to turn right out of the circle when they reach their destination. It has been causing havoc recently with some guests missing the place where they want to go and then needing to walk all the way around so that they don't ruin our one-way traffic.

Ace
09-12-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't understand why you'd want to stand up when sitting gives the same view.

SoCalDude
09-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Sometimes I really question the logic Disneyland has - this would be one of those times.

Making everybody stand is not good for the kids who will prob end up on the parents shoulders. Plus guests in wheelchairs, plus shorter guests.....

I really wonder who had the MAJOR brain fart while thinking this idea up....

:thumbswaydown:

coronado_g
09-12-2005, 08:59 PM
Making everybody stand is not good for the kids who will prob end up on the parents shoulders. Plus guests in wheelchairs, plus shorter guests.....

This is true. There should be some consderation for guests in wheelchairs and I would hope that others would be politely aware of wheelchairs around them.