PDA

View Full Version : Remember, Babies come true (people stand up!)

Mickey
09-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Ive been reading the blanket issue for fantasmic show.. I totally hate when people leave there belongings in the floor to reserve a "space" and they are not even there!

Now in the REMEMBER show, I see that people sit down if
you are in front of the castle no problem with that, but why do they insist to sit in the street (distance from the Walt Dsiney statue) I mean behind the statue you NEED TO STAND UP!!!! FIREWORKS ARE IN THE SKY! not in your front neighboors "but"
This saturday the show started and some folks where standing up and people from behind where screaming :"HEEEY SIT DOWN" :mad:

People start standing, and holding newborn babys in there shoulders I think that is wrong too,
babys get scared with some noise in the foreworks show, and parents INSIST to hold them in the sky almost want them to touch tinkerbell and little babys crying!!! and people behind them (thats me) trying to enjoy the show.
Next time ill hide in Snow White's Wishing Well.

For me it was called And Remember ... Babys come True. :eek:

nickbrown2k2
09-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Standing up is a HUGE issue, in my opinion with Remember... I sat on the left hand side of the hub (nearest Adventureland, etc.) and it was fine until the show started...People started standing up. It didn't totally ruin my experience, but it was darn rude!

DianeM
09-05-2005, 02:45 PM
This is a case of differing expectations, not rudness. Some people just assume that the "right" way to view something up in the air is by standing and looking up. Others want to sit down and look up. I don't think we'll ever find a happy medium, unless the park created "sitting" and "standing" zones. I'm actually in the standing group, by the way. I try to find a place near a wall, usually, because I'm tall and will block the view of anybody whom I stand in front of. I can't tell you how many times I've been standing at a parade, minding my own business, trying not to block views, when people walked up right in front of me and stood there blocking MY view. I actually avolid most parades, as a result. Too frustrating.

Standing up is a HUGE issue, in my opinion with Remember... I sat on the left hand side of the hub (nearest Adventureland, , etc.) and it was fine until the show started...People started standing up. It didn't totally ruin my experience, but it was darn rude!

MrsG
09-05-2005, 03:02 PM
I don't remember the standing - sitting controversy being a problem with the other fireworks shows. Why is it suddenly an issue??

Andrew
09-05-2005, 04:11 PM
I don't remember the standing - sitting controversy being a problem with the other fireworks shows. Why is it suddenly an issue??
Previous shows ("Fantasy in the Sky" and to an extent "Believe...") were not nearly as dependent on your location within the park for the proper experience of the show. "Remember..." is best experienced from a very small (comparatively) area in front of the Castle; "Fantasy in the Sky" looked pretty much the same from anywhere in the park. So people stake out their preferred space early and get possesive about the views they've reserved.

olegc
09-05-2005, 05:57 PM
Previous shows ("Fantasy in the Sky" and to an extent "Believe...") were not nearly as dependent on your location within the park for the proper experience of the show. "Remember..." is best experienced from a very small (comparatively) area in front of the Castle; "Fantasy in the Sky" looked pretty much the same from anywhere in the park. So people stake out their preferred space early and get possesive about the views they've reserved.

not to mention the popularity of the show making for large crowded conditions. Can you all remember the final days of Believe? Standing room only in the hub area...

Mary Faith
09-05-2005, 06:01 PM
ummmmm hopefully I won't get bashed for this but if i can't find a bench to sit for whatever reason that we might be running late or bathroom break and somebody took my spot on a bench then I will stand rather then sit as I have Rhumatoid Arthritis and sitting on the ground is not an option. It would actually make it worse then standing. And although I can understand some not being able to see it's still a street and no seats out there for the show. So standing it will be for me!

MrsG
09-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Previous shows ("Fantasy in the Sky" and to an extent "Believe...") were not nearly as dependent on your location within the park for the proper experience of the show.
All true, and explains the staking out of space, but still doesn't explain the standing vs. sitting issue. Is this an issue for Fantasmic? (I never wait for that show - just show and hope for the best or get the dessert buffet tickets).

Gone2Disneyland
09-05-2005, 06:33 PM
This is a case of differing expectations, not rudness. Some people just assume that the "right" way to view something up in the air is by standing and looking up. Others want to sit down and look up. I don't think we'll ever find a happy medium, unless the park created "sitting" and "standing" zones. I'm actually in the standing group, by the way.

