PDA

View Full Version : Gates & FastPass Machines..

Pat-n-Eil
08-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Can a castmember tell me whether the Gate is reading the Bar Code or the Magnetic Strip on the passport?

How about the FastPass machines - the magnetic strip or (as I suspect) the Bar Code?

Thanks

Osky
08-31-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm not a cast member, but I believe the gates can do both. Sometimes they scan mine with the scanner, and sometimes they feed it through the machine. I believe the machine reads the mag stripe. In addition, I have seen the inside of the fast pass machine on several occasions. I believe they all use the bar code.

Osky
08-31-2005, 10:21 AM
In fact, I am 100% certain the FP machines use the bar code, because one on trip, they stamped my dad's ticket with the date, and they stamped right over the barcode. It didn't work in any of the FP machines until I took a damp rag and rubbed the stamp ink off.

Darkbeer
08-31-2005, 01:30 PM
I can confirm that the FP machines use the Bar Code.

The turnstiles could use either, they can run it thru the reading device (aka slot), that uses the magnetic strip, or they can scan it over on the side using the bar code, using a standard laser light scanner, next to the input screen. Also, as a last result, the CM at the turnstile can manually type in the number thru the input keypad.

The Taste Pilot Grill self service machines use the Magnetic Strip to give AP's and CM's their discount.

Basically all the Magnetic strip has is the Ticket number, along with some basic identification codes (That it is a Disneyland ticket).

As I understand, the WDW FP machines use the Magnetic Strip, which might cause some confusion.

CrazyTrain
09-01-2005, 08:35 AM
Is there a reason, advantage/disadvantage to scanning the ticket vs. putting it through the machine? I've always wondered why they sometimes do one vs. the other.

Darkbeer
09-01-2005, 09:09 AM
The fastest and most effecient way is to just place the ticket thru the reader, one thing it does is place a small hole for each day of use (and the hole does move for each day). The hole was supposed to be the only mark, but the guests didn't understand, and miscounted how many days are left, etc... so they went back to the date stamp as a back-up, and a guide to the guest to show how many days have been used.

But the computer doesn't care what way the ticket number is entered into the system.

Pat-n-Eil
09-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Ok.. so this might be another ethical problem for some but...

Say I was a AAA Enhanced FastPass holder...and...

Say I had 4 parkhopper tickets, and I copied the back of them onto a card similar in size to my parkhopper passport and gave a set of them to my son..

Couldn't he run to Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain and BTMRR for FastPasses while I got them for Space, Buzz & Star Tours (if in operation).. Then meet back at the hub?

In my mind, if the barcode is the FastPass key - this would be a way to get them sooner.. and enjoy shopping, eating and touring the park without spending the first hour getting the FastPasses we want. Heck, why not make copies of the passports for son, wife & daughter and we'd all just pick an attraction to go get a FP for and meet back in the middle..

Or perhaps it works even better in DCA.. One goes to ToT, One to Screamin and One to Soarin.. then meet back at the wharf..

DisneyDustin22
09-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Ok.. so this might be another ethical problem for some but...

Say I was a AAA Enhanced FastPass holder...and...

Say I had 4 parkhopper tickets, and I copied the back of them onto a card similar in size to my parkhopper passport and gave a set of them to my son..

Couldn't he run to Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain and BTMRR for FastPasses while I got them for Space, Buzz & Star Tours (if in operation).. Then meet back at the hub?

In my mind, if the barcode is the FastPass key - this would be a way to get them sooner.. and enjoy shopping, eating and touring the park without spending the first hour getting the FastPasses we want. Heck, why not make copies of the passports for son, wife & daughter and we'd all just pick an attraction to go get a FP for and meet back in the middle..

Or perhaps it works even better in DCA.. One goes to ToT, One to Screamin and One to Soarin.. then meet back at the wharf..

All is good, until a machine gives you problems and a kind CM steps in to assist and they find the copied tickets. Now what? Probably not a positive ending to that story.

TowerofTerror
09-01-2005, 11:28 AM
great plan but don't think it will work very well