PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Merchandise?

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
02-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Imagine you could chat with the head of Foods and Merchandise for the Disneyland Resort, but you only had TWO minutes to give him your opinion. What would you say? What new merchandise would you like to see? What old merchandise would you like to see return? And what current merchandise would you like to see in a dumpster?

The clock is ticking......

AVP

Gemini Cricket
02-22-2002, 01:04 PM
(If you read this thread thinking Grumpy, Grouchy Smurf or Grandpa Simpson was reading it outloud, it'll make it sound more pointedly surly.):D

I would tell him/her enough with the beanie babies and pins! I'd like to see more merchandise that I can ONLY get at Disneyland. Unique items that would ensure that people come to the Anaheim park to get it.

I'd like to see t-shirts with Disneyland Attraction Poster art on them or just the name of the land on it ie. Frontierland, Fantasyland etc...

More "land" specific items that cater to each land. ie. Haunted Mansion or POTC action figures, t-shirts that have the HM bust faces on it, a black t-shirt that says "Carlos, don't be cheeecken" on it and nothing else., full-sized posters of the HM portraits etc. The miscellaneous items can be @ the Emporium ie. generic plush Mickeys etc.

I'd like to see a plush Donald Duck that doesn't look like it was run over by a car. They never get his bill right. In fact, more Donald stuff. He's one of the fab five, but seems to be forgottern when they started up with the Grumpy merchandise.

Mouseketeer shirts that have your name specially printed on it in black block letters. ie. "Cubby":D

Children's costumes that don't fall apart after they wear it once.

More adult themed clothes and souvenirs. Polo shirts, office supplies, etc.

Less Pooh stuff.

To name a few.
Hmph!

DisneyDody
02-22-2002, 01:04 PM
I'd like to see more shirts, jackets, etc... that feature the attractions. Much like the POC shirt that has Mickey and Goofy riding the attraction or the Haunted Mansion shirt that has the hitchhiking ghost between them. I LOVE these items. Also I have the magnets for Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Matterhorn, HM, and BTMR, but where is Pirates- Splash Mountain, Dumbos, Teacups, etc? I want to see more attraction based merchandise... and junk this crap that you can buy at any Disney Store. Last time we were there I gave my 7 yr. old daughter money to buy whatever she wanted and she picked a package of 8 princess markers for $11.!!!!!!!!!! Why are they selling crap like that at DL??:mad:

MammaSilva
02-22-2002, 01:25 PM
I want more "walt" merchandise! Once upon a time you could find a nice tshirt with Walts image and one of his famous quotes ..not to be found these days... a heck of a lot less PLUSH every time I turn a corner and more "specific" merchandise as everyone else has said.. I'd LOVE a cool Indy tshirt but I haven't seen one.. and what the heck is up with the stores in Adventureland, we can buy the exact same stuff over at DTD for less, and since this guy is the head of foods as well....

we need Less McDonalds, more Disney comfort food... I hate it that 9 times out of 10 the place I want to eat is closed, what ever happened to the cool Root Beer Floats that you could get in those funky plastic souviner mugs but didn't cost 10 bucks and you didn't need a special cabinet at home to store them?

Lani
02-22-2002, 01:31 PM
Two things:

1. Affordable attraction collectibles. Resin or ceramic cast ride units or scenes from the attractions, priced at $30 to $80 or so. I appreciate things now saying "Disneyland" on them instead of tags that say "The Disney Store" but I would love things that are attraction-specific.

2. Subtle design T-shirts. I don't want loud Mickey or Goofy shirts -- I can buy those at Wal-Mart. I once bought a T-shirt for Alex that was tan, with a black ink drawing of New Orleans Square. The "New Orleans Square" is small but there, and looking at the design brings back memories of the square. I LOVED that one! I could easily wear a wardrobe of such T-shirts in the gym and not feel like a simpleton wearing a gaudy shirt that's screaming "I WAS A TOURIST!"

downingfamily1
02-22-2002, 01:37 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with the above posts! Enough generic stuff. I drive 12 hours to bring back Disneyland stuff, not Disney Store stuff.

Gemini Cricket
02-22-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Imagine you could chat with the head of Foods and Merchandise for the Disneyland Resort, but you only had TWO minutes to give him your opinion.
AVP-
Are you asking this because maybe there's a chance you're going to get to talk to one of these DL heads? I hope so. You tell them from us... all of the above.
:)

Matterhorn Fan
02-22-2002, 01:47 PM
Merchandise: More tasteful adult clothing (attraction stuff is a good idea). Make stuff that says "Disneyland," not just "Disneyland Resort." And what happened to the $6.50 pins--it's an expensive addiction to begin with, all those $15.50 pins aren't worth that much, and I'm cutting down. Less plush. Less Pooh.

