PDA

View Full Version : Asking about Club 33... somewhere else?

Pages : [1] 2

Clotho
09-07-2005, 10:21 AM
Okay, so I started a thread yesterday about my desire to dine at Club 33, and the relevant portions of my post were removed and then the entire thread was locked, so I was unable to just tack this onto it.

I know there are no "solicitations" for comp tickets allowed on here, so I was wondering if anyone can direct me to where or how someone does get to express this interest? I do NOT wish to break any rules here or upset mods (thank you for letting me know it was inappropriate to "solicit" that here), and so I want to know where I can? Is there another place on this board, or another board with a "Want Ads" section?

I swear this is not a roundabout way of trying to reopen a locked thread, mods, but I don't know how to ask this without at least mentioning what it is I am asking about! If this, too, is inappropriate in your eyes, I will understand your removing it. But I just want to know where I can go to get my question answered without offending anyone or breaking any rules.

Thanks

hlbtimes2
09-07-2005, 10:41 AM
There isnt really a place here on this board where it is acceptable to ask for such a thing. You might try doing an internet search and see what you can come up with. Most people who have memberships are not going to give a stranger access to the club. People pay a lot of money (as you know) to have membership. If they have a guest that doesnt show, makes a scene, etc, it looks bad for the member. Letting someone they dont know use their name and membership is really opening themselves up for trouble.

I think there are only a couple members of this board that either have membership or access to a reservation.

Good luck in your search.

DisneyDustin22
09-07-2005, 10:46 AM
If I am understanding your question correctly and I think I am, there is a reason why Club 33 doesn't allow just anyone in. Now please understand I am in no way labeling you or your party. I am just stating that, they have that high membership fee for a reason, and that is they want to accomodate guests who want that luxury, not just to say they went inside Club 33. Granted, I would love to experience it one day, I would also love to join the country club down the street from me, but I can't afford either and I know that. So I make best with what I can enjoy. But if you do manage to find a way to get in, all the more to you. But knowing what I know about Club 33, I find it highly unlikely that you will be able to. Good luck!

stan4d_steph
09-07-2005, 11:02 AM
It would have been more appropriate to PM or email a mod than to start a thread. We should be able to answer your questions.

tod
09-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Ask around among your friends and acquaintances. You never know who's a member.

Good luck.

--t

DwoernAdale
09-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Asking friends and family actualy might work. We went to the resort for a week in August, then went to stay at my grandmothers house in Murrieta for a few days. My uncle and his family came down to visit us and have dinner one of those days. At the end of the evening my uncle nonchalantly tells us to get in touch with him before our next trip as he has access through his position at a well known socal company to 33 and would have no trouble, given enough lead time, getting us in! It was all I could do to not jump up and down and make a fool of myself right then and there!

So it looks as if our summer 2006 trip will include an incredible opportunity to finaly dine at 33! I get goosebumps just thinking about it hehe.

You never know, there may just be a member you are unaware of lurking in your family tree or circle of friends as tod said.

Clotho
09-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Wow, how exciting DwoernAdale.

As for appropriateness of those who may gain access being in any proportion to the money they have access to, that is just ludicrous. I understand the exclusivity of it, but to imply that if you don't have the money to buy into the membership, that you may not be "their kind of clients" is so silly. But a typically American attitude, at the same time. That's why Europeans dub so many of us Americans with riches Nouveau Riche, you realize. Because the idea that money and priviledge are tied so closely in our culture, that if somebody makes enough money, they are assumed to be the "right people" when so often, they can be quite far apart...

I know you don't know me, so I promise I am not taking personal offense. And I totally understand that folks who have membership may not want to give any comps away to strangers, so that any bad behavior that might reflect on them can be avoided. I certainly wouldn't have expected anyone to do such a huge favor without getting to know me first--I would want to in their shoes!

I guess ultimately, I just wonder how people who are not members managed to get an invite. I love the story of the unexpected connections to members. But I assure you, as far as I know, I know no one who even knows anyone. All my friends know my love of all things Disney, and I get nothing but teasing about it from anyone. So even if they had other acquaintances who were members or friends of members, I doubt it would ever come up in conversation for them to know.

As for asking a Mod, I tried to repsond to the original post, where you posted stan4d_steph, and when it was locked, I totally didn't even think to write you personally on it. Sorry if I made another misstep here! Hopefully this has been an interesting thread for some anyway. The discussion of the "SECRET PLACE" for those of us on the outside is kinda tittilating. :)

Malcon10t
09-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Wow, how exciting DwoernAdale.

