PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion: NBC Overlay vs. Reg Appearance

Pages : [1] 2

Butterfly Skyy
09-09-2005, 06:29 AM
I was wondering what your guys' opinions are regarding the NBC holiday overlay versus the way it normally looks. Which way do you like it better? I've never actually seen the NBC overlay myself but I will be going next Oct so I know it'll be up. I'm not sure what to think just yet, but I know my DD is really disappointed (she was looking forward to going on the ride as it normally is). And what is the storyline for it anyways? Does the overlay follow along with the movie or is each room just decorated in that style?

09-09-2005, 06:33 AM
We adored the overlay last year! It must be seen to be believed, it's that intricate and special.

DisneyDustin22
09-09-2005, 06:47 AM
You really cannot compare the two. Both are unique in their own way. HM is one of my favorite rides and each year when HMH comes along, i enjoy it thoroughly. Maybe because NBC is one of my favorite movies? I dunno. I think the whole experience you get out of HMH is much more than HM. I split them equally down the middle in regards to which one I would rather have. For those of you who really enjoy HM, there are still enough references in HMH to where you don't feel like you're losing that much.

stan4d_steph
09-09-2005, 07:04 AM
MousePlanet has covered the overlay through the years. Here's a photo tour by Frank Anzalone (Warning: contains spoilers). (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm041020fa.htm)

Here's another link to a series of articles covering the overlay (http://www.mouseplanet.com/images/mansion/index.htm). :)

GrimmGreen
09-09-2005, 07:16 AM
ive never seen the overlay either.... as i allways go in January... i'm trying to get there in time to see it this year... because i'm a big NBC fan , but .. money... :(

dsnyredhead
09-09-2005, 08:13 AM
I prefer the overlay, but I wouldn't want it to be NBC all year because it would make it less special.

mariogarza
09-09-2005, 08:59 AM
MousePlanet has covered the overlay through the years. Here's a photo tour by Frank Anzalone (Warning: contains spoilers). (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm041020fa.htm)

Here's another link to a series of articles covering the overlay (http://www.mouseplanet.com/images/mansion/index.htm). :)

I've already read the article...but next Dec will be my first time at the HMH, all I've seen is the pics and the music from the 6CD set...and I really like the music, and being a fan of NBC, I'm really really exited about it......
I've read that it does changes year after year, but how much??? Does the music has soundtrack had change during the years? does it includes new relevant impovements? And have been good those changes? I like it he way I hear it on the CDs of the premier edition of 2001...still as good?

CrazyTrain
09-09-2005, 10:30 AM
NBC!
It's the only ride in DL that I have wanted to go back on immediiately after riding it. I've only been on it once, though. :(

stan4d_steph
09-09-2005, 11:29 AM
The music has changed some from what is presented on the 6-CD set. You can get the newer version on a CD at DL.

The decor is essentially the same, but has changed a bit from year to year. If you like what you see in the photos, you will enjoy the ride.

Clotho
09-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I definitely enjoy each for their own reasons. I get bummed, though, when I only get to see the NBC when I go each year, as it seems it has always switched over by the time I get to see it. A few times I have been in Jan and got to see it back in the classic style, and that tends to be the treat for me!

ghoofie
09-09-2005, 02:56 PM
You really cannot compare the two. Both are unique in their own way.

Exactly. I love the overlay. I love 'regular' HSM..they are two different rides more/less. I look forward to each of them. I'm said right now though..I'll be there next week and it's closed for the overlay install. :(

DianeM
09-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Tell your daughter that she will still see a lot of the old haunted mansion, and probably have a lot of fun noting what things are different. We make a game of it - spotting new things. It's really not totally different. They can't change everything in just a few weeks. I hadn't even seen Nightmare Before Christmas before I rode the overlay the first time, and I still liked it. It even inspired us to buy and watch the movie. I'm kind of sorry that we won't be able to see either version this visit - we're going to be visiting next week, and the attraction will be closed for refurbishment.

I was wondering what your guys' opinions are regarding the NBC holiday overlay versus the way it normally looks. Which way do you like it better? I've never actually seen the NBC overlay myself but I will be going next Oct so I know it'll be up. I'm not sure what to think just yet, but I know my DD is really disappointed (she was looking forward to going on the ride as it normally is). And what is the storyline for it anyways? Does the overlay follow along with the movie or is each room just decorated in that style?

