PDA

View Full Version : IQ Decreases in Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

matt5172
09-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Obviously there are some DUMB guests out there, but I've actually felt my own IQ drop as soon as I enter the park. It must be some marketing scheme to make us pay 14 dollars for a churro without realizing it(They're just so goood). But seriously, is the average guest dumber than the average person? Post your stupid guest encounters in this topic(I know it's been done before but whatever). I'll start it off with this one:

There were some people behind me in line for Big Thunder who were worried that if they got a fastpass and then left the park, they wouldn't be allowed back in. They thought the fastpass machine would take their ticket.

animagusurreal
09-06-2005, 01:37 AM
There were some people behind me in line for Big Thunder who were worried that if they got a fastpass and then left the park, they wouldn't be allowed back in. They thought the fastpass machine would take their ticket.

IMHO, that's probably more just inexperience. I used to be a cashier at Target, and we got new credit card machines where the customer would insert the card into a slot and the machine would suck it up and not give it back until the end of the transaction. Every single customer jumped when it did that and joked that we weren't going to give it back to them.

I have a silly Disneyland guest story - about my dad, but this is pretty much what he acts like everywhere, not just at DL :rolleyes: . We were in the standby line for BTMRR, which wasn't a very long line anyway, when he discovered that the line next to us has already moved way ahead. He leapt over the chain and began running down the line, beckoning me to follow him. "That's the Fastpass line!" I yelled to him. "Come on!" he yelled back as he kept running. A couple minutes later he came sheepishly back. "It was the Fastpass line!" he said. When we got to the merge point, the CM teased him in a Frontierland western accent, "you were tryin' to cut in line!" I said, "I tried to tell him it was the fastpass line," and the CM said, "he's lucky he's got you to take care of him :D "

Here's another story, not from DL, but from Camelot Park, the local family fun center/mini golf course, another place I used to work.

I worked in the batting cages, holding people's driver's liscenses in exchange for batting equipment. A large sign right next to my window said

VALID DRIVERS LISCENSE OR ID ONLY
NO EXCEPTIONS
(this includes keys)

A guest tried to give me their car keys, and when I told her I wasn't allowed to take them, she said "but it says 'this includes keys'" :D

potzbie
09-06-2005, 09:53 AM
VALID DRIVERS LISCENSE OR ID ONLY
NO EXCEPTIONS
(this includes keys)
A guest tried to give me their car keys, and when I told her I wasn't allowed to take them, she said "but it says 'this includes keys'" :D
I don't get it.
If the word KEYS does not refer to car keys, then what kind of keys are being referred to?

ima_mickeyfan
09-06-2005, 09:56 AM
I don't get it.
If the word KEYS does not refer to car keys, then what kind of keys are being referred to?
what I think it means is that you can not leave your keys instead of the valid ID that is required.

DisneyDustin22
09-06-2005, 10:00 AM
I have worked in theme park operations for almost 5 years now. The turnstyles at the gates seem to have a negative effect on guests. They suck the common sense out of them when they walk in. I don't get it. What baffles me the most is, you have guests from ALL over the world. Guests have driven through dirt roads in egypt, to a small airfield and flown to cairo, then flown to england, then new york, then LA. Rented a car. drove to their hotel, drove to find some dinner, woke up, got dressed, drove the maze of freeways in LA to get to the park. They have come all that way, followed all those directions, all those maps, left turns, right turns, u turns. What do they do when they open the park map? Its like they never used one in their life! They'll walk right up to you, "Uhhhhh where's the bathroom? I can't find it on this map?" Hey, look up, see the little man and the little woman? You're here! Yay! "Uhhhh, but I don't see it on this map?" What does it matter, you found it! Another one of my favorites is, "Hey guys welcome to Spalsh Mountain, right this way." "Yeah, can you tell me how to get to Splash Mountain?" This is when I hand the guest a shovel, and have them hit me in the head many times. Once I feel weary enough, I can answer their questions. :)

DisneyDustin22
09-06-2005, 10:01 AM
I don't get it.

Shovel!

crazi4dlr
09-06-2005, 10:28 AM
My favorite is the first time DH and I went on Indiana Jones (and the three hour line) we were in line in the que and my husband said this is the most boring attraction I've seen. I had to tell him we were still in line and the displays were part of the line not the ride itself. We still laugh today about that. He's cute, not all there at times, but cute.

minniemom
09-06-2005, 10:38 AM
I hope my IQ drops when I go to DL. That is one of the main purposes I go, to not think at all for a whole week. The only thing I want my brain to input is where and what I am going to eat and what attraction are we going on next!!!

ToursbabeC3po
09-06-2005, 11:14 AM
My Favorite was working at star tours and a guest asked. "How do i get to magic mountain?" They meant space mountain.

stan4d_steph
09-06-2005, 11:17 AM
One of my favorite overheard mixed up attraction names was the use of "Spooky House" for Haunted Mansion.

