PDA

View Full Version : PACKAGE EXPRESS... March 1st

wonderful
02-25-2002, 10:54 PM
AVP's article on Package Express mentioned that you would have to drop off packages at the Newsstand... this is true, but additionally, you may also "check" packages at the Emporium and Greetings, as far as I know... Hopefuly, when the big Pooh store opens in 2003, it will be enough of an encouragement to, once again, re vamp the system... but, for now, I would look for CMs to be more than accomadating in explaining the changes, and I would encourage testing the new system before jumping to conclusions... sometimes "doing" Package Express for a guest can take a LONG time, especially if they decide to tell you they want it AFTER you've rung them up (then every item has to be written down, bar code and all, manually), this new system will eliminate that at most shops and that IS a guest service.
I have mixed feelings... I definately understand the need to cut back, but I hope I never see a guest "paying" to have a package sent up front.

bluepearl
02-25-2002, 11:44 PM
I was just reading about that in the CM guide on Sunday. I think the new system makes it easy for someone like me, who's really new and still getting used to things, because by the time I remember to offer the service, I've already rung things up and finished the transaction.

I agree, I do not want to see this become a service provided that you pay a fee. As a Guest, what I like about this new system is that I can drop my stuff off, rather than having to worry about the 3-hour window of time (sometimes at night, I purchase things and ask the CM to Package Express it, only to realize that I will have to leave in an hour; I apologize to the CM I did that to sometime in December!).

I know that there are going to be a lot of people who will not like the re-vamped service. I'm a little concerned about the sort of madhouse it has the potential to be, with Guests trying to check in their stuff and what not. Will there be separate counters to check-in packages?

AVP
02-26-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by wonderful
AVP's article on Package Express mentioned that you would have to drop off packages at the Newsstand... this is true, but additionally, you may also "check" packages at the Emporium and Greetings, as far as I know

I've seen a list of 4 drop-off locations, but they weren't final. I didn't want to say "this is IT" and have it change Friday.

sometimes "doing" Package Express for a guest can take a LONG time, especially if they decide to tell you they want it AFTER you've rung them up (then every item has to be written down, bar code and all, manually), this new system will eliminate that at most shops and that IS a guest service.
I have mixed feelings... I definately understand the need to cut back, but I hope I never see a guest "paying" to have a package sent up front.

My biggest concern is for the shops in the outlying areas of the parks. Taking something from, say, the China Closet to the Emporium isn't going to be too bad, but can you see hauling something from Fantasyland or Toon Town? For me personally, I know I won't be shopping "the back 40" unless I absolutely have to.

I feel that this will have the potential of shifting people's purchasing patterns toward the front of the park, where it's not so far to the check in, and toward to the evening as they are trying to leave.

I realize that Package Express is a hassle for CMs if it's not done before the purchase is rung up, but that's not enough of a reasopn, IMHO, to eliminate it outright. One question that I do still have - when you drop off your package at the counter, will you be given a simple claim check, or are you going to have to wait while your entire purchase is written out on a receipt?

If it's a simple numbered claim check, then why couldn't they just do *that* at the registers, and eliminate the whole item-by-item listing? And if they are going to have to write out the entire reciept, how is that going to save any time?

In any case, I'll be very interested to see what CMs have to say in a few weeks.

AVP

MonorailMan
02-26-2002, 01:14 PM
Well this will change how I buy stuff when I get my AP:

Example Of How I was going to buy stuff W/ old PE:
Ok, Lets say I get off of Star Tours, exit into the Gift Shop, and finally see that Monorail set I want, then I would buy it and PE it, then I'd go do something else, pick it up later.

The way I'll have to do the same thing after the new PE:
Ok, I get off Star Tours, see the Monorail Set, then I have three choices:
1. Buy It And Run It To The Front Window
2. Buy It And Run It To The Car.
3. Note the location, and maybe buy It later.
See I could do 1, or 2, but then I have to walk all the way to the car or the window then walk back. Or if I choose 3, what if later I decide I don't want it or see something else, Disney won't get my money If I change my mind.

So without the old PE, I may not spend as much money. :)

DisneyDody
02-26-2002, 01:21 PM
I think this all comes back to the decline in good guest service so that they can pinch their pennies... By eliminating Package Express they can schedule less people working the shops therefore saving the park even more money. I hate to see how Disney has changed from Walt's concept about making the guests happy first and foremost. Eisner and Pressler are greedy B*st*rds who just care about how much money they can pocket in bonuses from saving money on the little things that do mean a lot to the consumer. It's disgusting. :mad:

marron-cream
02-26-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by AVP

I realize that Package Express is a hassle for CMs if it's not done before the purchase is rung up, but that's not enough of a reasopn, IMHO, to eliminate it outright.

I was pretty surprised when I heard that it was going to be eliminated. The reasons ranged from CM theft (?!) to the supposed fact that only 2% of park guests utilized it (sounds more plausible, but still not a reason to get rid of it).

As for writing out the SKUs one by one, that's not such a big deal, IMO. I've had to hand write many package express forms, either because I forgot to offer it before I finished ringing, or because the guest changed their mind after I finished ringing everything. It's part of the job and you deal with it.

