PDA

View Full Version : Best eating at DCA

kinglouie1967
08-26-2005, 04:35 PM
The food options at DCA look incredible! Fancy dancy corn dogs, gourmet wieners and carne asada with fresh tortillas. Ice-cream sundaes, date shakes and cinnamon-apple nachos. Mmmmmmmm.

As much as I'd enjoy trying everything, I'd like to be able to fit my fanny into the seat on "Dumbo" the next day (and not be mistaken for Dumbo instead). What are your dining recommendations at DCA? Are there any dishes you would avoid like the plague?

Stupid_American
08-26-2005, 04:39 PM
I like the bread bowls at Pacific Wharf.
My favorite is the clam chowder.

THpoohbear
08-26-2005, 10:28 PM
My fave is the Taste Pilot's Grill right next to Soarin'. They have a great chicken sandwich that is large enough to split, and very tasty onion rings. Yummy!

Lekta
08-26-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm with Stupid_American (probably considered one myself, in fact), I love the Clam Chowder bread bowls!

Had my first corndog on my last visit and, while, granted, it was the best corndog I've ever had, I wasn't too impressed with it. I'll certainly give it another shot on my next visit however.

Dom262
08-27-2005, 06:30 AM
Both my wife and I love the Alfredo Lasagna at The Trattoria.

DangerMouse
08-27-2005, 07:14 AM
As long as you are in DCA, take the GCH exit across from GRR and try Whitewater Snacks. They have really good, fresh, food, in a quiet atmosphere. I love their tuna sandwiches and they give you twice the amount of fresh fruit that you can get in DCA for the same price.

I always feel much better after eating at WWS vs. eating from the Corndog Castle.

rentayenta
08-27-2005, 07:39 AM
I like Taste Pilots. Their chicken popper salad is delish especially with ranch and BBQ.

Award Weiners is hit and miss.

Ariel's Grotto, which isn't named Ariel's anymore, has good food. I know the theme changed but I'm not sure if the food will stay the same.

SCUBAbe
08-27-2005, 07:44 AM
I've had good and bad experiences at white water snacks. The only time I tired a cold sandwich there the bread was so soggy I could not eat it. We showd itt o the cm and they brought out a "freshly made" sandwich that still had very soggy bread. From that point on I order off the hot menu. The only other thing is the service there is usually painfully slow.

I like the pacific warf cafe with the bread bowls. All the soups I've tried have been good and the salads that come in the bread bowls are also fantastic. We also enjoy tatse piolets grill. I get the chicken sandwich. (I think it has spicy sauce on it. I got the bbq chicken sandwich once. The bbq sauce over powered the sandwich and it was very messy to eat.)

The worst thing I have ever had at DCA are the lobster nachos from thr cove bar. They are one greasy mess and the lobster on them is cold. The chesse in the middle is never all the way melted and the outside chips are burned...*yuck* I tried them twice thinking the first time was a fluke...nope they were bad both times.

kinglouie1967
08-27-2005, 07:59 AM
The worst thing I have ever had at DCA are the lobster nachos from thr cove bar. They are one greasy mess and the lobster on them is cold. The chesse in the middle is never all the way melted and the outside chips are burned...*yuck* I tried them twice thinking the first time was a fluke...nope they were bad both times.

Oh, gross. I don't think I'd ever try those the FIRST time! LOL.

One way or another, I'm going to have a corn dog. Everybody says they're the best, biggest corn dogs they've ever had. Although I'm suspicious of hot dogs in general, I do enjoy corn dogs. We'll just have to take it from there.

PennyLane
08-27-2005, 08:36 AM
One way or another, I'm going to have a corn dog. Everybody says they're the best, biggest corn dogs they've ever had. Although I'm suspicious of hot dogs in general, I do enjoy corn dogs. We'll just have to take it from there.

Does anyone know if the corn dogs in DCA are the same as the little red wagon at DL?

Elways way
08-27-2005, 08:43 AM
If you love ice cream......you have to try Burrrbank Ice Cream! My girlfriend and I always make it a point to share one of their big specialty sundaes (in the waffle cone bowl). It is definetely enough for two!

