PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones Adventure-Track Question

Pages : [1] 2

Vegitabeta
09-04-2005, 10:14 AM
I found the original thread on this which was posted by sd quite a while ago, but the diagram has gone.

I was wondering about the doors at the beginning of Indy-how you can go through different ones. I was really confused, but now I've read how it works and kind of understand it. However, I would like to see that diagram, so if anyone has it, could they post it please? It is quite interesting.

Sorry if you're not sure what I'm talking about! Maybe a clever person can elaborate for me! :~D

matt5172
09-04-2005, 10:47 AM
I found the original thread on this which was posted by sd quite a while ago, but the diagram has gone.

I was wondering about the doors at the beginning of Indy-how you can go through different ones. I was really confused, but now I've read how it works and kind of understand it. However, I would like to see that diagram, so if anyone has it, could they post it please? It is quite interesting.

Sorry if you're not sure what I'm talking about! Maybe a clever person can elaborate for me! :~D

If you're on the ride, you can see how it works. You'll notice there's only one track on the ground in the room with the three doors and there's no way for the track to rotate or move, it's actually the walls and the ceiling that rotate the doors into place over the track. Hope that helps, I don't have a diagram.

Jeremiah
09-04-2005, 11:03 AM
The wall and the doors all move. There is only one track but on the floor are fake tracks. The car ahead of you goes through the door then the lights in the door chamber go dark and the wall moves. You enter the same chamber with Mara no matter what door you go in they just change the lighting and effect in the room.

J

olegc
09-04-2005, 07:55 PM
This is also well documented in David Koenig's Mousetales or more Mousetales book (forgot which one)>.

disneyland addict13
09-04-2005, 08:07 PM
When I was in Disneyland in late July, something must not have been working because we must have gone on Indiana Jones at least 15 times and EVERY time we went through the middle door, they were differently themed chambers (Treasure, Future Sight, and Youth), but we always went through the middle door to get there.

DisneyDustin22
09-04-2005, 08:33 PM
When I was in Disneyland in late July, something must not have been working because we must have gone on Indiana Jones at least 15 times and EVERY time we went through the middle door, they were differently themed chambers (Treasure, Future Sight, and Youth), but we always went through the middle door to get there.

There may not have been anything wrong. The whole attraction is programmed to issue hundreds of thousands of different experiences to the ride vehicles. It may have been luck that the middle door was selected for that car each time you rode. Next time you are on the attraction, especially if you are in the last row, look back and listen carefully just after you pass through the doors. You will see the doors move and the chain pulling the walls for the next car. Before you enter the doors, if you look carefully between the cracks from the doors to the walls, you will see the car ahead of you making the left turn out of the chamber.

matt5172
09-04-2005, 08:37 PM

??? You sure? I've been on it hundreds of times, Left is always Future sight, Middle Glittering Gold, and Right Eternal Youth

DisneyDustin22
09-04-2005, 08:43 PM
??? You sure? I've been on it hundreds of times, Left is always Future sight, Middle Glittering Gold, and Right Eternal Youth

There is only one room. It looks different by using a combination of lighting effects on what are called scrimms. A scrimm is basically like a screen off of your screen door. You can see through it almost 80%. You can paint images on it and when it is lit a certain way, it will appear to be almost a solid piece you cannot see through, illuminating the structure. Next time you ride it, look closely at the walls, you can see all of the different images on the scrims as you pass them that are not lit for that particular room.

matt5172
09-04-2005, 08:56 PM
There is only one room. It looks different by using a combination of lighting effects on what are called scrimms. A scrimm is basically like a screen off of your screen door. You can see through it almost 80%. You can paint images on it and when it is lit a certain way, it will appear to be almost a solid piece you cannot see through, illuminating the structure. Next time you ride it, look closely at the walls, you can see all of the different images on the scrims as you pass them that are not lit for that particular room.
That's what I said in my first post, I was referring to the doors in the room. If it rotates the left door over the track it's future sight, middle riches, and right youth. The lights arn't actually scrims, they're dichroic(not sure if its spelled right) lights, they use titanium dioxide and silicon dioxide somehow to change the wavelengths of the light to make them change color. I know this cause my dad was an imagineer before Indiana Jones was opened.