Foods: Hours are sometimes an issue, but my biggest problem: IT'S TOO HARD FOR VEGETARIANS TO EAT AT DL! They really ought to do something about that. I can't survive on churros and Pizza Port slices (at least the churros are good; the pizza is terrible). Vegetarians like variety, too (contrary to popular belief, we do eat more than just spaghetti and salad).

Lani
02-22-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
Foods: Hours are sometimes an issue, but my biggest problem: IT'S TOO HARD FOR VEGETARIANS TO EAT AT DL!I do agree with you, MF -- it's tough to satisfy the traditional American palate (think Heartland of America food -- everything meaty and fried) and handle the California diet. Downtown Disney does provide an option for you, and the fruit carts (and Mickey-head pretzels) can go a long way.

justagrrl
02-22-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
I'd like to see t-shirts with Disneyland Attraction Poster art on them or just the name of the land on it ie. Frontierland, Fantasyland etc...

More "land" specific items that cater to each land. ie. Haunted Mansion or POTC action figures, t-shirts that have the HM bust faces on it, a black t-shirt that says "Carlos, don't be cheeecken" on it and nothing else., full-sized posters of the HM portraits etc. The miscellaneous items can be @ the Emporium ie. generic plush Mickeys etc.

Mouseketeer shirts that have your name specially printed on it in black block letters. ie. "Cubby":D

Children's costumes that don't fall apart after they wear it once.

More adult themed clothes and souvenirs. Polo shirts, office supplies, etc.!

YES! That's the sort of stuff I'd actually buy!

[Moderator's note: vB code fixed around quoted material. -- Lani]

mad4mky
02-22-2002, 02:23 PM
First off, get rid of a lot of the plastic, toy junk that you can by at a 5 and dime...and get ride of those light spinners, and plastic rose crap. Junk...all of it. The stupid balls, and plastic wind up toys...

**We need a better selection of adult clothing. And I agree, it should say Disneyland...not resort added to it. Or, they should be more selective. Like said earlier, I can get a "loud" shirt at K-Mart...I want something subtle, yet has Mickey on it. (I bought a beautiful French terry sweatshirt about 5 years ago...so nice, with just a round Mickey symbol on it. I cost a lot...but to this day, it looks brand new...and subtle, not showy!)
** I think a larger selection flannel nighties for women. I bought one last year, and wanted to get another one this year...it was the same one...no difference at all. (:( ).
More unique jewelry...stuff you cannot find in the DisneyStore. Items that are only at WDW or DL.
***More 14kt gold jewelry...that is not designer stuff that you must pay a gazillion dollars for. Just good quality 14kt gold jewelry, that is exclusive to the parks...rings, necklaces, earrings, etc.***I don't mind paying more money for a nice piece of jewelry, but I refuse to pay good money for junk!!

**And, more ODV of hotdogs, or corndogs around the park. I love the corndog cart, but its seems always closed. I'd like to eat while on the go...and its tough to do, when you have to wait in burger lines, etc.

Gemini Cricket
02-22-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky
First off, get rid of a lot of the plastic, toy junk that you can by at a 5 and dime...and get ride of those light spinners, and plastic rose crap.
Yes, especially that light-up glowing rose. It's a cheap-o made in Taiwan light up thingamajig piece of junk. And I have five of them.:D jk

MonorailMan
02-22-2002, 04:10 PM
I'd Like To See More Attration Models, Like they have for DCA. Seems like all DL has is the Monorail and the train.

FYI: The Train Set Is Actully From WDW. :)

BELLEH5
02-22-2002, 04:41 PM
Yes the pins need be gone!! And out with POOH!! I would love to see more attraction based items along with Walt items. Also more adult things(office supples, computer things,etc..) One question do they sell Attraction posters at DL? If so how much? Thanks:)

Morrigoon
02-22-2002, 06:14 PM
I like the idea of nice looking, inexpensive, resin statuettes. More durable than ceramic, nicer than kiddie plastic, and cheaper than the "collectibles".

Sleeping Beauty is BLUE! She wears pink for only a tiny fraction of her screen time. While we're on the subject, Cinderella is much closer to silver, or at least a light ice blue. My favorite Disney princess (Aurora) is one I can barely buy merchandise for because she's always in that hideous 80's hot pink, which I WILL NOT BUY. I can't even get the basic ceramic figurine of her in blue. Something that common, surely you could sell a few blue ones!