I really hope they reconsider this. Like AVP says, this will hurt the stores that aren't on Main Street. And since I don't work Main Street, it will eventually trickle down to workers like me! :eek:

MammaSilva
02-26-2002, 03:22 PM
coming from someone who not only uses/used PE every time I shop at the resort I am really going to miss the service and plan to write a note to Disney about it, not that it will make a difference I'm sure. But with one child in a wheelchair and my being on an evc 90 percent of the time, packages are hard to deal with, much safer/easier/convienant to have them sent up to the front.. now of course I could run the stuff up there as we shop but what a pain that is going to be ... I really really am sad that this service is going away :( I even had it figured out to send everything to the DCA pickup window because there was NEVER a line there at the end of the evenings ....*huge sigh* :crying:

wonderful
02-26-2002, 05:10 PM
Just two things...
When i mentioned "having to write out the sku-s" I mentioned it because, in terms of the "other" guests that have to wait, it is a bit of a "dis"service... but, heck, I would write them out anytime.. yes, it IS part of my job (well, not anymore), and I didn't intend for anyone to think I didn't like doing my job... it just irks me when my "super guest service" results in "less than" for other guests, comprenez-vous?
And I totally agree in there being less focus on guest service in terms of services (and CMs to provide those services) in recent years... I'm not sure that the axe falling on CM hours and guest services is wiser than, say, dropping millions into a defunct show or purchasing double decker vehicles that collect dust... but THAT is my most humble opinion :)

mad4mky
02-26-2002, 06:16 PM
Well, I have to say I am extremely disappointed. I think I will do what mammasilva did and write to them. They might not care...but at least they will get my opinion.

We live for Package Express....and this will certainly curtail a lot of my DLR shopping. They don't realize just how much I SPEND there! Even my hubby said...well, that will save us money is souvenirs!! He knows I don't want to lug the stuff around. Years ago I used a stroller when the kids were little, and it wasn't a big deal taking things with me around the park. Or, we used lockers. But, we got very spoiled with PE, and its hard to go back...I don't even know if they still have the lockers inside DL anymore. I hope so...if not...well, I'll save TONS of $$$$!!!:(

Good for me...BAD for DLR!!:mad:

MammaSilva
02-26-2002, 07:15 PM
mad4mky, there are two locker locations inside Disneyland, one on main street where for the most part the lockers are gone within an hour of park opening and even if they werent they barely hold a family of 5's jackets for the day, the other set is near/next to the Fantasyland theater and there are only a few of those...as for DCA I know there are lockers right at the rapid ride for stuff while you are on the ride and there are some outside both parks, I "think" there are a few inside DCA but we've never used them so I wouldn't swear to it. I think they are going to see a serious drop in sales.. in more than one way, those of us who use PE aren't going to be shopping quite as much and those people who shop but have to lug stuff around are going to be leaving the parks with less or making a couple trips out of the parks to put things in their rooms/cars....and if you're already out of the park you'll probably grab a snack/meal out where it is a bit cheaper...resulting in lost revenues in foods too....I hope they see the fall out QUICK and reinstate the program

marron-cream
02-27-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by wonderful
Just two things...
When i mentioned "having to write out the sku-s" I mentioned it because, in terms of the "other" guests that have to wait, it is a bit of a "dis"service... but, heck, I would write them out anytime.. yes, it IS part of my job (well, not anymore), and I didn't intend for anyone to think I didn't like doing my job...

Wonderful, I hope you didn't think I was referring to you! I never knew you used to work in stores (did you?), so you never really crossed my mind :D

There are some CMs out there who will bypass offering Package Express after a transaction because they're too lazy to write out the slip. And there are some who will hand write everything, but heave great big sighs and generally look put-out while doing it. It's to those CMs I say, It's your job, do it, and deal with it!

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Castmbrdlx
02-27-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by marron-cream

There are some CMs out there who will bypass offering Package Express after a transaction because they're too lazy to write out the slip. And there are some who will hand write everything, but heave great big sighs and generally look put-out while doing it. It's to those CMs I say, It's your job, do it, and deal with it!

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

I don't think castmembers are lazy or even feel put out by writing up a package slip. It is only when a guest buy's a .25 cent lollipop and decides after the transaction is done that they would like to send their package to the gate that I get anoyed. Or on a busy day when the lines wrap around the registers and your trying to get to as many guests as fast as possible and at the same time be accurate in counting change and ringing up merchandise, that writing up a package slip can be difficult. Sure there are some who forget to offer the service as they should but at the same time there are guests that know about the service and purposly wait till the transaction is done even though there's a line of people behind them. Also it's the handwritten packages that get lost the most. Usually when a slip is written up the castmember is in a hurry and forgets important information or writes so fast the the slip is unreadable. I agree that this is a great service and I hate to see it go away. It not only hurts the guests but also the castmembers who are already struggling for hours and will have less to choose from now.

Ace
02-27-2002, 09:04 PM
I would have died without it! I got a model of the hearse, a CD, a matterhorn poster, and a mug.

marron-cream
02-28-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Castmbrdlx

I don't think castmembers are lazy or even feel put out by writing up a package slip. It is only when a guest buy's a .25 cent lollipop and decides after the transaction is done that they would like to send their package to the gate that I get anoyed. Or on a busy day when the lines wrap around the registers and your trying to get to as many guests as fast as possible and at the same time be accurate in counting change and ringing up merchandise, that writing up a package slip can be difficult.

I didn't say all cast members were lazy or felt put out. There are some who act that way. And yeah, it's a pain to have to write a slip out, especially when you have five hundred impatient people staring at the watches and glaring at you. But again, it's a part of the job. As for handwritten packages getting lost, etc, that's not the fault of PE or anything. It's not like the slip is that hard to fill out.

And before you think I don't know what you're talking about with long lines, cranky/obstinate guests, counting out the correct change, and trying to follow the five steps of guest service, I work in stores too. I work in some of the most crankiness-inducing shops in the park. I know.

wonderful
02-28-2002, 02:59 PM
first, Marron-Cream, thanks!

And, just an update:
Only TWO locations will be available: The Newstand and Greetings. The current Package Express location should become something like a sundry shop (yes, one that no one will be able to find)... IMO it should become a centralized Lost and Found so, if you lose anything ANYWHERE in DCA, DL or DTD, you only have to go to one place... but I don't ,make those sort of decisions :)