DisneyDustin22
09-04-2005, 09:24 PM
That's what I said in my first post, I was referring to the doors in the room. If it rotates the left door over the track it's future sight, middle riches, and right youth. The lights arn't actually scrims, they're dichroic(not sure if its spelled right) lights, they use titanium dioxide and silicon dioxide somehow to change the wavelengths of the light to make them change color. I know this cause my dad was an imagineer before Indiana Jones was opened.

I know the lights arent scrims. I am saying the physical pieces that the scenery is painted on. They are on both sides of the room as you pass through. The lights have nothing to do with the scrims besides illuminating the images on them. I know this because I have been in that room when the ride had gone down and the work lights came on and because I have a background in that particular field as well.

matt5172
09-04-2005, 09:31 PM
I know the lights arent scrims. I am saying the physical pieces that the scenery is painted on. They are on both sides of the room as you pass through. The lights have nothing to do with the scrims besides illuminating the images on them. I know this because I have been in that room when the ride had gone down and the work lights came on and because I have a background in that particular field as well.

Ah ok my bad, just misread it. What kind of stuff do you do? Do you work for disney? Just curious. My dad didn't do much for this particular ride although he did advise against a few things, such as falling rocks(which they used anyways and it gave them problems so they took them out).

DisneyDustin22
09-04-2005, 09:38 PM
Ah ok my bad, just misread it. What kind of stuff do you do? Do you work for disney? Just curious. My dad didn't do much for this particular ride although he did advise against a few things, such as falling rocks(which they used anyways and it gave them problems so they took them out).

I have a degree in filmmaking and have used this similar effect for some "haunted house" type visuals for film. Similar to effects in the haunted mansion actually. The scrims work best in low light scenarios, such as Indy. On film for example, you can have actors standing right beside the scrim and it is not seen. When you flash it from a certain angle the image will be illuminated as if it were floating in air. There is an effect almost exactly like this in HM, near the end of the graveyard scene, there is a small tomb building and the doom buggies turn so you face it, inside there is a sheeted ghost that appears to be floating in a mist. This image is projected on a sheet which you can see moving if you look close enough. But I have used this effect with a scrim hanging between two people and the cool effect is you can see through the scrim, thus seeing the person on the other side, giving the effect some depth.

There is another use of this in Indy that fails miserably. After the snake room the car goes downhill and makes a left turn behind the skull. Above you to the left there is a zombie type creature that is illuminated through a giant scrim. However, this room is brightly lit and you can see the scrim along with the creature before it is illuminated.

dehnehsu
09-04-2005, 09:42 PM
For those who are interested, Here is the Blueprint track Layout for the Indiana Jones Ride. (You can see at "B" there are 5 false door fronts and only 1 track!)

http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/images/trkindy2.gif

matt5172
09-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Ya, the one in Indiana Jones does kinda suck. I havn't seen the one in Haunted Mansion, I'll be sure to look for it tomorrow. Do you ever use pepper's ghost effect(the effect for the ballroom scene of HM)? Probably doesn't work to well on film, my dad used it for some live shows. We also used it for our Haunted House on halloween, the people on our street were amazed.

BenG
09-04-2005, 10:15 PM

I was in July too and the doors weren't working. I was so disappointed, I wanted to watch that effect so much.

Vegitabeta
09-05-2005, 03:53 AM
For those who are interested, Here is the Blueprint track Layout for the Indiana Jones Ride. (You can see at "B" there are 5 false door fronts and only 1 track!)

http://www.scottware.com.au/theme/images/trkindy2.gif

That's exactly what I was asking for! Thanks for that :) .

I have another question though, and it's not as technical as some of the stuff being raised in this thread! What is the point in the different doors? If you only rode the ride once, you would not know that you can go through different doors etc. Why would someone take the time to design something that most people won't even notice? Even people who do ride it more than once (for example my dad) may not notice that you are going through a different door. I know that it has been mentioned that there are different lighting effects and stuff, but to be honest, I've never noticed that. I was just wondering why someone went to the bother of making all the doors rotate and stuff, when they could just have a straightforward ride?

