PDA

View Full Version : Will the Monorail be closed in the spring?

babytmakes5
08-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Another question for anyone who might know: we are considering staying at the Disneyland Hotel again, but I don't want to stay there if the Monorail will be closed for refurbishment--the walk every night the whole way to DLH would be harrowing with three little ones...If it will be closed we will consider staying at the BW Park Place Inn. I would prefer to stay at a nicer hotel, but not if I will have to lug the kids across DTD....Thanks once again!

Trina :)

Andrew
08-31-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't know the Monorail's refurb schedule, but I wouldn't call the walk through DtD to the DLH "harrowing". The distance from the Esplanade is about the same to hotels on Harbor.

Darkbeer
08-31-2005, 05:32 PM
The last I heard, the Monorail will go down for about 18 months starting Mid-January, 2006 for the Finding Nemo Sub Project, plus Monorail work.

Of course, everything is subject to change at Disney, but I wouldn't expect to see the Monorail running past the first week of January.

The unknown part of the equation is IF Disney will bring back Hotel Shuttles from the Main Entry Plaza during the Monorail work...... My guess, the Downtown Disney tenants will win, and no shuttles will be offered.... But my personal choice would be for Shuttles to be offered. Alas, it would be expensive for Disney, since the only real route would be from the Lion King Tram area down Harbor, then on Katella to Disneyland Drive, and then to the three hotels. This would require "real" busses that are approved for street use, unlike the private use trams (no license plate) that are used in the parking areas.

Only time will tell....

Whittibo
08-31-2005, 05:35 PM
I found the monorail an inconvenience. It drops you off WAY on the other side of the park, unless you want to BE there, then you have to walk anyway. You still have to wait for the "ride", you still have to fold up your stroller. I prefer staying off site and getting a MUCH bigger room and taking the shuttle.

With 3 kids.. you should look into the Residence Inn Garden Grove (I sound like a commercial, but I can't say enough about this hotel, it's like "home") look at the Kids suite. Not sure what your kids' ages are, but they have huge buffet breakfasts every morning, and a 2 room suite with full kitchen and 2 bathrooms. It was very comfy!