"Let's go to the Spooky House!"

TowerofTerror
09-06-2005, 11:20 AM
wow mine favorite is when they ask at space mountain and cast member said you here for the teacups when right in front is the sign that say Space Mountain before you get inside the building

Uncle Remus
09-06-2005, 12:30 PM
http://stupidguesttricks.com/vb3/index2.php

twist1980
09-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Hey Uncle Remus, loved that site, thanks for the link!

I totally agree that people step through the turnstiles and leave their brains behind. In some cases, I think that some people (especially first timers) are completly in awe of what they are seeing and forget common sense...it's total sensory overload!

Then of course there are the dumb people who are that way all the time!

TowerofTerror
09-06-2005, 01:23 PM
thanks for the site i loved the site too

mariezp
09-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Well said! Those are my thoughs exactly!

AVP
09-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Shovel! :eek:

SCUBAbe
09-08-2005, 07:58 PM
I don't think it's limited to theme parks....I think peoples IQ's drop when they go out into public. I worked retail and there were some real special people there. Also, working as a waitress...OMG...people act like complete idiots when they go out to eat. My favorite was the woman who was dieting and ordered diet coke, a salad with lemons on the side, fettichinni alfredo-with extra alfredo, and bread sticks with alfredo....well, gee...maybe you should just order the regular coke and salad dressing, because all that alfredo will set your diet back 2 weeks anyway...*sigh* (she also proudly told me she was dieting...*shrug*) I had to quit that job. I was getting to be to much of a smart ***.

coronado_g
09-08-2005, 08:12 PM
My brain deflates BEFORE even getting to the entry turnstile because I'm forever forgetting to take notice of where I parked! I'm so eager to get out and run that I just lock the car and take off without looking at the aisle identification.

Colin
09-08-2005, 10:42 PM
My brain deflates BEFORE even getting to the entry turnstile because I'm forever forgetting to take notice of where I parked! I'm so eager to get out and run that I just lock the car and take off without looking at the aisle identification.

ROFLMAO! Been there, Done that! Though not at Disney (Well California anyway) The place I do it most regularly would be a theme park in the UK, Alton Towers. Almost every time I go I forget to look where I park. Once I was searching for my car for over 30 minutes!!!

C°o°lin

tom522
09-09-2005, 12:32 AM
I love it when guests ask for a fastpass when the stand by wait is only 9 minutes-ITS NINE MINUTES WHAT DO YOU NEED A FASTPASS FOR?-HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU THINK A FASTPASS WILL SAVE YOU FOR A 9 MINUTE STAND BY WAIT? WHAT YOU THINK 9 MINUTES IS A LONG TIME? happens every day.

coronado_g
09-09-2005, 12:41 AM
I love it when guests ask for a fastpass when the stand by wait is only 9 minutes-ITS NINE MINUTES WHAT DO YOU NEED A FASTPASS FOR?-HOW MUCH TIME DO YOU THINK A FASTPASS WILL SAVE YOU FOR A 9 MINUTE STAND BY WAIT? WHAT YOU THINK 9 MINUTES IS A LONG TIME? happens every day.
Those guests are probably doing what I have ALWAYS done on my favorite rides...I grab a FastPass no matter how short the line is at that moment, then get in line to ride. I save the FastPass for later in the day so I can ride a 2nd time. Now what's so dumb about that?

evrythngwmn
09-09-2005, 01:30 AM
I wonder how many people besides me noticed this today:

As we were getting out of our jeep on Indy the attractions hostess said, "Thank you for riding Star Tours. Please exit to the left." Intentional or not it gave me a giggle.

Viva La Disney
09-09-2005, 02:09 AM
Okay, here's one that's more of just being oblivious to the names of attractions, but my pet peeve is when people say "Screamin' Over California" :mad: It makes me soooo mad. Like I said, more of a pet peeve of mine then the guest being dumb.

Swhite
09-09-2005, 05:51 AM
I have an ornery streak but I like to tell people I'm with (who don't know better) that certain live things are animatronics, such as walking over the drawbridge and seeing birds, etc: "Look at how well Disney does with their robotics?" hee hee I get such a kick out of it when they are awed.

Probably someone will overhear me and will report me on this board as a moronic guest!

In a couple weeks I am coming with two people who have never been, so I will have fun, won't I?

The funnest was telling my kids that Billy Hill was animatronic. Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

09-09-2005, 06:18 AM
I have an ornery streak but I like to tell people I'm with (who don't know better) that certain live things are animatronics, such as walking over the drawbridge and seeing birds, etc

My husband would completely believe you. He also thinks all plantings are plastic.