PDA

View Full Version : DLR December 18-19

jmdisque
09-10-2005, 04:52 AM
Hello all,

I have learned and continue to learn so much from reading your posts. We will be at DLR on December 18-19 or December 19-20. We will be splitting our time between DLR and DCA.

I am wanting to make sure I catch all the parades, fireworks, etc. Can you help me with a "schedule" so we can get it all in? I know 2 days isn't much but I don't know if we can swing 3 days or not. We're driving from Kansas and coming to California specifically for DLR, not all the other So Cal stuff (except maybe the ocean, any ideas where to go for that?). My girls are 7 and 12 and there will be 4 adults traveling, too.

We are staying at the Comfort Inn Maingate (at least that's where the reservations are at this point). Is that walking distance, catch a shuttle or just park in the parking lot?

Also, how will the crowds be? I'm hoping to catch the tail end of the "quiet" season before the madness just before and after Christmas.

Thanks in advance for your ideas. I really appreciate your help in planning our trip.

Jacquie

Malcon10t
09-10-2005, 07:14 AM
Hello all,

I have learned and continue to learn so much from reading your posts. We will be at DLR on December 18-19 or December 19-20. We will be splitting our time between DLR and DCA.

I am wanting to make sure I catch all the parades, fireworks, etc. Can you help me with a "schedule" so we can get it all in? I know 2 days isn't much but I don't know if we can swing 3 days or not. We're driving from Kansas and coming to California specifically for DLR, not all the other So Cal stuff (except maybe the ocean, any ideas where to go for that?). My girls are 7 and 12 and there will be 4 adults traveling, too.

We are staying at the Comfort Inn Maingate (at least that's where the reservations are at this point). Is that walking distance, catch a shuttle or just park in the parking lot?

Also, how will the crowds be? I'm hoping to catch the tail end of the "quiet" season before the madness just before and after Christmas.

Thanks in advance for your ideas. I really appreciate your help in planning our trip.

JacquieA lot of schools in CA will be out then, so it won't be empty. The park hours extend, so that tells you they expect to be busy. Expect it to be the beginning of the madness. It is definatly NOT walking distance. There are ART shuttles you can catch ($3 a day for people over 10), also see if the hotel has a shuttle.

As for seeing all the parades and fireworks in 2 days, you will really need to coordinate your timing.

AVP
09-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Entertainment hours aren't posted right now, but the park hours for those three days are 8:00 - midnight for Disneyland and 10:00 - 9:00 for DCA, so you're right in the middle of peak holiday season. In other words, it doesn't get much busier than this.

If your schedule allows, I would do Disneyland and DCA on Monday / Tuesday, and skip the Sunday. (Take that day to go to the beach).

Disney's Electrical Parade, Block Party Blast, Aladdin, Parade of Dreams, Christmas Fantasy Parade, Fantasmic! and fireworks will all be running during your stay. You'd pretty much need to stay in one park each day to catch all of these.

I'd suggest splitting Monday between Disneyland and DCA - perhaps spend the morning and early evening in DCA, so you can catch Aladdin, watch Block Party Blast, and stay for Disney's Electrical Parade. After DCA closes, head back to Disneyland and take advantage of the shorter lines while everyone else is waiting for the fireworks.

You'll need one whole day for Disneyland - you can catch the Parade of Dreams in the afternoon (probably around 3), the Christmas Fantasy Parade around 7:30-ish, Fireworks at 9:25-ish and then the second Fantasmic! at 10:30-ish or even the 3rd show at 11:45-ish if they are running three. (Again, the showtimes have not been posted, so I'm just guessing at times) You'll be spending a LOT of time waiting for shows to start, so perhaps an adult can take the kids on rides while the others stand in line or save spots along parade routes.

Good luck! It sounds like you're planning a comando-style vacation, which is exhausting. Make sure to schedule naps or breaks, because nobody does well trying to spend 16 hours at a theme park two days in a row.

AVP

Donald Duck Fan68
09-10-2005, 01:07 PM
I would really try and swing 3 days in the parks if you could. Weather that time of year isn't ideal for a beach visit anyway. I planned a 7 day visit starting on the 22nd because I wanted to see all the 50th events too, but I wanted to be able to do so at a relaxed pace and still ride as many rides as my family wants to.

If you're only going to be able to swing 2 days in the parks, then get to them when they open the gates, to try and beat some of the rush at the rides. You should be able to see and do everything you want to in DCA, and then leave after the Electric Parade and get in some rides at DL. However, you may just want to call it a night so that you can get there early in the am the next day at DL. In Disneyland, get a fast pass for your favorite ride first thing in the am and then head to which ever land your daughters want to ride the most rides in. Spend the early morning riding the rides and do an early lunch/late breakfast once it starts to get a little crowded. After that, stake out a place for the 1st parade (Parade of Dreams). One adult can stay at the spot and the other can take the girls on a few more rides (but don't try to squeeze too many in and miss the parade.) Keep doing this for the remaining events (Holiday Parade, Fireworks, Fantasmic.) Also, take advantage of Fastpass throughout the day. It's best to have one adult keep all the entry tickets (since that is what you use to put into the FP machines) and be the "fastpass runner".

Good luck and expect it to be crowded.

disneyperson
09-10-2005, 01:10 PM
We'll probably be there then too! I think you can count on crowds. Most schools start winter break that week and the folk who don't want to their kids to miss school or spend Christmas day in the parks will be there. Just use your fastpasses wisely. it will be lots of fun and oh so pretty!