PDA

View Full Version : My first solo trip to Disneyland. NEED ADVICE!

N2Disney
02-25-2002, 11:47 AM
I knew if anyone could help me, you guys could. I'm from Oklahoma and have been to Disneyland on two different occasions - both times with my husband and son (once when he was 4 and again on his 6th birthday.) For my 40th birthday my husband said I could go to Disneyland all by myself and do whatever my little heart desires, within reason that is. I eat, breath, and sleep Disney so this is a HUGE treat for me. I hope I'm not the worst parent alive by not taking my son but he has gone twice already and both times we did what he wanted. I missed so much - rides, of course, but just being able to soak it all up. I will be going sometime during the first two weeks of May - probably for three days, four if I go the day my flight arrives. This is where I need help. Do many people go alone or will I look like a loser? Any special deals or things to do for solo visitors? What are your recommendations for making the most out of this opportunity?

JimG
02-25-2002, 12:09 PM
Don't know about any "special deals" (but check out the "Disney Club" at your local Disney Store or go to the Disney.com site for info /membership).

Don't worry about "being alone", or about your age. I am in my mid-50's, went alone to the Disneyland Resort the first week of September, 2001, and had a great time! I stayed at the Grand Californian (but visited Paradise Pier Hotel & Disneyland Hotel). Cast members don't blink an eye if an adult wants to ride alone on Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland, Autopia, or whatever.

Go there and have a wonderful trip. I did!

Best,

Jim

Uncle Dick
02-25-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by N2Disney
Do many people go alone or will I look like a loser?

I always go alone. Whether or not I look like a loser is subjective, I suppose, but I like to think there's something kind of cool about just walking around secure in your solitary status.

Any special deals or things to do for solo visitors?

Single Rider, without a doubt. Gets you on two very popular rides (Indy and Soarin') with nary a wait. Cutting through large crowds is also a lot easier, since you don't have to keep track of others in your party.

What are your recommendations for making the most out of this opportunity?

Do everything you ever wanted to do but couldn't because no one else wanted to. Bring a book; it can get boring without anyone to talk to in line.

downingfamily1
02-25-2002, 12:32 PM
Don't worry, you are not a bad mom for not taking your son! My husband and I took our two boys in December and in June we are going to go alone for our 10th anniversary. Although I feel a little guilty for going without the kids, I look forward to doing things on my own schedule and spending more time just taking in the atmosphere and the shops. Have a great time! It also might help if you promise to bring him back something really cool! ;)

mad4mky
02-25-2002, 12:34 PM
Go alone....you'll have a ball!
I have never done it...but I am thinking I might just do that this spring after I get back from Europe.

And, don't feel bad about not taking your son. That doesn't make you a bad parent. I have gone to DL many times without my 3 girls. AND...I went on the Disney Cruise...and WDW the first time without my kids. But, I had such a good time at WDW, I couldn't wait to have my girls see it...so I took them the next year!

You'll probably find you'll be the same.

You will have a good time without him, but you'll also think "oh, (son's name here) will love this ride...or (son's name again) will love to see this...

KD Didd
02-25-2002, 02:22 PM
Enjoy the time you have alone, and take your time through the park. Using Single Rider tickets and Fastpass will mean you have extra time for shopping and basking in the Disney ambiance.

People watching is always a great thing to do at Disneyland. From the drawbridge of the Castle to balcony of the Gallery, other guests can be more amusing than hired performers.

I would suggetst wandering DTD on the day you arrive (after you've settled, of course) and save some money on admission.

Ace
02-25-2002, 05:11 PM
it's the best. be sure to use the Indy single rider line (ask one of the cast members at the entrance for a pass).

cemeinke
02-25-2002, 05:31 PM
There are worse places to be alone than in Disneyland. I don't know how anyone couldn't have a good time even alone.

One of the nice things I like to do when I'm alone is just spend some time wandering the park and enjoying the some of the outdoor entertainment that isn't always listed on the schedule. Get a mocha or an ice cream and enjoy the Main Street Merchant's Marching Band, the Trash Can Trio, any of the Musicians in New Orleans Square, or the chance to Shine Girls at DCA.

People watching is also much fun.

Now, just to mention another option, if you'd like to meet some other folks that share your love of Disney, there are plenty of Mouse Padders out there who are always looking for another excuse to go to the Park. Or, should you find yourself at the Park on a Sunday, you can meet some of us for bruch :D

HTHBellcaptain
02-25-2002, 06:16 PM
I have spent ten days by myself in the Anaheim area a few years ago. I had a blast. I did not get bored, on the contrary it was a very liberating experience. It gave me a chance to do what I wanted to do. For most of us, it is rare to spoil ourselves. So I say spoil yourself rotten. You deserve it.

