PDA

View Full Version : Screamin - when will it open again?

weluvdisney
08-28-2005, 03:05 PM
When is California Screamin supposed to open again?

minniemom
08-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Good question!! I was wondering the same thing. I am not thinking it will be open for our up coming trip (4 weeks from today). It seems that when BTMRR had it's accident it was closed for a long time!

ILovePoker
08-28-2005, 03:19 PM
True but Big Thunder Mountain had a fatality. I would guess maybe in a month or two, it should be running again.

squuggy
08-28-2005, 03:19 PM
With my trip upcoming in 45 days (YAY!!!) I too was wondering. Does anybody out there know how long it took BTMRR to reopen after its minor accident last year (not the fatality)? If I remember it was a lot like the Screamin' accident. Perhaps that will give those of us waiting for Screamin' an idea of when we might again enjoy it.

squuggy
08-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Hey, having finally mastered the Search function, here is my answer to my own question (which may shed some light on Screamin' 's reopening). There was a minor accident on BTMRR last year on 7/8/2004 where one train rear-ended another causing several minor injuries. BTMRR reopened seven weeks later on 8/28/2004. So... if we add seven weeks to the date of the Screamin' accident we would get an early October reopening (if I've done my math correctly). Mind you this is mathematical speculation at its worst.

Alex S.
08-28-2005, 03:53 PM
So far as I know, DOSH hasn't yet finished its investigation. Until that is done, no dates will be known.

California Screamin' was scheduled for a lengthy rehab early next year. So, if DOSH has significant requirements it is easy to imagine Dinsey just keeping the ride closed and doing everything at once rather than doing the work to comply, and then take it down again in six month. But until DOSH is done, who knows.

coronado_g
08-28-2005, 08:46 PM
And in the meantime, DCA is turning into a ghost town! Without the major star attraction that Screamin is, why would anyone (other than AP holders) want to go.

DisneyBubbles
08-29-2005, 03:45 PM
And in the meantime, DCA is turning into a ghost town! Without the major star attraction that Screamin is, why would anyone (other than AP holders) want to go.

I dont think Screamin is the main attraction. I would say that Tower of Terror is the main attraction. Screamin is not that great in my opinion anyway. Just another typical roller coaster with no theme like TOT that you can find anywhere from fairs to Six Flaggs.

ILovePoker
08-29-2005, 10:59 PM
I dont think Screamin is the main attraction. I would say that Tower of Terror is the main attraction. Screamin is not that great in my opinion anyway. Just another typical roller coaster with no theme like TOT that you can find anywhere from fairs to Six Flaggs.

Screamin is one of the smoothest coasters I have ever ridden, which is something you wouldn't find at a typical amusement park. Screamin has a California theme.

While Screamin may bring attendance down. I wonder what would happen if they closed Soarin, Screamin, Tower and Grizzly River Run all at the same time... DCA might truly be a ghost town.

animagusurreal
08-30-2005, 12:28 AM

I like DCA, but I do agree with the idea that Disney should have put in more attractions if they wanted it to be a stand alone park, so when one went down there would be enough to pick up the slack. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) they built more shops and less attractions because they thought "shops make money and attractions don't". But that's like building a multiplex with more concession stands than theatres. People who aren't there don't buy snacks or souveneirs.

Nonetheless, if I go while Screamin' is still down, I'll probably still want to go to do Tower, Soarin', GRR, and try Crush.

TowerofTerror
08-30-2005, 01:31 AM
well i say it will open by December in time for the people on winter break

Vegitabeta
08-30-2005, 01:59 AM
At the beginning of the month they were runing the cars round empty, testing it I guess. Not sure when it will open though.

Pat-n-Eil
08-30-2005, 08:25 AM

Agree to a point. We were there and we love DCA. We certainly missed Screamin' - but we still enjoyed DCA. We loved Aladdin - twice. We loved Soarin' multiple times and GRR with my son was a blast. The kids rode Maliboomer a couple of times and my wife and I took in the Golden Dreams.

We all had a great lunch at the Wine Country Trattoria, enjoyed some Soft Serve Ice Cream, shopped, and generally enjoyed the park - which was certainly less crowded than Disneyland, but had more visitors than I remember from previous trips.

My daughter and I took a break on a bench over near the water wheel of the Grizzly River Run and we both agreed, we really enjoy that part of the park. It's calming, soothing, relaxing.. So, why go to DCA? Because we really do enjoy it.. we enjoy it differently than we enjoy Disneyland - but enjoy it nonetheless..

Gymgirl975
08-30-2005, 10:26 AM
I totally agree too. We do enjoy the park, enough to spend at least one day there, as long as we were staying over 4 days. If we were only spending 3 days there, I would hesitate to "waste" it at DCA---even though we do really enjoy it.

Pat-n-Eil
08-30-2005, 10:37 AM
I totally agree too. We do enjoy the park, enough to spend at least one day there, as long as we were staying over 4 days. If we were only spending 3 days there, I would hesitate to "waste" it at DCA---even though we do really enjoy it.

We always have parkhoppers.. and we always visit both parks every day of our visit. We couldn't avoid it if we wanted to since we like the GCH and that is the easiest entrance to use.. :)

Shortiemetoo
08-30-2005, 10:59 AM
I agree that it may bring down attendance somewhat...but the front of the park, with Soarin, TOT and GRR will continue to bring people in!!

Pooh bear
08-30-2005, 01:16 PM

If TOT is the main attraction then why was there only a 15 min wait and a 45 min wait on Screamin when I was there in July? I rode both snd Screamin is WAY better!