PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Remember 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea arcade game - 1960's Disneyland

newportbeachbumz
08-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Does anyone remember this arcade type game or have info on it. I beleive it was made specifically for Disneyland. I think it had a parascope that you look into and shoot torpedos. :geek:

Disney4Me
08-26-2005, 08:58 PM
It is amazing to think they had arcarde games back then! I saw here once (MousePlanet) that they had an exhibit that retired in 67 that was in Tomorrowland. I know somewhere else too (sorry can't give credit because I am not sure) that the organ from the 20 000 exhibit is now at Haunted Mansion. There is a DOS game but not old enough to be what you are looking for.

Circarama
08-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Does anyone remember this arcade type game or have info on it. I beleive it was made specifically for Disneyland. I think it had a parascope that you look into and shoot torpedos. :geek:
I know where it is, and the guy who owns it. He is an artist, and he reproduces (via silkscreen) pinball machine glass backgrounds for a living.
I would like to talk him out of it, but believe me, He knows what he has.
I'll see if I can get a picture of it, and post a link to my photobucket account.
:D

cemeinke
08-26-2005, 09:43 PM

I recall it very well, as it was my favorite game in the Main Street arcade, but I'm not sure it was themed to the movie - what with shooting torpedos and all. I loved that this game was essentailly a diorama, withe a luminous torpedo heading to unsuspecting ships moving across the backdrop. I believe this was built specially for the park, so perhaps one day it will emerge again.

newportbeachbumz
08-27-2005, 07:06 AM
I know where it is, and the guy who owns it. He is an artist, and he reproduces (via silkscreen) pinball machine glass backgrounds for a living.
I would like to talk him out of it, but believe me, He knows what he has.
I'll see if I can get a picture of it, and post a link to my photobucket account.
:D
That would be awesome - is this person in Orange County? Out of curiosity what company made the machine? Does he know the history behind it ... ie where it was originally, year it was made, year it was taken out? I am such a disney geek! :geek:

newportbeachbumz
08-27-2005, 07:07 AM
I recall it very well, as it was my favorite game in the Main Street arcade, but I'm not sure it was themed to the movie - what with shooting torpedos and all. I loved that this game was essentailly a diorama, withe a luminous torpedo heading to unsuspecting ships moving across the backdrop. I believe this was built specially for the park, so perhaps one day it will emerge again.
That is so awesome!

mrcoffee
08-27-2005, 06:54 PM
A good place to find pre-1977 'electro-mechanical' video games is here. (http://marvin3m.com/arcade/). I'm remember a few of them when I was a kid, and I'm sure quite a few were at Disneyland at the time.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for an alphabetical listing of the games, with pictures.. Pretty amazing.

newportbeachbumz
08-28-2005, 07:55 AM
A good place to find pre-1977 'electro-mechanical' video games is here. (http://marvin3m.com/arcade/). I'm remember a few of them when I was a kid, and I'm sure quite a few were at Disneyland at the time.

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for an alphabetical listing of the games, with pictures.. Pretty amazing.

That's a great website - I'm sending the owner of the site pics of another arcade/slot machine (from when gambling was outlawed in some states) 1950's in hopes he might have history on it. Maybe he'll have info on the 20,000 leagues machine as well! Thanks for the link :)

Circarama
08-28-2005, 04:09 PM
I remembered that he sent me a photo of it about back in May. I just found it in my archived e-mails. If you have any questions about it, I can ask him for you. :)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/circarama/20000-leagues-game.jpg