By the way, do they have the same deal with the doors and stuff in Dinosaur at AK?

Sandiegoboy
09-05-2005, 06:22 AM
That's exactly what I was asking for! Thanks for that :) .

I have another question though, and it's not as technical as some of the stuff being raised in this thread! What is the point in the different doors? If you only rode the ride once, you would not know that you can go through different doors etc. Why would someone take the time to design something that most people won't even notice? Even people who do ride it more than once (for example my dad) may not notice that you are going through a different door. I know that it has been mentioned that there are different lighting effects and stuff, but to be honest, I've never noticed that. I was just wondering why someone went to the bother of making all the doors rotate and stuff, when they could just have a straightforward ride?

By the way, do they have the same deal with the doors and stuff in Dinosaur at AK?

Well when the ride first came out you would be forced to stand in the que forever and have to watch the video.. I think it may have mentioned something?
You also got those decoder cards, I dont know if the walls ever said anything though, I cant remember.
I somehow always wanted to go througha certian door, ever since the ride opened. I was pretty young then so I must have figured it out somehow.

Vegitabeta
09-05-2005, 06:25 AM
Well when the ride first came out you would be forced to stand in the que forever and have to watch the video.. I think it may have mentioned something?
You also got those decoder cards, I dont know if the walls ever said anything though, I cant remember.

What's a decoder card?

DisneyDustin22
09-05-2005, 07:02 AM
What's a decoder card?

There are a bunch of messages written all over the walls of the queue in symbols. When the attraction first opened, you were given a decoder card when you entered, similar to the cards autopia gave out. Simple pieces of hardstock with all the symbols and the corresponding letters of the alphabet on them. You could decode the messages while you waited in line.

jon80flt
09-05-2005, 07:58 AM
...I have another question though, and it's not as technical as some of the stuff being raised in this thread! What is the point in the different doors? If you only rode the ride once, you would not know that you can go through different doors etc. Why would someone take the time to design something that most people won't even notice?

it is this level of detail that sets Disneyland apart from all the other amusement parks.... even DCA! This is why Imagineers did what they did, back then.... the did it for the love of the show... not to see how cheaply they could make it!

Vegitabeta
09-05-2005, 08:38 AM
There are a bunch of messages written all over the walls of the queue in symbols. When the attraction first opened, you were given a decoder card when you entered, similar to the cards autopia gave out. Simple pieces of hardstock with all the symbols and the corresponding letters of the alphabet on them. You could decode the messages while you waited in line.

Thay should still have that!

DisneyDustin22
09-05-2005, 08:54 AM
Thay should still have that!

Those things are worth gold on ebay! I believe I still have one in storage somewhere.

Colin
09-05-2005, 10:32 AM
I am confused?!?!? There is more than one track?!?!?

Hmm?

C°o°lin

DisneyDustin22
09-05-2005, 10:42 AM
I am confused?!?!? There is more than one track?!?!?

Hmm?

C°o°lin

There is only 1 track for the entire ride. At the beginning of the ride, an illusion is created for each car to make it seem like you can go through any of the doors. One ride may take you through the center door, while your next ride may take you through the far right side door. In reality, you are always going through the same place, it just appears different from the outside.

potzbie
09-05-2005, 11:22 AM

The decoder cards were plugging the company AT&T.
At that time, the telephone companies were aggressively advertising for long-distance services.
For those few walls which I decoded back then, the theme was "Choose wisely."
Same theme as the opening of the Indiana Jones jeep ascent, no?
The idea for AT&T was "Choose your LONG DISTANCE CARRIER wisely; don't go with MCI or SPRINT."
But of course the walls only mentioned "savings" and "service" and did not mention competetors.
The language was very generic, and meant to subtlely suggest that AT&T is a "wise choice" -- like not looking into the Eye of Mara?