PDA

View Full Version : DCA/Downtown Disney recs for a newbie?

CarlieB
02-25-2002, 01:50 PM
Hi:-)

My boyfriend and I will be visiting the resort the first week of August, on our way back from the UK. We have been to Disneyland before, but not DCA or Downtown Disney. Do you have any recommendations for what to do/what to avoid for first-timers to these areas? We will be at the resort for 4 days.

tabacco
02-25-2002, 02:02 PM
Don't eat at Y Arriba Y Arriba :)

Ghoulish Delight
02-25-2002, 03:01 PM
[u]DCA[\u]
Grizzly Rapids
Soarin' Over California
Maliboomer
California Screamin'
Muppet Vision 3D
Animation Building
Bug's Life
Who Wants to be a Millionaire (if you like the show)
At least take a look at the lobby of the Grand Californian. It's nifty

[u]DTD[\u]
Catal has good drinks and good tapas
the Lego store is fun
ESPN Sportzone if you like sports/sports video games/alcohol
World of Disney (what every Disney Store SHOULD be)

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

stan4d_steph
02-25-2002, 03:14 PM
Welcome CarlieB! Hope you have a good trip home.

A lot of the food in DCA is pretty high in my opinion. One "hidden treasure" we've found is Whitewater Snacks, which is actually in the Grand Californian hotel, by the pool. The food prices there are lower than in the park and the food is good. They have very good desserts (brownies, macaroons, banana cream pie) and good hot and cold sandwiches.

disneynut
02-25-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
Don't eat at Y Arriba Y Arriba :)

I wish somebody had told us that!! With it being August and probably busy, make sure you take advantage of the FastPass system. The Rainforest Cafe in Downtown Disney is kinda neat if you've never seen one. And the beignets at the Jazz Kitchen walk up service are unbelievable!

tabacco
02-25-2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by disneynut
And the beignets at the Jazz Kitchen walk up service are unbelievable!

I think I just gained 5 pounds from just seeing the word "beignets." Curse you!

disneynut
02-25-2002, 04:50 PM
Hence the reason we do as much walking as we do at the resort. Parking lot tram? What's that? I gotta justify the beignets. (Doesn't really work but my psyche fills better.) :D

EandCDad
02-25-2002, 05:58 PM
At DCA, see Blast and go on Soarin for sure. Go to the animation building if you are a fan of Disney animation. If you are more of a theme park fan (rather than a Disney fan) you can skip it.

I like Whitewater Snacks also, it has good food, its very quiet, and its cheaper than other places in DTD and DCA. Ask a cast member at the Grand Californian how to find it.

Uncle Dick
02-25-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by stan4d_steph
Welcome CarlieB! Hope you have a good trip home.

A lot of the food in DCA is pretty high in my opinion. One "hidden treasure" we've found is Whitewater Snacks, which is actually in the Grand Californian hotel, by the pool. The food prices there are lower than in the park and the food is good. They have very good desserts (brownies, macaroons, banana cream pie) and good hot and cold sandwiches.

Whitewater Snacks also features the only unlimited free refills that I know of in the park. Definitely a great place to stop by if you've got the munchies. At DCA, don't miss BLAST! or the Grizzly River Run.

tjrj
02-26-2002, 07:28 AM
I may get "flamed" for this but here goes: if you haven't visited a "Build a Bear" store before-take a peek at the one in DD. Especially if there's a birthday party going on. The kids-both the large and small ones, are having such fun building their bears and dressing them-it's fun.

Also, as mentioned before, it may be crowded in August-especially on a weekend. If you do want to eat at any of the restaurants in DD, use the priority seating number to make reservations. Waits of over an hour during the weekend were the norm when we were there in December without a reservation.

Iceman
03-06-2002, 09:51 AM
My wife and I have really enjoyed our meals at Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen at Downtown Disney. The food is great, the service spectacular, and the ambiance just right. And for DCA, just try everything! You can do it all in a day and you might find that you'll enjoy things (e.g. Superstar Limo) that others don't.