PDA

View Full Version : More Food: Ham Sandwich

Clotho
09-08-2005, 08:16 AM
Okay, I have been perusing the menus for DLR, and so far have not come across it. I am gonna go back to looking, but thought I would post in the meantime in case anyone knew off the top of their heads.

When I went to WDW for the first time last year, I was so incredibly pleased to find so many options to eat other than burgers and chicken strips. In fact, I found one meal which I can't stop thinking about, had a few times when I was there, and now hope against hope that someplace in DLR has it.

I ate it at the Columbia Harbor House, and it was the Starboard Deck Sandwich. It was a twist on a ham sandwich which had muenster (I believe) and a light coleslaw piled on a nutty dark grain bread (it also comes with tomatoes which I don't eat). It was delicious, not too heavy like fried foods always are, and was completely satisfying. I couldn't finish it any time I ate it.

If it is served someplace in DLR, I would be in hog heaven! If not, where can someone write to make food requests? I would love to see this, and more unique meal options like this at DLR. I found that, unless I am mistaken and have been missing all the best meal joints, WDW has more options than DLR has with regard to anything other than pizza and burgers, and more interesting options. I mean, ham, muenster and coleslaw on grainy bread? That is not just a ham n' cheese on white bread like I expect from most joints catering to the kids. This had a distinctly "let's make some adults happy" unique pairing of flavors, and I loved it. ;)

Just looking at the Columbia harbor House menu, I see a hummus sandwich, vegetarian chili, sandwich I just described--all unique and far from "hot dog with a side of fries.

I see Carnation Cafe has some lighter options, including a half deli sandwich and salad combo I love to have when I plan on walking all day. I never ate there as it was often crowded when we wanted to eat, but think I will make a point of it this next trip for sure! Anyone else have any suggestions for two adults who love food, love to be in the magic and eat in the parks, and don't want to eat fried anything most days?

Thanks, fellow food lovers!

stan4d_steph
09-08-2005, 08:52 AM
I would suggest looking through the MousePlanet Restaurant Review Database (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi?product-category=Disneyland%20Resort%20%2F%20Restaurants). That will give you an idea of what eateries are more highly rated than others by our readers.

Bottom line: DL is not WDW. The foods are different. In general, you won't find the same stuff both places, except for maybe the outdoor vending items like churros, turkey legs, popcorn etc.

MrsG
09-08-2005, 08:58 AM
The food is SO much better at WDW - so depressing to us DLR regulars.

ima_mickeyfan
09-08-2005, 11:47 AM
here's a link of restaruants/menus and some prices;
http://www.dlresortinfo.com/DisneylandMenus/dlmenus.html

TowerofTerror
09-08-2005, 11:50 AM
wow nice link of the menus at the park

09-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Anyone else have any suggestions for two adults who love food, love to be in the magic and eat in the parks, and don't want to eat fried anything most days?

In New Orleans Square, the French Market has a nice French dip. It's big enough to share easily.

People love the chicken fusilli at Redd Rockett's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland. It's fusilli + chunks of chicken breast + Alfredo sauce. Not lowfat but if split with someone else (easily done) and paired with a green salad, not too heavy.

The Bengal Barbeque skewers in Adventureland are very popular.

I'm sure others will have more ideas!

dlandnut
09-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Remember when we used to be able to get tuna sandwiches (that were wonderful) with a bowl of clam chowder. Sigh, those were the days. Of course, my hubby thinks I'm wierd because I order a tuna sandwich when I go to Subway! All those choices, and tuna's the one, lol. I don't know of anyplace in the park that you can get a ham sandwich. But, as I've stated before (I seem to love to post to the food threads, lol), there are still plenty of good places to eat, fried or not. :)

Clotho
09-08-2005, 01:19 PM
OOh, that chicken fusilli sounds delicious. I will have to remember that one. I am a sucker for cream sauces, and if it isn't to terribly heavy, it may fit the bill one of those days.

And thanks, those who gave me links to menus. I have been perusing menus at allearsnet and haven't found the same creativity that WDW had at the Magic Kingdom. Disneyland really seems to cater more to the kids, with less "unique" food items like we found at Magic Kingdom. Though I am finding a few selctions I am pleased to discover for this upcoming trip, thanks to a very close perusal of menus, and all of your suggestions!

Though nothing, but NOTHING, beats a great dinner at Napa Rose. DLR has it all over most any other place I have ever vacationed when it comes to a foodie experience there! We went a few years ago for my hubby's 30th birthday, which also happens to fall on New Years Eve, and had a completely fabulous, memorably magical night there. So much so, we splurged and went back for dinner the very next night.

Ah, the days when we were more flush. We had stock money left over from the boom, and could splurge like that sometimes. Since then, we have only been back to Napa Rose twice, and will likely be unable to afford it this trip (when we do it, we do it up right, with a nice bottle of wine and full meal spread), but can't wait to get back.

But I digress!

I am getting hungry with all this amazing food talk!

dlandnut
09-08-2005, 01:31 PM
You know, after reading your threads about WDW, it made me curious as to what kind of food is available there. I have never been, but someday will do so. Somebody out there, can you tell me where to go (lol) to look at all the menus available for WDW? :)

Clotho
09-08-2005, 01:51 PM
allearsnet.com is the best resource I ahve found with the most uptodate info on the menus, lots of deets on the food including reviews of the restaurants, not to mention a wealth of info about all things WDW.