We also tried the Trattoria for the first time on our last visit. We have been to DCA hundreds of times and never once tried this place. We thought we'd give it a go and it was well worth. The food was very good and the atmosphere was terrific (people watching from the patio). The service left a little to be desired(not refilling water, waiiting forever for teh check, bringing the wrong dressing, etc).....but I hope that was a one time thing and we just caught them on an off day.

Wendi
08-27-2005, 08:48 AM
I like Cucina Cucamonga... fish tacos are yummy! Oh, and I tried the rice pudding last time, it was excellent. I agree that you might want to head over to White Water Snacks as well, it's a good place to grab breakfast before hitting the parks too.

If you want a super yummy snack, get a sliced caramel apple - they now have them at Strips, Dips & Chips (don't know if I got that name right...)

MrsG
08-27-2005, 09:16 AM
I've had good and bad experiences at white water snacks.
I always feel like I'm eating in a school cafeteria at White Water. Not exactly the most "disney" place at the park. And while the food may be Cheap Eats, I wouldn't call it Great Eats. If I'm staying at GCH and hanging out at the pool we'll go there for a snack, but we sure wouldn't walk all that way just to eat there.

losaitkens
08-27-2005, 09:58 AM
I really enjoyed Ariel's Grotto (before the theme change) and my husband loves the corn dogs in Paradise Pier. This has become a tradition for him!

ToursbabeC3po
08-27-2005, 11:46 AM
I rarely eat at DCA I ether go to white water snacks or we take the car to Harbor and Chapman and eat at one of the places there. I really like Outback.
Toursbabe

kisroo
08-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Another vote for the Pacific Wharf~the salad in a bread bowl is perfect when shared! :) On 2 of our last trips, weve made a point of going there and sharing the chicken waldorf salad. It's delish!

I have to say, we were not the biggest fans of the food at Ariel's Grotto, though.

ILovePoker
08-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Pacific Wharf. I had Corn Chowder in a Bread Bowl soup which was very good. However, it is very very expensive there. It cost about $8.50 just for the soup in the bread bowl.

ima_mickeyfan
08-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Another vote for the Pacific Wharf~the salad in a bread bowl is perfect when shared! :) On 2 of our last trips, weve made a point of going there and sharing the chicken waldorf salad. It's delish!

I have to say, we were not the biggest fans of the food at Ariel's Grotto, though.

Oregon, our Alma Mater! We will guard thee on and on. Let us gather round and cheer her Chant her glory Oregon~roar the praises of her warriors! Sing the story Oregon! On to victory urge the heroes of our mighty Oregon!~~Mighty Oregon Fight Song

GO DUCKS!!!

Wendi
08-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Pacific Wharf. I had Corn Chowder in a Bread Bowl soup which was very good. However, it is very very expensive there. It cost about $8.50 just for the soup in the bread bowl.

I think you'd be better off having the corn chowder at Storyteller's Cafe!!!

John
08-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl at the Pacific Wharf Café, (don’t forget to ask for lots of butter for the bread), washed down with a margarita or two from Rita’s Baja Blenders!

kisroo
08-27-2005, 05:35 PM
Oregon, our Alma Mater! We will guard thee on and on. Let us gather round and cheer her Chant her glory Oregon~roar the praises of her warriors! Sing the story Oregon! On to victory urge the heroes of our mighty Oregon!~~Mighty Oregon Fight Song

GO DUCKS!!!

:D Ah! A fellow Webfoot!!! :D

I forgot to add that we really liked the sandwiches and espresso at the Baker's Field Bakery. It was nice to sit and people watch from there as well. :)

hbquikcomjamesl
08-27-2005, 08:24 PM
I rather liked the Soap Opera Bistro. Even though I despise soap operas.

Of course, now the SOB is just a memory.

I don't remember eating anything in DCA beyond a churro or a 2-pack of shortbread cookies (anybody else notice that they're cheaper [per cookie and per ounce] in 2-packs than in boxes?) since it closed. Too many nice places to eat in DL to bother trying to search DCA for a middle ground between haute cuisine and fast food.