Cemeinke mentioned that mousepadder love to find an excuse to go out there. If you are interested in meeting other folks while you're out there, go to the Lounge section of Community (MousePad). They're always talking about meeting at Disneyland. Have a great time!!! (I wish I could go soon!)

MouseWife
02-25-2002, 06:38 PM
Oh, how lucky you are to be going by yourself!!!

Not to have to compromise on what to do, what to ride, what to eat! I haven't been without the kids since '84!

The closest thing I will have is when I go up for that Soap weekend. I am taking my daughter and we are going to have our cell phones OFF and we are going to do what we want!!!

Lost Boy
02-25-2002, 08:40 PM
I go alone all the time, and I am not telling my age. Elves live a Long Time and I have been here since it opened.

Forget the book. If you are standing in a long line start paying attention to the folks around you. Listen to what they are saying and if you hear something interesting, or somebody is confused about something and no one in their party can help, jump in and help them. I have met more interesting people, from all over the world, waiting in line for a ride or show. My knowledge of Disneyland come in handy sometimes and I always make friends while at the Park.

If you have the time, walk the Park like Walt did. Walk down Main Street and look up and read the names on the Windows on Main Street and realize that those names are the people who helped Walt build his dream. This was his way of giving "Screen Credit" to those who helped build the Park. Look at al the detail that is everywhere.

And here is a hunt for you. The Lion King (Muffasa) is in the Park watching over you all. He can only be seen from a few spots around the Hub or over near the Little Mermaid fountain area. Find Him. He has been there since 1969. That's a Hint.

Look for hidden Mickeys. They are all over the place, but you have to look.

Go on all the Fantasyland Dark Rides (if they are all open of course).

Don't be afraid that you are a lone adult. Remember Walt Disney himself once said, "There is not much adult in a child, but there is plenty of child in an adult". Find that child in you and have a ball.

jslivinski
03-21-2002, 10:04 AM
Lucky you, go and have a wonderful time and if you get a chance to meet any of the "wacky" people from this site do it (they really are normal, and nice too). I have never used single rider, but from everything I've heard you should use it when you can. I assume you just ask the CM at the front of the ride if the have a single rider line. Can anyone confirm this.

blusilva
03-21-2002, 11:39 PM
If you have the time to do it and have satisfied all your ride cravings, I suggest some quiet time. I like to people watch, meditate on Walt's gifts to the world and write in my journal when I'm in the park alone. My favorite spots in Disneyland are the patio at the Disney Gallery (over Pirates of the Carribean), Tom Sawyer's Island, the Mark Twain (there's more actual seating there than on the Columbia) and Town Square. I also love to ride the Train around the park and the Monorail around the resort. (I miss the People Mover!)

DCA has some really nice scenic areas near the Grizzly Rapids (I can never remember the name of that ride) - a bit damp, but they have a lot of character.

Someone else already mentioned the entertainment, and I'm going to emphatically second that suggestion. Listen to the marching band if you come across them (last Sunday I saw them board the Mark Twain and play. It was magic!). New Orleans Square often has street musicians out and about and a jazz band that comes out on the balcony and tosses beads. Sometimes there is an awesome steel drum band on top of the shop between the Tiki Room and the Jungle Cruise in Adventureland. I *love* them. Keep your ears peeled.

If you go into DCA, it's ALL about the street entertainment over there. There's always someone performing. Just follow your ears.

Oh, and one more thing! When you are by yourself, you really have the chance to poke around the nice little spots and lesser attractions that people often run right by in their pursuit of cramming in all the big E Ticket rides they can. I suggest you stop by the Fire House on Main Street, pop in and say hi to Mickey and Minnie in their respective domiciles in ToonTown, go on the Storybookland Canal boats, see Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln and catch the Princess story telling in Fantasyland if they still do that. Even better, if you have the desire and some extra cash, book yourself on the Walk In Walt's Footsteps tour. I'd be jealous, because that's something I *still* haven't gotten around to, but I hear it's well worth the money!

Don't worry about "being seen as a loser". No one cares. :) And if you get lonely, strike up a conversation with someone in line. People are super-friendly when they are in Disneyland.

MonorailMan
03-22-2002, 05:45 AM
And If Your Going To Ride:

Indy and Soarin' (Man I've said that word alot :) ), have Single rider, no need to wait in line! :D

I think other rides have it too, but unsure. :)

N2Disney
03-25-2002, 02:12 PM
I just want to thank everyone for their wonderful comments, suggestions and support. I have gone back and forth so many times on going alone but now that I know so many people do it, I'm not so nervous about it. Thanks again for all the great help!