They are working on a DLR section now in hopes of making it as comprehensive. So far, they are doing pretty good.

Wendi
09-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Well, you can't get the ham sandwich that you want in DLR, but you can go to White Water Snacks and get some really great sandwiches there... I love their tuna sandwich. La Brea Bakery in DTD makes some yummy sammiches too!

Grandbreaker
09-09-2005, 10:26 AM
Well, you can't get the ham sandwich that you want in DLR, but you can go to White Water Snacks and get some really great sandwiches there... I love their tuna sandwich. La Brea Bakery in DTD makes some yummy sammiches too!

But who wants a $8.75 sandwhich ? WWS is much better than La Brea

CrazyTrain
09-09-2005, 10:28 AM
There's a turkey sandwhich at the Village Haus. My friend had it the other day and said it was all right. It was just like turkey on sub bread. But considering how horrible the food is in that place... I'd second the Whitewater Snacks recommendation!

hlbtimes2
09-09-2005, 10:32 AM
There's a turkey sandwhich at the Village Haus. My friend had it the other day and said it was all right. It was just like turkey on sub bread. But considering how horrible the food is in that place...

I refuse to eat there. Its the only place in the park I feel that way about. I've never had anything good there. For the same price there are many other good places.

rentayenta
09-09-2005, 10:51 AM
I refuse to eat there. Its the only place in the park I feel that way about. I've never had anything good there. For the same price there are many other good places.

I agree. I so dislike the Village Haus. We have only had one good experience there and it had nothing to do with the food.

One Feb. we were at DL and it was pouring rain. We popped in to dry off. Cinderella, Snow White, and Belle came in as well. My girls got to spend more time with the Princesses that day than all subsequent trips combined.

I am proud to admit that I like the food at Disneyland. :geek: Maybe the atmosphere makes eveything taste better.

CrazyTrain
09-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Well, the kids wanted pizza and the adults didn't, so that's where we went. Over $8 (with discount) for a dried out cheeseburger with a bun that tasted raw, DELICIOUS fries and a soda wasn't worth it. Next time, the kids don't get a say ;) The pizza was apparently hard and partially burned on the bottom as well.

Clotho
09-09-2005, 12:45 PM
That was the other thing about the WDW food experience: cost. That ham sandwich I told you about was around the $5.50 range. It was a good deal for a meal I couldn't finish.

La Brea charges that much for a sandwich? BETTER BE GOOD! LOL

Hungry again! You guys, thanks so much for the insights!

Maus
09-09-2005, 07:17 PM
There's a ham sandwich on the menu at the Blue Ribbon Bakery on Main Street. I think it comes on focaccia bread. I've never had it but it does look good--cheese, lettuce and tomato piled high.

Wendi
09-09-2005, 09:15 PM
That's something I've really noticed while looking over the WDW menus planning for my upcoming trip... WDW is waaaaayyyy cheaper!!!

potzbie
09-09-2005, 10:05 PM

What a coincidence.
I ate at Village Haus today.

I didn't like anything I saw on the menu.
But I was hungry and thirsty, and didn't want to walk another step.
So I ordered their CHEF SALAD.
It was nice enough.
I rarely order salads.
But no other item appealed to me.

I nearly ordered the TURKEY SANDWICH.
But I wanted no burger, and no sandwich, but something else, anything else, than the same old thing.

One disadvantage of many eating spots in DL is that the menu is limited to four kinds of entrees.
I look for an entree that is at least a little off the beaten track.
e.g., at Golden Horseshoe, the chili sourdough bowl is the best variation of their limited menu.

I don't remember HAM being on any menu anywhere in DL.
Bacon, yes, (see BENGAL BARBEQUE; see breakfast menu at RIVER BELLE TERRACE).
The old menu of the RANCHO DEL ZOCALO had a PORK item.
But HAM? -- Nothing comes to mind.--But see BLUE BAYOU for possibilities.

NYC
09-10-2005, 06:18 AM
Clotho, if you enjoyed the Napa Rose experience at DLR, you and your hubby will HAVE to try Victoria and Alberts at the Grand Floridian Hotel next time you visit WDW. It's fabulous!!!! Although I haven't been to the DLR, I have looked over the Napa Rose menu in preparation for an upcoming trip, and it seems like the menues are similar with multiple courses and wine pairings. Victoria and Albert's is a five star restaurant, as I assume Napa Rose is also.

hlbtimes2
09-10-2005, 06:57 AM
That's something I've really noticed while looking over the WDW menus planning for my upcoming trip... WDW is waaaaayyyy cheaper!!!

I'm not a bit surpised. The cost of living, and thus the cost of everything else, is cheaper in FL.

Clotho
09-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Yes, we tore our hair out trying to decide where our "big night" was going to be for my birthday trip to WDW last year. After much hmming ang hawing, we decided to do California Grill and watch the fireworks from the 15th floor. The view was everything we hoped, and the service was great, but the meal itself...it was only okay! Not the mind-blowing experience we had hoped. Next time, Victoria and Albert's for sure!

We placated ourselves a little by getting tea at the Grand Floridian, just to get to dress up a little and hang out at the hotel that afternoon. Such a lovely lovely lovely hotel. I can only imagine a meal at V&A would be incredibly special! Thanks for the endorsement. Now to come up with a good $3k to be able to fly out and spend another week at WDW...

har
har