PDA

View Full Version : How long to go alone?

ozbeauticn
08-30-2005, 02:23 PM
My boyfriend and I are going down to DL for the Halloween party on Oct. 22nd. Because I am done with class on Wednesday night and he isn't done with work until Friday evening, we decided that I would drive down alone on Thursday and he would fly down Friday (hopefully getting out of work early). This way we would both be there by earlyish on Friday, but I could bring down the luggage and our lunch food and stuff. But now, because it was cheaper, his flight doesn't even come in until almost 9pm Friday night. I'm not sure if I can spend two whole days at DL by myself. I am not a very independent person and have always been around people. I also am not the kind of girl to just randomly talk to people around me. SO, should i wait and drive down Friday morning?(saving $50 for that hotel night) Or do I just go and realize I'll have a great time? What would you do?

On the plus side I got my Tinkerbell costume and have almost convinced my boyfriend to be Peter Pan!

DisneyDustin22
08-30-2005, 02:30 PM
My advice, if you really need to save the money then wait to come down Friday. On the other hand, being at the resort alone can have its perks. You have a chance to do things you can't always do when you go with a group. Go shopping or catch a live show, or just walk around and marvel at the place. If I were you I would go. You never know, it may turn our you needed some relaxing time alone at the happiest place on earth. ;)

Niwel
08-30-2005, 02:32 PM
I'd go solo: http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/tp040713sl.htm
I know you'll be fine. There is something very empowering about going alone to the park. :)

Gone2Disneyland
08-30-2005, 02:56 PM
I am not a very independent person and have always been around people. I also am not the kind of girl to just randomly talk to people around me. SO, should i wait and drive down Friday morning?(saving $50 for that hotel night) Or do I just go and realize I'll have a great time? What would you do?

Here's one way to look at it. Have you ever gone to the movies by yourself? If so, then think of going solo to Disneyland has one huge virtual movie. Plus, you get to do some recon before your boyfriend shows up (we need to do this first, I found something new you need to check out...).

I go solo lots of times, the big advantage there being I can slip thru crowds with relative ease. ;)

Have fun on your visit.

Disney4Me
08-30-2005, 03:05 PM
On the plus side I got my Tinkerbell costume and have almost convinced my boyfriend to be Peter Pan!

If you are brave enough to drive, wear a Tinkerbell costume and post on this board and like to be around people....you have it made. When you smile, people smile back and a conversation may start. Enjoy some of the rides your boyfriend may not. Relax, read a book...I can't remember what it is like to go anywhere alone. :fez: Have fun!

Wounded Bear
08-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Yes, definitely go by yourself, I would jump at the chance to go alone just once. I know it would be a "Whole new world". I could just take my time and stroll past things at my own pace, and not in such a hurry like when I go with others. Ya know?

Whittibo
08-30-2005, 04:31 PM
If you are brave enough to drive, wear a Tinkerbell costume ....you have it made.

I couldn't agree more! Gosh, I can't even fathom driving myself, and wouldn't be caught dead in a Tinkerbell costume (not because I don't love Tink, but because I would look like an idiot!) If you have enough personality to wear ANY costume, you'll be JUST FINE! :D

ozbeauticn
08-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Ok.. you talked me into it! I love Disneyland so much, I don't know why I thought about NOT going...

And I'm wearing the Tinkerbell costume(I may look dumb too, who knows) at a Disneyland function WITH my boyfriend, so I won't feel too out of place I hope! I'm not THAT brave... :rolleyes:

I better start planning next weeks trip before I get too into the October trip.. Thanks a lot!

TowerofTerror
08-30-2005, 09:27 PM
go alone and if you like meet up wqith some poeople during the time until your boyfriend get there on friday night

coronado_g
08-30-2005, 10:21 PM
Try it. You might like going alone - but you'll never know until you experience it. As for myself, I absolutely love going solo and always have a total blast because I can do what I want, when I want and don't have to go thru a majority decision. By going solo, you are the majority vote.

disneyjunkie
08-31-2005, 01:00 AM
Lol does going with an 11 month old count as " alone ", my daughter went tonight with her son, her fiance is out of town on business and being they are ap's she was bored and thought ok I will take the baby to D'land. She had a great time Churros, carousel, ghepettos for dinner, dumbo , small world and shopping. But like I told her she really isnt alone and wont be for the next 18 plus years.

