PDA

View Full Version : brief trip report 2/16 - 2/21/02

tink360
02-26-2002, 12:19 AM
Finally made it back to my beloved disneyland last week, the last time I had been there was april 2001. Traveled with my 14 year old son, who suffered through his mother's presence and considerable (uncool) excitement at all things disney.
All in all I thought the park looked pretty good, but I was disappointed by the shorter hours and and massive lines (especially saturday the 16th). I was stunned to see hour long waits for pirates and haunted mansion at various times of the day, but when the lines got too long we just sat and enjoyed the scenery at the hub or coke corner - we live in seattle so it is a rare treat to enjoy the park.
We had a nice dinner at the carnation cafe, the service was good and so was the food. I had the penne pasta & my son ordered a ham sandwich & clam chowder, one of his favorite foods at disneyland.
It was pretty cold temperature wise most of our trip, but on wednesday & thursday (our last day in the park) it was warm & beautiful. The lines for attractions were considerably shorter midweek.
Highlights of our trip were Billy Hill & the Hillbillies (the teeth crack me up no matter how many times I see them), fantasia ice cream, the beautiful landscaping detail on storybook canal boat ride and casey jr. train, and the mime in new orleans square who is both charming & funny.
Only thing we really didn't enjoy was grizzly river run, we went over to DCA when we found our AP's now would cover both parks. California screaming was a lot of fun, but the grizzly river run was just nothing but getting wet. It was very warm the day we tried it - close to 90, but it was still not a lot of fun to get that soaked. I might as well have just jumped in the water. Also had to ride with very unpleasant catty blond who made a big point of donning her plastic suit moments before getting in the tire and then laughing hysterically at me when I got wet. Grrrrr. Maybe that's why it's called grizzly river run.
Anyway I was terribly sad the day we had to leave, and was planning my next trip back before I had even made it out of the park. Hopefully we will make it to a sunday meet this time, do people still meet at goofy statue on noon on sundays?

Rallymonkey23
02-26-2002, 07:37 PM
Glad to see you had a good time. If you think going on GRR in 90 degree weather is bad, try going on 5 times in a row in 60 degree weather. ( Never Again LOL) Anyways, people meet at the hub by White Rabbit. Which is funny. The day I went I thought the Hub was near the flags in the front of the park! LOL

tink360
02-26-2002, 09:33 PM
cool pinocchio. GRR 6times in cold weather??! you must be very tough, once was more than enough for me.

Uncle Dick
02-26-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by tink360
cool pinocchio. GRR 6times in cold weather??! you must be very tough, once was more than enough for me.

Different "runs" on Grizzly River can differ dramatically. I went on it twice in a row today and left dry enough to wipe off my glasses, but sometimes I'll leave with my completely wet. I think weight has a lot to do with it. I actually enjoy the ride for purposes other than just getting soaked. The spinning drop (when it works) is a great highlight.