PDA

View Full Version : Disney discontinues another service -- no gift boxes!

Pages : [1] 2

Lanmon
08-28-2005, 04:37 PM
We just returned from 3 wonderful days at Disneyland. We bought several fragile items such as snowglobes, mugs and ornaments and were quite shocked to see the CM's wrapped all items in paper rather than DLR gift boxes!!!! We had to seriously reconsider purchasing these items but decided to purchase and try other stores throughout both parks and Downtwon Disney.

We looked in all shops throughout the entire resort (and I do mean everywhere!) and were told that Disneyland has discontinued this service. This means that all holiday, birthday, wedding, anniversary Disney items will be wrapped in ugly paper and be huge in size.

No reason was given from the cast members other than "Disneyland does not provided this service any more!"

People really enjoy receiving Disney gifts that are boxed in Disney gift boxes. I will not be able to send gifts to family and friends especially some troops overseas this holiday season.

Hopefully people take a few moments to express their dissatisfaction at every DLR store, hotel and Guest Services in hopes of having gift boxes for the holidays. :(

Alex S.
08-28-2005, 06:21 PM
I can understand being upset by this change, but why does a lack of gift boxes mean you can no longer send gifts to family, friends, and troops overseas?

hlbtimes2
08-28-2005, 06:45 PM
We didnt get boxes for our stuff in Dec.2003. They wrapped everything in neat paper that expanded and made excelent padding. Nothing got broke on the trip home.

I'm guessing most of the people that receive gifts are more excited about whats in the package, then where the box came from.

Osky
08-28-2005, 06:46 PM
I thought they only had them at Christmas.

coronado_g
08-28-2005, 08:41 PM
I'm guessing most of the people that receive gifts are more excited about whats in the package, then where the box came from.
Touche'

Lanmon
08-28-2005, 09:24 PM
I can understand being upset by this change, but why does a lack of gift boxes mean you can no longer send gifts to family, friends, and troops overseas?

I have always made it tradition to give gifts in the company's boxes. That is, Disney gifts get Disney boxes. I do not camouflage gifts.

I have always sent Disney gifts because of the wonderful memories Disney brings to people. Disney brings joy and happiness to people. Getting a Disey box increases the joy and happiness.

Lanmon
08-28-2005, 09:28 PM
I thought they only had them at Christmas.

No, Disney use to have gift boxes year-round.

I go to DLR 2-3 times a month and DisneyWolrd at least once a year. I do alot of shopping every time I go and have come home with gift boxes for my gift purchases.

I hope that Disney does have gift boxes at Christmas time.

sancho
08-28-2005, 09:32 PM
i think that alex stroup's question still stands.

Lanmon
08-28-2005, 09:36 PM
We didnt get boxes for our stuff in Dec.2003. They wrapped everything in neat paper that expanded and made excelent padding. Nothing got broke on the trip home.

Having a person unwrap the box to see that the box came from Disney increases the excitement of not only the person receiving the gift but the giver as well.

True, the castmembers do a great job by using alot of padding for transporting the purchases home. However, I would still want a box for my purchases such as a snow globe, fragile picture frame, and fragile ornament, mug, plate, etc.

Disney Village
08-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Having a person unwrap the box to see that the box came from Disney increases the excitement of not only the person receiving the gift but the giver as well.

You have a good point...the packaging is half the fun...its classy and a nice touch, but you still didn't answer the question.

Why can't you still send gifts to your family and friends? Nothing is preventing you from sending the gifts in a standard gift box. The gift is the important part...packaging is just a bonus.

Sounds like you're choosing to not send gifts since there is nothing physically preventing you from sending them without a DLR gift box.

Just curious, that's all...

ILovePoker
08-28-2005, 10:50 PM
I believe you are way to picky. You could easily go and find any ordinary wrapping paper elsewhere. Just because there might not be a Disney logo on the paper isn't going to ruin the gift. Also, if you are sending it to friends, I really doubt they would care about the wrapping paper, I'm sure they would want to see what's beneath it and not what it was wrapped up in.

Lanmon
08-29-2005, 06:46 AM
Please don't misunderstand my feelings. I truly love Disney...and try to share an American experience/tradition with people worldwide.

I send Disney merchandise to our troops every other month to show support. I always had Disney gift boxes and am sad that that part of the "support and giving" tradition is ending. Many troops often express appreciation not only in the merchandise but also with the gift boxes. The boxes often get recycled among friends or saved as a rememberance of a Disney experience.

Disnerd
08-29-2005, 07:55 AM
Do you want boxes or do you want the price of admission to go up to $60?