Doug
08-31-2005, 06:28 AM
I went alone once... it's depressing.... being around so many people makes you feel more alone, than being totally alone, and since it's suppose to be the happiest place on earth, it really makes it depressing ... I did think about taking pictures of the pictures they take of you on the ride, like Screamin', and draw a circle around the emtpy seat and say "Where's Jason?" (Jason is my friend who I go most often with, he could not go that day, I have business in Irvine that day, so I stopped off at DLR for a little while)..... Just to make him feel bad for not going :)

I guess you have to have a twisted, er, "certain" persnality type to go alone.... I have thought about going alone just to take pictures, you know, for the Christmas, since it is so nice at that time of the year... we'll see... But just like allot of things in like, DLR should be shared .... would be nice to have another DLR buddy, perhaps a female one ;) hehe

SummerinFL
08-31-2005, 06:44 AM
I went alone once... it's depressing.... being around so many people makes you feel more alone, than being totally alone, and since it's suppose to be the happiest place on earth, it really makes it depressing ... I did think about taking pictures of the pictures they take of you on the ride, like Screamin', and draw a circle around the emtpy seat and say "Where's Jason?" (Jason is my friend who I go most often with, he could not go that day, I have business in Irvine that day, so I stopped off at DLR for a little while)..... Just to make him feel bad for not going :)

I guess you have to have a twisted, er, "certain" persnality type to go alone.... I have thought about going alone just to take pictures, you know, for the Christmas, since it is so nice at that time of the year... we'll see... But just like allot of things in like, DLR should be shared .... would be nice to have another DLR buddy, perhaps a female one ;) hehe

awww I'm sorry you feel that way. I imagine it does take a lot of courage to go alone but honestly most people are to wrapped up in their own vacation to notice other people. I personally LOVED the one time I was able to go alone, it was great to people watch and take in the sites the way I have always wanted to. To each their own I guess. :)

hlbtimes2
08-31-2005, 08:08 AM
I would love to have a day or two in the parks alone. Of course, I'm a working, married, mother of two small children. The thought of being some place where no one calls me mom or needs helping wiping their bottom sounds like a little bit of heaven! LOL

Mommy2NicknMax
08-31-2005, 08:43 AM
I would love to have a day or two in the parks alone. Of course, I'm a working, married, mother of two small children. The thought of being some place where no one calls me mom or needs helping wiping their bottom sounds like a little bit of heaven! LOL
Oh you should go! I get a trip by myself once a year (this past year twice!) without my husband and kids.

hlbtimes2
08-31-2005, 08:53 AM
I've actually been considering turning my hopper in to an ap while there so I can sneak back for a little short trip some time in the next year. My neice works for an airline, so I might even be able to get her to take me on a buddy pass.

jazzjunkie
08-31-2005, 09:03 AM
I usually go alone to DL (friends and family loathe the place). It's as good as YOU make it. If you fixate on being alone, yes, you will feel depressed. If you think "oooh, I can ride ToT over and over again, or sit at Coke Corner for 2 hours", you'll realise it can be incredibly empowering and relaxing.

It really is only 2 days. You'll be fine.

Disney4Me
08-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Ok.. you talked me into it! I love Disneyland so much, I don't know why I thought about NOT going...

And I'm wearing the Tinkerbell costume(I may look dumb too, who knows) at a Disneyland function WITH my boyfriend, so I won't feel too out of place I hope! I'm not THAT brave... :rolleyes:

I better start planning next weeks trip before I get too into the October trip.. Thanks a lot!

I hope you have a great time! And as far looking dumb wearing the costume...I think it will be very Disneylike and appropriate for the occasion. If I was going to be there a few extra days I would dress up too! I do not think I would fit into Tinkerbell's tights but there are a lot of roomy costumes. :fez:

Pammer
09-01-2005, 11:31 AM
I have 2 trips planned in October...the first is the 15-18, with my best friend Danni, her two pre-teen daughters, her parents, and her sister's family, whose son is turning 4 on the 15th. Everyone else is leaving on Tuesday morning after breakfast, but I'm choosing to stick around and spend about 4 hours by myself in the parks before flying home since I'm the only one with an AP. I'm a little uncertain, but have read Lani's excellent article about going solo and am looking forward to riding my favorite attractions and people-watching that day! ;)

BTW, my second trip is the following week (22-25), which is my annual fall visit to DL with my in-laws. I was sick and missed the spring visit, so I'm really looking forward to being at the parks again!

dlandnut
09-01-2005, 12:01 PM
On our trip in June, there were 12 of us. But we were all old enough to spend quality time together AND quality time alone. The best of both. I have been a few times to DL alone, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also travel a lot in my line of work, so going alone/flying/eating in restaurants is no big deal to me, when traveling solo. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is when I check into a seedy motel (because that's all that is available sometimes due to the remote areas of my travel), and I appear to be the only female in the area.

But, all of that aside, go alone, enjoy and I'm betting you'll be the best Tinkerbelle ever! Have a great time! :)

newportbeachbumz
09-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Lol does going with an 11 month old count as " alone ", my daughter went tonight with her son, her fiance is out of town on business and being they are ap's she was bored and thought ok I will take the baby to D'land. She had a great time Churros, carousel, ghepettos for dinner, dumbo , small world and shopping. But like I told her she really isnt alone and wont be for the next 18 plus years. I used to do that all the time. While my older DD was in school I would take the baby and walk around by myself. When the baby napped I would sit on a bench and read a book or go window shopping. My friends thought I was crazy until they experienced it a few times. If there was anywhere I would consider go alone it would be "the happiest place on earth" ;)