PDA

View Full Version : NoCal to SoCal Airfare

MermaidHair
09-04-2005, 10:23 PM
All you Northern Californians out there - can you help? I am looking to start making reservations for our March trip to DLR and I am wondering what a "good" airfare is. I am hoping to fly from Oakland to Orange County and will be buying 4 tickets. I think it may still be too early to buy tickets on some airlines but I want to know what I should be looking for.

Thanks!

Whittibo
09-05-2005, 05:51 AM
We have always driven. It's only about 7.5 hours, it's cheaper, and you have a vehicle while you're there.

My sister in law demanded she wanted to fly down for her first trip, and she had to leave VERY early in the morning, (like 3am I think), to get to the airport to wait around for their flight. From the time they left their house, till they stepped foot into the hotel, it took them 7 hours. From there, they had no transportation. She walked to the grocery store (she didn't know where one was, she just walked), once she got there, she realized it was too far to walk back, so she had to get a taxi. Needless to say, they have driven every year since then. ;)

Even with gas being so high, it's still cheaper for us to drive. It will cost us about $150 in gas (instead of $60 that it has cost in the past).

I did fly down to L.A.X. last year to go on a cruise with some friends. I just looked it up, and my flight from Sacramento to L.A.X. was $218 total. But that was also a year ago.

DisneylandForever
09-05-2005, 06:12 AM
From OAK to SNA, anything around 100 is considered cheap. I've paid up to 150 in the past. Definitely check Southwest, and then check Orbitz. If you find a cheap flight on Orbitz (like on Alaska or something), go directly to the Airline's website to book it, since Orbitz tacks on a fee. Alaska and American usually have good deals, but the return flights are always too early (in the day) for me. I usually go with Southwest.

Good luck!

tlovesdis
09-05-2005, 06:29 AM
We fly Oakland to Long Beach on Jet Blue and pay $96 total round trip ($39 each way plus taxes). We love the LB airport! It is small and not busy at all! I checked on mapquest once the milage and SNA is 14 miles to the DLR and LB is 18 so it's not much farther at all and we find it totally convienient!

nvmom
09-05-2005, 07:29 AM
I live in N. Nevada... so not to far from N. California. Check out Aloha Airlines. They fly into SNA. We got tickets for $100 roundtrip from Reno to SNA last March.

nvmom

DianeM
09-05-2005, 07:35 AM
We're driving this trip, but when I need to fly I generally start checking fares several months before the trip, to get a good idea of what the current rates are. It's suprising how much fares vary from week to week, or even month to month. After you've been looking a month or so, you'll get a pretty good idea of what the current rates are like, and when you see a good deal you can grab it.

I like Expedia for travel. They have good rates, and good customer service (I had to change a package deal once, and they were wonderful), and you can book car rental or shuttles from the airport when you book your flight.

All you Northern Californians out there - can you help? I am looking to start making reservations for our March trip to DLR and I am wondering what a "good" airfare is. I am hoping to fly from Oakland to Orange County and will be buying 4 tickets. I think it may still be too early to buy tickets on some airlines but I want to know what I should be looking for.

Thanks!

sierranevada
09-05-2005, 07:36 AM
We fly out of OAK also. I always check SWA into SNA, Jetblue into LBG or Alaska into SNA. As another poster said, I consider anything around $100 a good fair. I have found that SWA rarely discounts flights into SNA but does into Ontario which is a great airport but further away (takes 45 - 60 minutes depending on traffic). We book Jetblue into LBG for our Nov trip at $106 a few weeks ago - of course, all the fares have increased recently due to oil prices so just keep checking.

yeartolate
09-05-2005, 08:05 AM
We fly Oakland to Long Beach on Jet Blue and pay $96 total round trip ($39 each way plus taxes). We love the LB airport! It is small and not busy at all! I checked on mapquest once the milage and SNA is 14 miles to the DLR and LB is 18 so it's not much farther at all and we find it totally convienient!

We do this as well!

