PDA

View Full Version : Where in Newport Beach?

kimc0486
09-09-2005, 09:06 PM
I'm going to be in so. ca. next week and in addition to 4 days in DL I will have one day at Huntington Beach and one day at Newport Beach. I'm not familiar at all with NB. What is "the" beach to go to? I know there is the area near the pier, Balboa Beach, Balboa Pier. How far is Fashion Island from these places? What about Balboa from the Newport Pier area? My main question is where should I go and how far are all these places from each other? Also, I'm taking a public bus so if you have any sort of area like between which cross streets that would be great. Thanks!!!

adriennek
09-09-2005, 10:25 PM
I know there is the area near the pier, Balboa Beach, Balboa Pier. How far is Fashion Island from these places? What about Balboa from the Newport Pier area? My main question is where should I go and how far are all these places from each other? Also, I'm taking a public bus so if you have any sort of area like between which cross streets that would be great. Thanks!!!

Fashion Island is very close to Balboa Island. But it's up quite a hill so I'm not sure how much you would consider it 'walking distance' ;)

Balboa Island is across the bay(?) from the Newport Pier. If you're on foot, you can just walk onto the ferry to get across the bay. I can't imagine bus service on the island (it's pretty crowded) but there might be some just off the Island. Jamboree and Pacific Coast Highway.

I would imagine if you were to take a bus from Fashion Island to the Pier, you'd have to go all the way down PCH to get to that road to the Peninsula (I know these streets by sight, not name, sorry!) If you try "Jamboree and Pacific Coast Highway" in Mapquest, you'll get a pretty good idea of the area I'm talking about. Fashion Island is just above Newport Beach Country Club and the Island is just below it.

I don't know where to tell you to go, LOL. I think the beaches were people lay out are on the opposite side of the peninsula from the Pier, though.

I'm afraid my answer would make more sense to someone familiar to the area than not. :( Sorry!

Adrienne

newportbeachbumz
09-09-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm a local... As far as the beach goes I would go to the beach to the left of the Newport Pier 20th or 19th street. Our beach house is on 20th and everyone says it's the greatest spot. One reason is that as you go down towards the Balboa Pier you get farther away from the water. At 20th you're pretty close to the water and to the boardwalk and walking distance to shops and restaurants. It's about 1 1/2 miles to the Balboa Pier from the Newport Pier and you could walk across Balboa Blvd. to Fun Zone Hop on to Ferry cross over to Island and get over to PCH (It's nice if you like walking). That would put you at about Jamboree and PCH. Fashion Island is off of Newport Center Dr. (I would probably take a bus there).

pisces
09-10-2005, 08:31 AM
You really need a car.

But, then again, I'm so lazy, that I usually have my car ferried over, to take onto Balboa Island.

If you seriously can't get a car, then I would say the best beach for you is Corona Del Mar. It's closer to PCH. It's on the other side of the Bay. You can pretty much walk from PCH to Corona Del Mar. I've seen lots of pedestrians hike from PCH down to Corona.

But, anything to do with Fashion Island.......it gets hilly around there, and far. Frankly, I've never seen any buses around that area on those streets---San Joaquin, San Miguel etc. And, I've never seen any pedestrians either, around that Fashion Island area.

Your best bet for walking is the Corona Del Mar beach area.

But, for the rest of it, Lido, the Pier, even Huntington......you'll definitely need a car!

FatAl
09-10-2005, 09:27 AM
I'm going to be in so. ca. next week and in addition to 4 days in DL I will have one day at Huntington Beach and one day at Newport Beach. I'm not familiar at all with NB. ....

I am no expert with Southern California. I did spent a night at HB (do you want to speak like a local?) last Saturday and watched sunset at Newport Beach. HB and Newport Beach were very close to each other. However, a car is a MUST to travel in the areas.

For your information, HB charges $10 parking during the day. It has a beautiful municipal pier where you can look at the oil rigs in Long Beach. The archiecture of the buildings are beautiful. It is filled with younger crowd at night. Don't be fool by the 10 most safe city in U.C. slogan. Use your smart traveller sense to shop and to park. For example, don't park three blocks away from the activities at night. The bathroom facility at the beach is that all toilets are without seats.

If you were coming down from the Beach Blvd (Knott's Berry Farm), left turn to the Pacific Highway, in a short distance, you will see two tall chimneys at your left. Turn right anywhere at the signal light after you see the homes along the beach at your right. Park your car on the street and a few steps will allow you to enjoy the Newport Beach. Enjoy the hot sun or sunset and all the beautiful homes that were built on the sand. It's something that you probably have not seen before.

newportbeachbumz
09-10-2005, 10:41 AM
This might help with the bus info if you are not able to get a car. :)

http://www.octa.net/bus.asp