I agree with more attraction-specific merchandise. Let me rephrase that, DISNEYLAND specific attracttion merchandise. There are so many cool items (ride vehicle toys, etc) that I would love to own, but they're the Florida versions. I haven't been to WDW in 7 years, why would I want merchandise of their attractions? If you want the Disneyland Resort to be treated as a full-fledged Disney resort, start treating it like one! (That said, if there was one store in the park that had a special area set aside for the merchandise of other parks, and was labeled so, that would actually be kind of cool, just don't mix it in and try to pass it off as DL stuff)

Bring back the $3 souvenier root beer mugs. They're such a nice, normal size that can be easily assimilated into our collections, and they must be cheaper to produce than those top-heavy sippers.

Put an old-fashioned soda fountain/bar in the Carnation Plaza area. Theme it to main street, with shiny brass, marble-looking countertops, and spinning barstools. Great place to sell those rootbeer float mugs (like you used to do when CPG was a burger/ice cream location). The area would do well to have a "small" merch location, in the corner (near the path to the castle). It could sell Mic 'n Min 50's style stuff. Poodle skirts with Pluto on them, hair bows, letterman jackets with the Disney style "D" on them, etc, as well as CDs for the bands which play at CPG (and the other Disney bands as well).

More "Toad"-like events. Sure some of the events have had their pitfalls, but don't give up on them, the idea is still good. But not all of them need to be blockbuster events. Some smaller, cheaper ones thrown into the mix would help. How about a few $40-$50 events with dinner and a small discussion or lecture plus riding the highlighted attraction? Simpler stuff. The banquets are nice, once in a while, but there are many of us who would be more able to attend 2-3 of the $50 events than one $90 event, silly as that sounds (but perception is everything!). More mid-priced merchandise at those events. Sell me things in the $20-$30 range - models of attraction fronts, ride vehicles, etc. Pins and t-shirts are not enough variety in that price range (I like pins, but you can only own so many - I'd rather have a model or an inexpensive print.

How about winter "date nights"? Have a special-ticket event on, say, Wednesday nights, where guests enter at 6:30 and are given access to a particular area (the West side would work well, from Thunder to Critter Country, bypassing Adventureland). Keep Thunder, Mark Twain, Mansion, Pirates, and Splash open, as well as Rancho del Zocalo, Riverbelle, and French Market. For an extra $20 added to the event price, offer a dinner cruise on the Twain - 40-60 minutes of cruising around the river with dinner served (with no bathrooms on board, 40 is probably a better time, if service can be done that fast). Stick a small jazz band on board, and mic them to broadcast all over the area.

Special events that get the guests involved (for example, ones that encourage guests to get dressed up!) Medieval (Hunchback, Sleeping Beauty, Robin Hood), 1700's (Cinderella), turn of the century (Mary Poppins - could be combined with a movie viewing in the Opera House or FL theater!), etc. Or artistic events, a kind of combination class/event. Animation, theme park design, or just Disney character drawing in general would be great events. That would be a nice choice for the higher-ticket events (and a good event for DCA). Start off the evening with dinner (Avalon Cove perhaps), then bring all the guests over to the Animation building where tables and chairs have been set up with the appropriate art supplies. Use the theater for an actual lecture, and have the rest of the building open for guests to wander through.

Gemini Cricket
02-22-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by BELLEH5
One question do they sell Attraction posters at DL? If so how much? Thanks:)
I know they sell smaller versions of the posters @ the Gallery above POTC. Also, I've seen them at the Disney Store Gallery @ Main Place Mall in Santa Ana. I don't know if that store is still there... You can also try ebay.
:)

stan4d_steph
02-22-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by lani
... 2. Subtle design T-shirts. I don't want loud Mickey or Goofy shirts -- I can buy those at Wal-Mart. I once bought a T-shirt for Alex that was tan, with a black ink drawing of New Orleans Square. The "New Orleans Square" is small but there, and looking at the design brings back memories of the square. I LOVED that one! I could easily wear a wardrobe of such T-shirts in the gym and not feel like a simpleton wearing a gaudy shirt that's screaming "I WAS A TOURIST!"

FYI, you can still get this t-shirt, it's just hidden away. I've seen it at Port d'Orleans (the shop between Pieces of Eight and the soup in a breadbowl place). They were sort of tucked away to the left and a little behind the cash registers. I like this shirt too.

