PDA

View Full Version : Advertising Question

disneylandlive
02-23-2002, 10:48 PM
I was wondering if there is a list somewhere of all the magazines that Disney places resort advertisments in. So far I have only seen them in Via.

Nigel2
02-23-2002, 10:52 PM
Ok that is a very unusual request, might I ask why you want to know that?

disneynut
02-23-2002, 10:56 PM
I've seen DLR ads in the Disney magazine. :D

disneylandlive
02-23-2002, 10:59 PM
I'm interested in the differences between the advertising of DL versus WDW and also want to see what types of magazines they are (family, travel, sports), what demographics are they trying to intrest.

Nigel2
02-23-2002, 11:00 PM
Yes, but we are noted a whole lot less than WDW and the other parks, which irritates me. But then you have to factor in the fact that we are unable to handle all the stuff they have at the other parks, like the Food and wine fest, the garden fest...(which we sorely deserve, but are passed over since WDW draws more bodies in).

Nigel2
02-23-2002, 11:02 PM
Hmmm odd I was typing that before I saw what he typed. It would be easy to say familes with younger childern (lots of kids stay free ads and so forth when it comes to local off site hotels). They are trying to get teens a little bit, but mainly famlies.

disneynut
02-23-2002, 11:04 PM
Another way to test what demographics they are marketing to is by looking at their TV ads. How many dl vs. wdw ads do you see? (Tons). Are they showing families in the ads? What time of the day are the ads running? During which shows and on what channels?

My husband just had to write a huge paper on computer ads and who they market computer magazines towards. These are some of the questions that he was asked.

Nigel2
02-23-2002, 11:08 PM
Well I noticed in their video ad they had a mid aged (lame) dancing postman (like he would be happy to deliver mail in the rain:rolleyes: ) delivering the videos and only little kids were shows reciving the vids.

Techie7
02-23-2002, 11:09 PM
Not too much on the website. Let me know if you find an easy way to do this. It would be interesting. Only thing similar that I could think of was looking to see the different people who linked to the Disney websites. SCARY. Anyways I have seen the advertising mostly in travel books and the Disney Magazine.

Matterhorn Fan
02-24-2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by disneynut
Another way to test what demographics they are marketing to is by looking at their TV ads. How many dl vs. wdw ads do you see? (Tons). Are they showing families in the ads? What time of the day are the ads running? During which shows and on what channels?Yes, but which ads, and how many, is also going to depend on where you live. On the East coast, we NEVER see DL commercials (with the exception of maybe one DCA ad that they show, but only during Wonderful World of Disney--and last time I saw one, they were still using the old ad with Buzz & friends looking over DL's berm).

We get more WDW commercials out here--and not just the one with the dancing mailman. Most of them are family oriented, but seem to target the kids. There is one that is aimed at adults (the "you can have fun here without your kids" type of advertisement).

Disney also has ads in the AAA guide books.

02-24-2002, 04:22 PM
I have seen WDW ads in the American Automobile Association's magazine (Midwest) - the one they send to all members.

I have also seen lots of WDW t.v. commercials.

In the print ads, they're looking at families with younger kids.

In the television spots, they're going for grandmas and grandpas.

JoeCanadian
02-24-2002, 05:45 PM
There is advertising for the Disneyland Resort as a whole and for just DCA everywhere here in Vancouver. Just about every week in our Sunday Vancouver Province (a daily rag-type newspaper with a huge subscription base) Disney will place a one page ad in the travel section. The latest has been a promo for 5 days for the price of 3.

Believe it or not there are also at least 3 or 5 public transit buses completely redone to promote DCA.

The latest ads haven't been for DLR though. Instead, for the Disney Cruise Line.