PDA

View Full Version : Spelling mistake in Emporium window

Pages : [1] 2

Germboy
08-27-2005, 05:32 PM
Has anyone noticed the spelling error in the display in the Emporium windows? It's on the "open book" located in one of the windows that face the train station.

I guess its probably a common error, but I'm amazed that a company so known for detail could let it slip. I'm also amazed at how you can see erased pencil lines through the lettering...not something worthy of a 50th anniversary tribute.

Nice thought, but very poorly thought-out presentation.

ima_mickeyfan
08-28-2005, 06:14 AM
Has anyone noticed the spelling error in the display in the Emporium windows? It's on the "open book" located in one of the windows that face the train station.

I guess its probably a common error, but I'm amazed that a company so known for detail could let it slip. I'm also amazed at how you can see erased pencil lines through the lettering...not something worthy of a 50th anniversary tribute.

just goes to prove that no one and nothing is ever perfect.

RStar
08-28-2005, 06:36 AM
just goes to prove that no one and nothing is ever perfect.

No, I didn't notice. What's that tell you? (besides the fact that I'm a terrible speller ;) )

The detail is in the fact that people notice and read the writing in the book at all. The fact that there is one small common error is almost of no importance at all in MY book. I don't think it will ruin any one's trip to the park (with the possible exception of English teachers).

newhdplayer
08-28-2005, 07:08 AM

I'm so offended at Disney that they would allow this to happen. I mean, once you enter this world, everything should be perfect, and mistakes are not allowed. That's why I am boycotting until everything is fixed. I can't tolerate it anymore.

Doug
08-28-2005, 07:37 AM
ok, what IS the error?

greenscreenltd
08-28-2005, 08:19 AM
I suppose it's a misuse (or absence) of apostrophes in the conjunction "it's."

I find this very odd - this is a grammar rule I learned in maybe third grade; it's not that difficult to understand. But you always see t-shirts which read things like "We are the Johnson's". I want to walk up to them and ask, "You are the Johnson's what?"

We've noticed this phenomenon in a lot of the Disneyland bricks too, which read "The Smith's" or "The Patterson's." Perhaps they mean that this brick belongs to just one Smith or Patterson - but I doubt it.

We always joke that if you're going to spend that much money on having a permanent landmark (semi-permanent at least), you should probably check the spelling of your family name.

Alex S.
08-28-2005, 08:58 AM
It has been discussed many times but Disney is serious need of a copyeditor. As recently mentioned there is the "mens" rath rather than "men's" room at Rancho del Zocalo. Recent Shag merchandise had misspellings on the packaging and the pin quest that was supposed to happen a couple weeks ago was cancelled because one pin had a misspelling.

PennyLane
08-28-2005, 09:44 AM
ok, what IS the error?

The spelling in the window -ITS- refers to a possesive pronoun (belonging to IT). The correct way to write it would have been the contraction IT'S- meaning IT IS. A contraction is a shortened form of words in which the missing letter(s) are replaced by an apostrophe. :)

What exactly was written in the display?

TowerofTerror
08-28-2005, 09:45 AM
nope didn't notice the spelling error at that store

coronado_g
08-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Is this just a wee bit anal-retentive?

newhdplayer
08-28-2005, 10:59 AM

Nope. Just detail-oriented.

tod
08-28-2005, 11:29 AM

No.

--t

Karin
08-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Not to mention proper grammer.

DangerMouse
08-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Not to mention proper grammer.

Or even grammar for that matter. . . :p

I Heart Disneyland!
08-28-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm so offended at Disney that they would allow this to happen. I mean, once you enter this world, everything should be perfect, and mistakes are not allowed. That's why I am boycotting until everything is fixed. I can't tolerate it anymore.

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

kinglouie1967
08-28-2005, 01:27 PM
Perhaps even more egregious -- egregiouser? -- is the lack of consistency pertaining to courtesy titles.

Why does Disney grant courtesty titles to Mr. Lincoln, Miss Daisy and Mr. Toad, but you don't see "Mr. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters," "Messrs. Chip 'n' Dale's Treehouse" or "Miss Alice in Wonderland"?

Then you have King Arthur's Carrousel (and what's up with the French spelling of carousel?), but other royal characters have been neglected. Weren't Snow White and Sleeping Beauty princesses? Yes, indeedy.

Davy Crockett was a senator, but the attraction isn't called "The Right Honorable Sen. Davy Crockett's (R-Tenn.) Explorer Canoes." And Indiana Jones most certainly was a doctor, but you wouldn't know that by Disneyland's slipshod standards.

Let's get on the stick, Disney attraction name-maker-uppers!

PapiBear
08-28-2005, 02:41 PM
The gramatikull skilz at Dizneeland are uhtroshus. Thoz peepel rilly need two lurn hao tu spel iff thay whant too get ahed in lyfe. It is teh suxxorz.

Karin
08-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Or even grammar for that matter. . . :p

Oh my gosh! I wish I could say that I planned that one... My bad.

But man, that's funny!

DCACM
08-28-2005, 07:46 PM
OK, the Disney geek that I am...

I finally learned the difference this year and Disney taught me. I finally learned via "It's a Small World" (It IS a Small World). Yep, I'm lame.

truesally
08-28-2005, 08:55 PM
I don't think it will ruin any one's trip to the park (with the possible exception of English teachers).

English teacher here...The above sentence should read:

"I don't believe it will ruin anyone's trip to the park with the possible exception of an English teacher's."

Ending on the possessive is a bit irksome but there is no other smooth way to say what the original poster intended.

Yes, I'm being silly (although accurate ;) ) and I certainly would not consider my DL trip ruined by misspellings but it definitely would stick in my mind as a significant glitch in management. I bet there are plenty of former English teachers and other detail-oriented grammar freaks who would love to spend all day proofreading signs at the park! Hell, I'd do it for free - I'm that kind of anal about this stuff :eek:

potzbie
08-28-2005, 09:13 PM
I will inform Dr. Ludwig von Drake about the lack of titles.
(I bet his title is honorary, and does not represent any graduate degree!)

I will inform the Splash Mountain personnal that Brer Bear and Brer Fox are to be referred hereafter as "Brother Bear" and Brother Fox," and to stop frequenting the Laffin' Place -- until the maintenance staff correct the sign to "The Laughing Place."

And if you find Tom Sawyer, please see that he gets no access ever again to a gallon of whitewash.
:(

Osky
08-28-2005, 10:23 PM
Yes, I'm being silly (although accurate ;) ) and I certainly would not consider my DL trip ruined by misspellings but it definitely would stick in my mind as a significant glitch in management.

You point out the mistakes in RStar's post, and then you start your post with a run-on. That's nice. Now, it would be acceptable to keep the above as once sentence, but at least throw in a comma between the independent clauses. ;)

jazzjunkie
08-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Now, it would be acceptable to keep the above as once [sic] sentence...

:D

My personal criterion is whether it might teach or reinforce poor grammar. Inconsistencies in Mr/Ms/Dr/OHolyOneWhoseHemI'mUnworthyToTouch are issues of etiquette, rather than grammar.

Not fixing the simple confusion between "its" and "it's" indicates laziness, or worse, on Disney's part. If I were with a child, I certainly wouldn't pass by the error without comment. :p

TowerofTerror
08-29-2005, 01:10 AM
i went to today after the park closed at 11pm and I looked to see if i could find the mis spellings but didn't see it please post a picture of it on here

DangerMouse
08-29-2005, 06:37 AM
i went to today after the park closed at 11pm and I looked to see if i could find the mis spellings but didn't see it please post a picture of it on here

I'm :eek: you didn't find the "mis spellings", Tower. :p