Susan L
09-05-2005, 08:32 AM

Thanks!

Sorry, I can't help you, we always fly out of Reno or drive. Have a great time planning though :D

MermaidHair
09-05-2005, 08:53 AM
thanks for all the info. Planning this trip sure seems to be half the fun. Especially with all the info/advice/fun tidbits gleaned from this site! :D

For those of you who fly into Long Beach, how do you get to Anaheim? We will only be going for 3 nights and do not plan to need/rent a car. I recently learned from these boards that a taxi to the resort from SNA is only about $30. Any idea how much it would be from Long Beach? Also on that front, do I bring car seats for the kids just for the taxi ride to and from the airport? That seems like a pain but really the only option. . .right?

yeartolate
09-05-2005, 09:07 AM
We have to fly the next time (we usually drive) and I just decided that if I can get a compact for less than $15 bucks, we will do that. Rental from Long Beach is way easy. Get off plane....walk around the small building for baggage, Walk 1oo yards more for your rental car.....off plane to in rental car - under 20 minutes !!!!

Long Beach Airport is the best!!!!! Easy in, easy out!!!

MermaidHair
09-05-2005, 09:14 AM
Yeartolate - what are you late for?

yeartolate
09-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Never late - pathetically boringly on time everywhere.

Username pays homage to a real old little known levi's commercial.

MermaidHair
09-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Gotcha Travis ;)

erica84
09-05-2005, 12:25 PM

Thanks!

My Mom and I are flying out of Sacramento to the Ontario airport for $100 each, roundtrip (plus taxes) through Southwest. This fare is only available to purchase online and you must purchase by September 8th. I know that your trip is still a months away, but I'm sure they'll have lots of other specials in the months to come - just keep checking their website. Good luck and have a great trip!!

yeartolate
09-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Gotcha Travis ;)

OH MY GOD! SOMEONE KNOWS THE COMMERCIAL!!!! You must be really old. :~D

tlovesdis
09-05-2005, 01:17 PM
thanks for all the info. Planning this trip sure seems to be half the fun. Especially with all the info/advice/fun tidbits gleaned from this site! :D

For those of you who fly into Long Beach, how do you get to Anaheim? We will only be going for 3 nights and do not plan to need/rent a car. I recently learned from these boards that a taxi to the resort from SNA is only about $30. Any idea how much it would be from Long Beach? Also on that front, do I bring car seats for the kids just for the taxi ride to and from the airport? That seems like a pain but really the only option. . .right?

We take a limo since there are 7 of us and it's only $100 each way! We splurge! A taxi from LB to the resort is about $35!

sierranevada
09-05-2005, 01:37 PM

I called the cab company and was told it is a flat $33 rate from LBG to DLR.

Whittibo
09-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Also on that front, do I bring car seats for the kids just for the taxi ride to and from the airport? That seems like a pain but really the only option. . .right?

If they legally have to be in car seats, then yes, I think that's your only option. That's another reason we drive, there's too much junk with a family of 5, to haul around and try to get on the plane!

With only 3 days, I can see why you're flying.. otherwise you would waste 2 days on the drive there and back. I just think flying is overrated?? By the time you add in all the airfare, taxi's, and the fact you have to lug around 100 lbs of 'stuff', it might be worth it to take an extra day off and drive?

With that said, I flew Southwest last year (it was just me, no family), they were by far the cheapest rate I could find, and VERY accommodating!

MermaidHair
09-06-2005, 07:25 AM
I called the cab company and was told it is a flat $33 rate from LBG to DLR.

Thanks! I probably could have done that too but I appreciate you doing it!

Whittibo - your advice on driving is great but with days off of work and the timing off our trip I don't think it will work this time. We are timing the trip to fall in between DD's 5th b-day (Thursday of our Wed - sat trip) and her cousin's birthday (Sunday). Good luck I am thinking about this all in advance! ;)

jrsharp21
09-06-2005, 07:44 AM
Got tickets from Sacramento to Ontario yesterday for $40 each way.