I am also in the camp of "subtler is better." I want something I could wear somewhere outside the park and not feel like I'm screaming "Look! I went to DL and got this shirt!" I also concur on more attraction merchandise.

Less Pooh. Also less flag related stuff. I realize there is more of a demand for this stuff now, but it is overkill. Get rid of the Roxy clothing. I can get that at South Coast Plaza.

wonderful
02-22-2002, 09:10 PM
First, Hi AVP! You haven't stopped by the hall lately!
Okay, let's get crackin' on this idea...
"Folks, we need to look at something called synergy... and it's not a NEW concept. Why are there no "small world" themed toys in that small world shop? Why do we not sell Lion King, Jungle Book and Aladdin themed merchandise in Adventureland? What is with having the SAME frickin' thing in EVERY shop? How is it that we can have Imagineering struggle to keep every trash can and toilet themed to each land, but we can't come up with merchandise that even half way fits the lands?? Not to mention we ARE Disney and need not be pawning Roxy and other labels in our parks! So, I want you folks to go back to the attractions and the movies they are based on and come up with the shirts, hats, figurines, and other items our guests want.... and, one more thing, Japan boldly decided to end their pin program cold turkey-- with the guest overall experience in mind, can we not at least cut back on the pin stuff? We will (and have in the past) survive without it....
Now, you foods folks are not doing all that badly. Let's put the princesses AND the princes in the Plaza Inn when Pooh and pals goes to Hungry Bear, let's somehow utilize that patio in front of the Pavillion, maybe put a coffee cart out there, and let's bring some entertainment to the Winery, a solo operetta and a piano would be nice, or even a harp. And let's do our guests a service by somehow informing them at the gate of which restaraunts are and are not open. There's nothing worse than promising a hungry child a food item they can't get... well, maybe promising a hungry adult... Avalon Cove proves we can offer some value to our guests, so keep that sort of stuff up. And, one more thing, FUNNEL CAKES sell!!! Keep this in mind Critter Country team and don't shy away from them in California Adventure either.
Well... GET TO WORK!"
And that's sorta what it would sound like =)

Matterhorn Fan
02-23-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by lani
I do agree with you, MF -- it's tough to satisfy the traditional American palate (think Heartland of America food -- everything meaty and fried) and handle the California diet. Downtown Disney does provide an option for you, and the fruit carts (and Mickey-head pretzels) can go a long way. True, true, but . . .

It's not practical to eat every meal at DTD. One a day at most, and those are all sit-down restaurants and a tad expensive (and even thier vegetarian options are slim).

If the pretzels were hot (=fresh) that would be a great idea. Cold, they're just OK.

Fruit carts: Good point.

At some places they'll make substitutions and leave meat off the dishes, but this is even getting harder to do. For example: When Rancho del Zocalo first opened, I could get a tostada there with extra lettuce instead of refried beans (there's lard in refried beans), and I could get extra black beans instead of the meat. It was a good meal for a decent price. But now they don't have the black beans anymore, which means I basically end up with an $8 ($9?) bowl of lettuce.

There aren't vegetarian options on most of the menus--this is off the top of my head, but I think that the Mexican place in DCA, Taste Pilot's Grill, and Rancho in DL don't have anything without meat on the menu. (They'll leave it off, but even though they've left off the meat--the most expensive ingredient--you don't get a lower price.) I have my suspicions that the soups at the bakery in DCA are made with either chicken or beef stock (I'm afraid to ask).

It's not really about me getting a square meal. I think it's more frustrating for all the carnivores I visit with ("sorry, I can't eat here," "nope, we'll have to go all the way to the other side of the park," "I know it's been a 14-hour day, but we have to go to IHOP so I can finally eat," "you want me to pick the place to eat? OK, let's go all the way over to the Paradise Pier Hotel--they have good food for me over there," "fine, I'll just suck on that lemon wedge that comes on the side of your plate").

Not Afraid
02-23-2002, 03:14 PM
I'll make a stab but I'm sure I'll be adding more later.

Clothing

I will NOT wear bright pink or purple shirts with 2' tall characters on them, nor will I wear a shirt that proclaims "I'm with Grumpy" or that I am a "Princess." I don't go to DL for Roxy merchandise.

I do want tasteful clothing with smaller logos/artwork. Clothing with nostalgia. Merchandise for charachters beyond the Pooh Crew - even beyond the Fab 5.