Very open-minded point of view. :)

I've been a "sitter" in front of the Castle four times and have been very grateful that no one's stood up during any of those times as everyone in that 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock rim at the top of the Hub remained seated during the fireworks. So I've come to expect that to be the case every other time I'm there. In fact, I remember a couple of times when a CM announced to us at least a half hour before the start of the show that we should remain seated in this area when the show starts so we don't block anyone's view behind us. Looking back, I'm positive one of those times was when priority seating for the park tour was still in that aisle down of the Walt & Mickey statue. In any case, despite those announcements, I know there really isn't any "law" from Disneyland that that's an "official" sitting zone, so if ever I'm there again and there're guests who insist on standing during the show, I guess I'm outta luck. And I'm sure I'll be listening to a secondary soundtrack of "Sit down" during the show, in real surround-sound, tho' I'll do my best to not be a part of that chorus.

Btw, the last time I went, a friend with me couldn't stay seated with our group there because her back wouldn't stand it (no pun intended), so she found a place to stand closer and to the side of the Castle but not blocking others if she could help it. And it wasn't that we forced her away, it was obvious the area was looking like an all-sitters area and so she found a standing location for herself. Another friend of ours joined her to keep her company.

Disneynerd
09-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Mickey, is it the babies or the standing? IMHO, I don't like threads that say negative things about babies or children. You are in Disneyland. DISNEYLAND. If babies bother you, please don't go to Disneyland. As a parent it breaks my heart to hear people complain about children. BTW, it's not physically possible to put a newborn on your shoulders.

nickbrown2k2
09-05-2005, 07:21 PM
ummmmm hopefully I won't get bashed for this but if i can't find a bench to sit for whatever reason that we might be running late or bathroom break and somebody took my spot on a bench then I will stand rather then sit as I have Rhumatoid Arthritis and sitting on the ground is not an option. It would actually make it worse then standing. And although I can understand some not being able to see it's still a street and no seats out there for the show. So standing it will be for me!

Standing is alright, and totally understandable in certain sections of the hub. I'm talking about when you stand in front of the people who are already sitting.

There are always exceptions to everything, but I'm mainly talking about when you stand directly in front of someone sitting...

SCUBAbe
09-05-2005, 08:41 PM
Mickey, is it the babies or the standing? IMHO, I don't like threads that say negative things about babies or children. You are in Disneyland. DISNEYLAND. If babies bother you, please don't go to Disneyland. As a parent it breaks my heart to hear people complain about children. BTW, it's not physically possible to put a newborn on your shoulders.

hmmmm...I don't like babies if they are screaming and the pareants will not remove them or make them stop and I don't like small children when they whine thorw tantrums or walk right inot me while looking behind them, but I will continue going to DL, outside my house, the mall, and out to eat. I will ignore them the best I can if they are acting up and the parents don't have the common decency to remove so they don't disrupt everyones experience....on second thought, maybe I don't have a problem with babies or kids...I may just have a problem with clueless self absorbed parents...

CariBelle
09-05-2005, 08:53 PM
My only issue with the stand/sit debate is this- when it is 20 minutes before Remember starts, do not try to walk your whole freaking family through the area in front of the castle! People we trying to walk across to tomorrowland! So freaking rude.

TowerofTerror
09-05-2005, 09:07 PM
well yes that will is very rude. I had that happen to owhen i was in front of castle

PirateSmile
09-05-2005, 09:11 PM
My mom and I sat for quite some time waiting for the fireworks, but people just started moving up in front of us and standing up in front of us, so really it wasn't worth the wait. Didn't really make me angry, though. I was able to make the most of the situation. I got a really cute picture of the fireworks. You can see the shooting star things just starting to fly, and then right on the side a mommy is holding her baby on her shoulder. :)

A lot of people aren't Disneyland/Ettiquette experts though, so if some people just walk in front of me when I'm trying to watch something I don't really care. It was only a mistake, and it didn't make me miss the whole thing.

coronado_g
09-05-2005, 09:22 PM
The standing/sitting issue is the reason I haven't even bothered to view the show from the Hub. It just don't want to risk upsetting myself...and I definitely would get VERY upset if I had staked out a super view and then someone ruined it by standing in the way. So I've watched the show from everywhere EXCEPT the Hub.