As for appropriateness of those who may gain access being in any proportion to the money they have access to, that is just ludicrous. I understand the exclusivity of it, but to imply that if you don't have the money to buy into the membership, that you may not be "their kind of clients" is so silly. But a typically American attitude, at the same time. That's why Europeans dub so many of us Americans with riches Nouveau Riche, you realize. Because the idea that money and priviledge are tied so closely in our culture, that if somebody makes enough money, they are assumed to be the "right people" when so often, they can be quite far apart...

I know you don't know me, so I promise I am not taking personal offense. And I totally understand that folks who have membership may not want to give any comps away to strangers, so that any bad behavior that might reflect on them can be avoided. I certainly wouldn't have expected anyone to do such a huge favor without getting to know me first--I would want to in their shoes!

I guess ultimately, I just wonder how people who are not members managed to get an invite. I love the story of the unexpected connections to members. But I assure you, as far as I know, I know no one who even knows anyone. All my friends know my love of all things Disney, and I get nothing but teasing about it from anyone. So even if they had other acquaintances who were members or friends of members, I doubt it would ever come up in conversation for them to know.

As for asking a Mod, I tried to repsond to the original post, where you posted stan4d_steph, and when it was locked, I totally didn't even think to write you personally on it. Sorry if I made another misstep here! Hopefully this has been an interesting thread for some anyway. The discussion of the "SECRET PLACE" for those of us on the outside is kinda tittilating. :)If you don't know anyone, you can always keep an eye on eBay. On occasion, someone puts a reservation up for donations (last one I saw went for $3K, not including the price of dinner...)

hbquikcomjamesl
09-07-2005, 10:01 PM
I understand the exclusivity of it, but to imply that if you don't have the money to buy into the membership, that you may not be "their kind of clients" is so silly. But a typically American attitude, at the same time. That's why Europeans dub so many of us Americans with riches Nouveau Riche, you realize. Because the idea that money and priviledge are tied so closely in our culture, that if somebody makes enough money, they are assumed to be the "right people" when so often, they can be quite far apart...

The technical term is "snob appeal." Personally, I'm reminded of something Groucho once said, rebuffing an invitation from a club that had once rebuffed his application: "I would not want to be a part of any club that would have me as a member."

evrythngwmn
09-08-2005, 02:40 AM
Business affiliations may be another avenue. My sister's boss got to dine there this way. The bank that their company uses is a member. For reasons I don't remember now the bank made an offer to allow the company execs to dine at Club 33.

09-08-2005, 04:40 AM

But you're buying into the idea that Club 33 is highly desirable. Part of what makes it so desirable is that most of us can't have it. And most of us can't have it because of the membership restriction. Without that restriction, the restaurant would lose all of its mystery and part of its allure.

PsychDoc
09-08-2005, 06:58 AM
Ask around among your friends and acquaintances. You never know who's a member.

Good luck.

--t
Start with people who are somewhat higher up in middle management in larger corps -- GE Capital, FedEx, etc. Often they have corp. memeberships. Good luck. I agree; you'd be surprised who may have a "hook up."

MermaidHair
09-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Clotho

Don't underestimate your circle of friends and their access to Club 33. Just because they know you are "into" Disneyland does not mean that they know about the existence of Club 33, let alone if their companiesor relatives have access to a membership.

Good Luck!

dlandnut
09-08-2005, 07:51 AM
I was able to go in June. I'm fully aware that it was a once in a lifetime opportunity. My brother was part of our group and he worked for a major corporation. I asked him if there was anyway (through his company ties) to get us into Club 33. He asked around, did a little investigating, and for some lucky reason, we were granted four tickets to lunch. My advice is to think about WHO you know, what connections you have, and it just might become a possibility. Do you know someone, or are relatives with someone, who is in a position where their employment might have membership, thus your "foot in the door"? Brainstorm! Think, think!!! Good luck! :)

Tinker Bell
09-08-2005, 08:19 AM
I have tried for years and found Members but they told me no.So look out for those kind of Members.I just wanted to do it once. I thought I ask Nicely. One of those Friend of a Friend who had it.I also found a friend who's uncle was part.But told no again. I have settled with Pic :(. I hope to take the Walk in Walt footsteps tour soon just so I could step in the door.

Clotho
09-08-2005, 08:50 AM
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the encouragement. ;) I will poke my ears around and see. Who knows? I have tons of friends who work for Microsoft. I wonder...