Nike gets their logo out there with just a simple swoosh on merchandise. It's tasteful, subtle, adds to the persona of the wearer, while keeping the Nike presence known. And this merchandise is popular and fashionable.

A few recent examples of what I did NOT buy

Gaudy Glow in the Dark Haunted Mansion sweatshirt with excessive artwork on both the front and back.

Cute cotton Pajamas that only featured the Pooh Crew.

Denim Jacket with small, beautiful castle embroidery on the front and HUGE, PINK "PRINCESS" on back.

Very cute boy's polo shirt with block colors (think tomorrowland costume inspired) and small Mickey embroidery. When are the Adult sizes?? These are cool!

A variety of t-shirts because they are either only available in a blocky Men's style or cute u-necks in size 0.

Where is the merchandise for the professional woman? Even on weekends, I don't like to look like a complete slob.

I guess if the gap between tourist and taste can be filled in, I would buy more.

Popular Themes (short list)

Attraction Posters
Castle
Old Tomorrowland
Stuff from different lands with old land logos or retro sinage
Character silhouettes from old parking signs
E-Ticket
Classic lines from ride narratives (Permence sentados, porfavor; The Back Side of Water!, etc.)

On and On and On and On..............

Techie7
02-23-2002, 04:05 PM
What ever happened to the adult male clothing. I have noticed over the last few years their has been fewer and fewer adult oriented merchandise and even less clothing for guys. I rarely find anything in the Disney Store anymore. I agree with the many people above who want something that doesn't screem "tourist." I wish that their would be a DisneyStore Adult. Since they have one for kids. Something along the lines of the Disneyworld Home store. I would love to pick up some home items to put up around the apartment. Also why is it that you can only get pooh and the fab five? What about all of the other Disney characters that never get merchandise. I would love to see some of the Disney Afternoon or more Villians merch. Some of this may exist but it has illuded me. For Disneyland Merchandise I would LOVE to be able to purchase concept drawings. Old concept sketches or plans for the different attractions, buildings, shows, or items that never made it. Also more park specific merchandise. I think many people are on the same page with what they are looking for.

piphi74
02-23-2002, 04:21 PM
:confused: Why all the Pooh stuff??? I don't believe he's one of Walt's....
They are getting better at offering Tinker Bell merchandise but I'd still like to see some more subtle adult stuff with Tink on it.
I bought some flannel PJ bottoms a few years ago with Minnie on them and can't find them anymore. They are my favorites!

HBTiggerFan
02-23-2002, 04:23 PM
Mr. importnat merchandice person:
I would love to see the park specific/land specific merchandice that once graced Disneyland. I do not like seeing DCA, WDW or Disney Store merchandice in Disneyland, it ruines the magic and guest experinece. I would also like to see high quality toys instead of the cheap junk that is sold now. Also more adult orientated clothing and merchandice. What happened to the porcline figures? I also feel there is way to much plush and way to many pins/pin carts. If you feel the need to offer WDW/DCA/Disney Store merchandice at the DLR, then do it at the WORLD of Disney Store. THAT store is apporpirate for an even blend.

Mr. important foods person:
The quality/quanity of food has gone down consitantly while the prices have gone up. Gone are the days where a bowl of clam chower at Cafe Orleans or French Market is guarenteed to be hot. Gone are the days when you know a Churro is safe to eat. And there are so few healthy choices to eat in the park that people are giving their park dollars to downtown disney. There are a few improvements however. Pizza Port offers some good quanities, and Tomorrowland Terrace is offering more than just burgers. I look forward to seeing more of an increase in quality/quanity of the food at the entire DLR.

PhilMP
02-24-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by wonderful
let's somehow utilize that patio in front of the Pavillion, maybe put a coffee cart out there

Ummm...ODV already has a coffee cart out there, and it's been out there for years. However, it's in rehab right now since the coffee machines we use are screwed up due to massive overuse and bad maintenance by lazy CMs.

marron-cream
02-24-2002, 12:56 AM
I'd like to see some retro stuff. Disney Japan, or whoever is in charge there, made an awesome line using older pictures of the different fairy tales, like Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, etc. I scanned one of the notebooks I recently bought overseas, here's the link:

http://www.peachy-keen.net/oldsnow.jpg

I've seen stationery, trinket boxes, file folders, trays, cups, plates, bowls, cell phone straps, and purses with these designs. I'm sure there's more out there. I'd love to have a t-shirt or hat with a picture like that, it sure beats the pink princess crap that we're inundated with right now.