Disneynerd
09-06-2005, 09:50 AM
hmmmm...I don't like babies if they are screaming and the pareants will not remove them or make them stop and I don't like small children when they whine thorw tantrums or walk right inot me while looking behind them, but I will continue going to DL, outside my house, the mall, and out to eat. I will ignore them the best I can if they are acting up and the parents don't have the common decency to remove so they don't disrupt everyones experience....on second thought, maybe I don't have a problem with babies or kids...I may just have a problem with clueless self absorbed parents...I agree that it is the responsibility of parents to take care of their children. It is difficult, however, to teach a toddler not to "walk right in to you while looking behind them". A child's listening and comprehension skills are a bit limited and that should be respected and tolerated. Children are members of our society just like me and you.

lauramaynot
09-06-2005, 12:17 PM
I agree that it is the responsibility of parents to take care of their children. It is difficult, however, to teach a toddler not to "walk right in to you while looking behind them". A child's listening and comprehension skills are a bit limited and that should be respected and tolerated. Children are members of our society just like me and you.
I agree with you both! as a parent it is difficult to get small children to walk though an area where they are so mezmerized that they can't focus on walking the way they should - my 8 year old still does this at times and it drives me crazy especially in big crowds - I want my kids to enjoy their experience so I hate to rush them but I also want to get through crowds. It's a hard debate for me because I try to keep my kids in check but I know that part of their experiance is having a good day with me, if I am nagging and yelling at them in line or walking down mainstreet that ruins it for all of us. I mean how many times do you see people yelling at their kids in the park and you think "Wow, your supposed to be having fun here not screaming at your kids!" So I suppose I am the hypocrite who disciplines my kids and always feels guilty for it. ;)

newportbeachbumz
09-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Ok now... I have stood between the hub and castle area for Remember, while waiting for it to start (not during but while waiting). Seriously, you cannot sit for 3 hours with your legs falling asleep, not to mention other body parts, so I stand and stretch. "Remember" hasn't started yet..... but let me tell you... people give you the stare of death (you would think that what I was doing deserved the electric chair!) I can feel the anger building up in them... some have even gone as far as saying (loud enough for me to hear) we need a cast member to come tell her to sit down. :p LOL

The announcements haven't been made and people are already complaining. :eek: I'm stretching people, promise... I like to sit and watch too!

Mickey
09-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Hey, wait don't get me wrong DISNEYNERD, Im not complaining about young kids or babies at Disneyland, and obviously Im not writing anything negative about infants,
It's juts that parents sometimes don't care on holding there kids up high when actually toddlers are scared and people behind cannot see.
And sometimes it is too cold to be with infants after dark in the park. Many people don't care and just put one blanket in the stroller, or they have infants without socks. (You know they can get sick and all that)
As you can see I worry about little ones and Im sure that you Disneynerd take good care of them.
Lets hope others do the same ... and we can all go on Mr.Toads Wild Ride :)

experiment626
09-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Unless you are in the area directly infront of the castle then I se no problem with standing. I have never sat for fireworks at Disneyland.

Mickey
09-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Im actually with the STANDING GROUP...you have a much panoramic view of all thats happening around you in the show..Its much better!

Ladies and Gentlemen ,Boys and Girls in just a few minutes Disneyland will celebrate 50 years with Rememeber Dreams Come True presented by Honda, so we ask you to STAND UP if you are by the Walt Disney statue and if want to have a great view of the show, Damas y Caballeros niņos y niņas en unos cuantos minutos.....etc etc

kinglouie1967
09-06-2005, 03:12 PM
<-- Stander.

smjoseph
09-07-2005, 04:02 AM
Stand. Sitters tend to spread out and take up a lot of room that could be used to allow other people to view. I actually never considered this at all, until my last trip when I was shocked to hear people yelling for others to sit down.

Sebastian
09-07-2005, 12:48 PM
We went to DL in June and we took a 6,5 and 2 year old. We sat down in front of the castle and waited for a while when the show started we were behind the only people standing in the whole hub. This made us mad as we had young children that could not see the show and one of the standers admitted to being a cast member who had viewed the show many times. This is very rude !!!! If everyone stands the little children cannot see anything which causes them to whine and complain but if everyone sits even the little ones can enjoy the show.