Anywho, you guys are super sweet. I fell in love with this board when I joined around my trip to WDW last year, and am finding the DLR crew to be just as wonderful!

cstephens
09-08-2005, 11:13 AM
I have tried for years and found Members but they told me no.So look out for those kind of Members.I just wanted to do it once. I thought I ask Nicely. One of those Friend of a Friend who had it.I also found a friend who's uncle was part.But told no again.

I can't fault someone for saying no to a "friend of a friend" or even an acquaintance. There are rules about Club 33, and if something happens, it's the member who is responsible for whatever happens. If I had some kind of access to something where my membership could be put in jeopardy, I would certainly be very careful about whom I extended membership privileges to.

Opus1guy
09-08-2005, 11:26 AM
I have tried for years and found Members but they told me no.So look out for those kind of Members.I just wanted to do it once. I thought I ask Nicely. One of those Friend of a Friend who had it.I also found a friend who's uncle was part.But told no again.

Tink...here's an exchange on this subject from another thread:

Quote:
Well, it seems that the lawfirm won't make the reservations anymore without an actual employee of the firm going with you. They had some problems with an employee's children abusing a different benefit and became concerned that "Friends of the Firm" might not display the standard of behavior that they wanted associated with their firm's reputation.

My response:
My Member-friend has a similar policy because they have been "stung" before by inappropriate behavior on the part so some "guests."

Basically now, my friend will only make Guest Reservations when he knows the person that will visit. And knows that person will respect the traditions of the Club. He will no longer make reservations for unknown "friends of friends" or any person he's not personally willing to vouch for.

Apparently when a Member's guests on a Guest Reservation do not behave properly or have un-notified no-shows and other infractions...the Member can get pretty firm letters from the Club reminding them to be more careful in the future. And apparently the Club keeps "tabs" on infractions and if you get too many of these letters, the Member could find their Guest privileges revoked or worse.

I personally know (or have known) over 70 members of Club 33 over the years (very few that I would consider "snobbish" by-the-way) and I think from all the stories I've heard from them, that they all started out their memberships as being extremely generous in making reservations for folks that were referred to them who they didn't personally know. And at some point they almost all got the type of person that picks up their passes and then doesn't dine at the Club (a double-whammy penalty for the Member that then gets billed for the full retail price of the tickets and the $50 something per person no-show restaurant charge!), or that behaves inappropriately at the Club (including theft of logo items, which seems to be a reoccurring problem).

Remember...it's not just a reservation the Member is making for a total stranger here. The Member is also putting themselves at risk financially if something goes wrong, and also the related risk to their valuable Membership and/or Guest Reservation Privilege, which can be withdrawn. And in some cases such as the lawfirm above...they are risking a degree of their reputation.

So I think it would be a good thing to keep that in mind when referring to the "kind of Member" that seems chincy with using their Guest Reservation Privilege for complete strangers. Those complete strangers can (and sadly in many cases, have) cost them some serious dollars. And more.

Personally, I hope that someday anyone that would truly appreciate the traditions and heritage of what Club 33 represents...gets to dine there if they wish. Keep looking and asking around! You may find a Member that hasn't been stung yet!

:)

Lani
09-08-2005, 11:49 AM
There are various exclusive clubs all over the place. The Red Carpet Club for United Airlines, the American Club in Tokyo, various golf country clubs, and so on. As Steph said, part of the allure of these places IS the very fact that they have restricted admission, and not everyone can go.

That said, I HAVE been a Red Carpet Club member, and been in the American Club, as well as Club 33. My general impression is that once you're "inside the berm," so to speak, there's really nothing THAT special. Pardon if my comment isn't child-friendly, but it's a lot like seeing the opposite sex totally nude for the first time. You wonder for years what it's like, and then when you are finally there, you say, "Oh, is that it?"