Doug
09-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Well, looks like I'll be able to go Sunday.... so I'll see "classic" HM once more, then wait for HMH .... I usually go to DLR often, but have not been since 7/30/05! GASP! I know...

Clotho
09-09-2005, 04:33 PM
I will be there the day it is due to open with the overlay. Fresh and new!

MrsG
09-09-2005, 05:04 PM
The NBC is cute (although I find the music a bit annoying after a while) and I look forward to seeing it, but I do prefer the original and am always glad when it is back.

animagusurreal
09-09-2005, 07:09 PM
I know what NBC stands for here, but every time I read that I picture Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien worked into the ride somehow - LOL :p

BTW, when does the NBC version start this year?

Maus
09-09-2005, 07:19 PM
I guess I must be the only person in the world who does not like the NBC overlay. :( I usually go see it once a year just to make sure I still don't like it. And I don't.

I Heart Disneyland!
09-09-2005, 08:01 PM
I really like it. Of course, I love the regular non-NBC Haunted Mansion, but, since I was there in May and saw that version, and I'm returning in October, and can see the NBC one...I am thrilled!

MrsG
09-09-2005, 08:10 PM
I guess I must be the only person in the world who does not like the NBC overlay. :( I usually go see it once a year just to make sure I still don't like it. And I don't.
MrG doesn't like it either. I can usually get him to go on it once, which is pretty much all I need to see of it anyway.

Micmousetoo
09-09-2005, 10:30 PM
I love the original Haunted Mansion appearance! Probably more so now then ever before. After our first trip to Disneyland during the Christmas season about 8 years ago we just never wanted to go back to Disneyland and miss all the Christmas decorations etc. We also love to go in December because it is dark so much sooner and you get to enjoy all the magical lights for so much longer! We did go to Disneyland this year in May for the 50th celebration(fabulous) and it was the first time we got to see the HM without the NBC overlay in 8 years and we LOVED it!! My nephew who is six made it on both trips this year, Dec 2004 and May 2005. He said the original appearance seems a little bit more scary while the NBC is more colorful and not as scary so for little children the NBC overlay could be a plus.

DaddyB
09-09-2005, 11:40 PM
I just hope when they do the overlay they get rid of that stoopid "hidden mickey" spider web. It just makes the Haunted Mansion look like a traveling carny show haunted house. It just makes the whole place look CHEAP!

coronado_g
09-09-2005, 11:54 PM
I love the NBC overlay of the HM. It's so wildly fantastic with colors and effects - plus the music is terrific. The whole thing is like a completely different ride than the original - which of course I love also. :D

Another Dimension
09-10-2005, 04:55 AM
I really like them both.

But during HMH season, the side queue gives a more awesome view with the candlelit mansion, jack 'o lantern hillside and sometimes (?!?) creeping fog.
The GGG Music Box version, playing in the HMH Fast Pass area adds a lot to the atmosphere and ambience as well.
I really like the Jan-Oct classic Mansion look, but Oct-Jan the Mansion just looks more like a festival or a ritual.
Less pristine-abandoned, more lived-in ghoulish party house. Which is a welcome change a few months a year across the river in NOS/!\

Butterfly Skyy
09-10-2005, 06:46 AM
Well now that I know it's not as cheesy as I thought it might be, I'm actually looking forward to it. And it might be a good thing too that it's a little less scary because our youngest will be about 10 mos old when we go...Kimmie is still disappointed tho..funny thing is she's never actually been to DL and seen HM in person so it baffles me to no end how she can miss something so much that she's never actually experienced. Then again, it is in her blood- her paternal greatgrandfather was a Disney animator and passed his love of it right on down the line, as did her maternal grandmother, who as a teen lived accross the street and when literally every single day...Any tips on how to get her excited to see the overlay? We have the movie and watch it several times every Oct and Dec...

mkraemer
09-10-2005, 08:14 AM

Nope; you're not the only one. Nobody in my family likes it, especially me. I *hate* it. We don't go to the mansion when that ridiculous overlay is on it.

But the good part of the overlay, to me, is that *so* many people seem to like it, they're in line at the mansion and not where I want to be! :D