Osky
08-29-2005, 08:02 AM
Do you want boxes or do you want the price of admission to go up to $60?

That's a moot point because theme park admissions do not pay for items in the merchandise department. A better question would be, Do you want boxes if it means paying 1% more on your merchandise? Many people would choose to pay for a box if they offered it for a fee. They could easily make money at $.50 per box.

hlbtimes2
08-29-2005, 08:05 AM
I really think you are putting to much emphasis on the boxes. While I agree its a nice touch, I really dont see it as a reason to stop buying and giving Disney gifts. Not to mention if you shop there that much and give that many gifts I guessing you have lots of boxes you could recycle. Its good for the enviroment.

CariBelle
08-29-2005, 09:59 AM
I'm sorry, but this post made me laugh, a lot. It's a box people. WHile it is nice to get a free box that looks cool, it's not the reason to buy or not buy a gift.

ima_mickeyfan
08-29-2005, 01:27 PM
this is what you can do to solve your disney box problem,
1) Go to home depot and pick out christmas colors of mickey paint chips
2) find your white or colored box
3) gently peel the mickey head off of the paper
4) apply glue to the back of mickey's head and adhear to the box

There, you can make your own designs by putting the heads where ever you want...

Pat-n-Eil
08-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Does the Disney Store in the mall not have boxes either?

infinite
08-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Sometimes, the box does matter.

Think about a Tiffany & Co. box.

AND a nice box, with a recognizable icon on it is more likely to be recycled then a plain ordinary box.

It is a presentation thing, and I understand. I appreciate the extra touch. I don’t mind it being a paid-service, maybe even a complete gift wrapping service, something with all the details (Disney paper, bows ribbons, etc)! That would be nice! And it would add to the Disney magic!

Rhiannon8404
08-29-2005, 06:57 PM
Sometimes, the box does matter.

Think about a Tiffany & Co. box.

AND a nice box, with a recognizable icon on it is more likely to be recycled then a plain ordinary box.

It is a presentation thing, and I understand. I appreciate the extra touch. I don’t mind it being a paid-service, maybe even a complete gift wrapping service, something with all the details (Disney paper, bows ribbons, etc)! That would be nice! And it would add to the Disney magic!

You know, I didn't really get what the OP was talking about until you mentioned Tiffany's. The blue box tied up with a white bow really means something. It's very exiting to see. You know what the gift is...and yet, you don't. I guess I just never thought of a Disney gift box being the same. It's too bad they have stopped giving them away. Maybe they will make the available for purchase for a dollar or two.

Marox3
08-29-2005, 07:08 PM
I haven't seen gift boxes at DL in years....... I mean years.....

I do know that DisneyDirect has boxes, which I did a few weeks ago.

The precious items I purchased have been wrapped so well, it can be difficult to open. I use the materials to wrap my special christmas ornaments. I wish I could get a roll of the stuff...

TowerofTerror
08-29-2005, 07:09 PM
that not cool but I haven't seen gift boxes in long time either

Disnerd
08-29-2005, 11:50 PM
I've seen enough power point presentations to know that the resort does cover things in all departments by raising the price of admission. Last year store operations shrink was $3.5 million. That loss was covered by the raise in admission. It is easier to get it from the gate that start charging more for items in the store. Guest can see when merchandise is costing way more that stuff in the real world. Gate admission will go up and people will gripe but they will still pay to get in.
There was also an incident were someone was caught trying to bring a weapon in a DL Resort shirt box. So when we switched over to the blue 50th anniversary bags the decission was made not to have boxes. We can't even bring in wrapped gifts during the holidays.

Osky
08-31-2005, 08:06 AM
I've seen enough power point presentations to know that the resort does cover things in all departments by raising the price of admission. Last year store operations shrink was $3.5 million. That loss was covered by the raise in admission.

If this is true, then Disney needs to fire some people. First, there is no reason why the merchandise department should not be making a hefty profit. Now, I don't know the numbers, but I am assuming they did turn a profit. By "shrink," do you mean they came in 3.5 mil under budget or 3.5 mil under last year?

Disnerd
08-31-2005, 10:25 AM
3.5 million is what we lost to mainly shoplifting. Number one stolen item, the $6 name keychains. The stores make a profit, but losses throughout the resort are balanced out by incresses in the admission. As a whole the Disney company balances out loses from poorly performing divisions with the profits made by successful divisions. When ABC was in the dumps their poor profits affected Disneyland's budgets from Burbank. It all goes into the same pot and Burbank doles it out. Just because you made a ton of money doesn't mean you get to spend it.