Having dined at Club 33, I think the experience and service I got at the Fantasmic Dessert Buffet on the Disney Gallery balcony was actually quite a bit superior. Not to say I didn't enjoy my Club 33 experience. It was very nice and I enjoyed it very much, and I still very much appreciate the opportunity I had. But call it "snob appeal;" I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and we've enjoyed dining at some really nice restaurants that were far more impressive than Club 33. Or in fact, my experience at Victoria & Albert's at the WDW Grand Floridian far outtopped Club 33 by about a 40-mile margin. And THAT only requires you to make reservations early (and only costs a fraction).

lauramaynot
09-08-2005, 12:01 PM
I personally know (or have known) over 70 members of Club 33 over the years (very few that I would consider "snobbish" by-the-way) and I think from all the stories I've heard from them, that they all started out their memberships as being extremely generous in making reservations for folks that were referred to them who they didn't personally know. And at some point they almost all got the type of person that picks up their passes and then doesn't dine at the Club (a double-whammy penalty for the Member that then gets billed for the full retail price of the tickets and the $50 something per person no-show restaurant charge!), or that behaves inappropriately at the Club (including theft of logo items, which seems to be a reoccurring problem).

So what I am getting is that there have been problems in the past with people abusing their priviliges. My question is what exactly the abuse is...and why anyone would do anything like stealing from club 33?? I may be getting the chance to go in the future. When my sister told me she had someone who had offered her tickets, I was very suspicious because of the things I have heard on this board. She said her friend only wants us to all prepay him and that we must go to the park (and the club) with him, which I am more than willing to do. Still not sure if I will be able to get this incredible opprotunity but if I do I would never think of screwing the person who is going to allow me to go. I won't take my kids even though I have heard that they are allowed in because I respect the other members who may be there and would never want to ruin their time in the park. I would be making the trip for the purpose of going to club 33 and anything else that day would just be a bonus...

Tinker Bell
09-08-2005, 01:09 PM
Well I just have to say that I made alot about How I would not take my kids .My friend and I would dress up. Like I said before this is a big Deal for me.The worse I would do would want to take pix.So I could remember my first visit and last Visit.I can not afford being a member ( Being a family of 6 with one income)Now or ever.I know there are hurt members out there but Why have it. if your paying to go for yourself now and again.Your paying thousand just to get in the park for free and eat a $50 meal for your self and family. Share people. I told them I would pay my part. I can not pay the cost of those Ebay ones.

disney jones
09-08-2005, 01:17 PM
i just want to say, thanks to several MP members who have posted pictorial logs and journals of their visits to CLub 33, they've really satisifed mostly all of my desire to go now. THANK YOU!! :)

Clotho
09-08-2005, 01:50 PM
"but if I do I would never think of screwing the person who is going to allow me to go."

That is my feeling exactly! It amazes me that someone would find someone trusting and generous enough to give them the priviledge of going to this very exclusive, and for many once-in-a-lifetime, experience...and then not show up?!

Wow.

I have heard before from folks who have gone, that the bragging rights of having gone is the big draw, and that while the meal is lovely, the overall experience isn't really that "high class". I just imagine that most people who "love Disneyland with a deep part of their heart that most other folks wouldn't understand" just want to "walk in Walt's foosteps" by being in That Room, and experiencing the history of it. I know that's what it is for me. My husband loving teases me about my childlike adoration for Disney history and anecdotes, and how I get teared up at the littlest details, because that is what Disneyland is really about for me. And I suspect folks who want to dine just once at Club 33 feel the same way. They aren't looking for posh service and a meal to end all meals. It is the chance to be a part of a unique piece of Disney history, as corny as that sounds.

Speaking of getting burned...I laughed at one story I read from a CM who said that a table of clearly avid Disneyanna fans had STOLEN A TOILET SEAT. I guess I thought that being a fan of Disney meant you were also a proponent of the entire spirit behind Disney, and stealing a toilet seat (or anything else for that matter) would be in direct violation of that. But I am not so naive as to disbelieve the frequency with which this likely happens.

I totally do, honestly, understand why people are holding their comp passes close to their chests these days, with stories like that and others shared here. I just have a hard time imagining anyone with genuine love for Disney ideals and any modicum of respect for other people, especially the people who went out of their way to give them a ticket(!!), being so ridiculously rude!

*shaking head*
Now I sound like an old grandma talking about "the old days". LOL!

lauramaynot
09-08-2005, 02:19 PM
*shaking head*
Now I sound like an old grandma talking about "the old days". LOL!

You don't sound like an old grandma at all. When my kids hang on the railings or stand up on benches or chairs I am always reminding them that "we don't ruin disneyland" I have seen the looks others have given me upon that remark as if I am the crazy one for wanting to keep the place as clean and nice as I can. The world is just a different place now many people are looking for someone else to clean it up for them instead of keeping it nice to begin with :(

Clotho
09-08-2005, 02:21 PM
I love that. "We don't ruin Disneyland". I have to remember that one.