PDA

View Full Version : Attack Of The Killer Brandys!!!

Pages : [1] 2

pixiepal
02-22-2002, 11:15 AM
Did you all read David Koenig's little blurb about the singer Brandy and how her bodyguard roughed up a guest last weekend for taking her picture?

Well, my group and I also had a little run in with the "star" last Saturday nite, although not as bad as the guest in David's column.
We were exiting the Orange Stinger and were about halfway down the steps when one of my friends whispered to me "It's Brandy!" And sure enough,
coming up the exit stairs (I love it how celebs dont have to wait in line like us common folk...even though the wait was non-existant) was
Brandy and a friend, and what appeared to be a bodyguard.
As we got down to the pavement, my friend snaps a picture. Immediately Brandy starts pointing to us, calling attention to her bodyguard. Of
course I figure that he is on his way down to confiscate our film, so we high-tail it towards Screamin'. She watches us leave the whole
way...pointing and yelling all along.
Who does she think she is?

Anybody else see her this weekend, and have a similar experience?
What other famous people with an attitude might you have seen at the park?

02-22-2002, 11:45 AM
pixiepal, is it that Brandy's afraid you'll sell the picture or that she didn't look good?

I saw Carlos Santana in the park in the mid-80's. We approached him. He was friendly. Verdict: a gentleman with a hell of a loud Hawaiian shirt.

Gemini Cricket
02-22-2002, 11:45 AM
I'm a real "put-yourself-in-their-shoes" kind of guy. I guess it's from working customer service type jobs and being an actor that I can do this. Okay, Brandy's rich, famous and popular. But she's also a human being.
If someone said, "It's Pixiepal!" and snapped your picture one time you would be fine with it. Which is what it appeared to you w/ Brandy. BUT imagine if that was the 500th time it happened to you that week. Multiply your experience w/ Brandy 500 times. That's what she has to deal with. Everyday.
Some might say, "But we pay her salary! I buy her CDs she needs to deal with it." Yes, but the entertainment on her CD is the exchange for what you paid for it. Brandy doesn't owe anyone a picture for the rest of her life because she had a couple of hit albums.
;)
On a wayyyyy smaller scale, I did a play here. The play was a huge success and my character was a hit because he was the only comic relief in a very serious play. I had people coming up to me on the streets, at work and at my apartment wanting to talk about my character. The first five times was wonderful, but it continued for weeks and weeks after. A complete stranger sat down at my table while my partner and I were having dinner at a restaurant. He wanted me to help him break in to the theatre community here. It was scary. That wasn't so fun.:)

MammaSilva
02-22-2002, 11:55 AM
I have to say that while I can appreciate GC's viewpoint and actually agree with 95 percent of it, it isn't like the guests went up and asked her to pose, it was a random snapshot of her in public, they didn't disturb her by asking for autographs or the like...and if she didn't/doesn't want to be recognized do a little something LESS dramatic than having a bodyguard walk you around the park, a little creative makeup/hairdo and she would have gotten a glance or two and someone might have said hey did you know you kind of look like Brandy... but for her to go full out "Look at me but DON"T look at ME" with the body guard/ backdoor pass ect then I feel she has put herself in the "public domain" at least in regards to a casual snapshot taken from a distance, sic'ing the bodyguard on a guest, being manhandled for my camera.. I'd be furious!

On the other hand I have 'seen' a few celebs attempting to be incognito and have respected their attempts at privacy...but come on, prance your happy wanabe a superstar behind around then act outraged over a snapshot? I think she needed the PR from the outraged public.. but that's just MHO

ishkabibble
02-22-2002, 11:58 AM
I once saw Cher at the park (at least I think it was Cher. She was surrounded by such an entourage that it was difficult to tell for sure). No problem taking her picture - you couldn't get close enough for that... And yep, she wasn't waiting in any lines either.

DisneyDody
02-22-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
I'm a real "put-yourself-in-their-shoes" kind of guy. I guess it's from working customer service type jobs and being an actor that I can do this. Okay, Brandy's rich, famous and popular. But she's also a human being.
If someone said, "It's Pixiepal!" and snapped your picture one time you would be fine with it. Which is what it appeared to you w/ Brandy. BUT imagine if that was the 500th time it happened to you that week. Multiply your experience w/ Brandy 500 times. That's what she has to deal with. Everyday.
Some might say, "But we pay her salary! I buy her CDs she needs to deal with it." Yes, but the entertainment on her CD is the exchange for what you paid for it. Brandy doesn't owe anyone a picture for the rest of her life because she had a couple of hit albums.
;)

BUT if someone did that to you would you send someone over to them to rough them up or destroy their film and camera? If she has a problem then she needs to find a better solution- From what I understand DL can be rented out for private parties... if she didn't want to be among us common folk she could have done that... otherwise she knows the consequences. She "famous" - albeit I wouldn't have cared whether I saw her in the park, I'd be much more interested on getting on a ride than gawking at a boring celeb. But anyway, She could have worn a disguise - hat and sunglasses would have shielded her from being too recognizable and not showing up well in any pics that were taken. But her approach to "ATTACK" people was wrong. The people mentioned didn't yell "BRANDY!" and snapp her pic. They seemed to just snap a photo- she saw it happen and freaked out. It's just bad manners on her (Brandy's) part. How annoying that she'd think she was all that!!! :confused:

innerSpaceman
02-22-2002, 12:06 PM
If celebrities can't get a break from fans in public and they want to go to Disneyland, then they'd best take a page from Michael Jackson's playbook and go in disguise. Disneyland is a place where 50% of the people are touting a camera, and a place that has such a crowd that it is much more likely that you will be recognized than say, if you went to your corner Starbucks. So best be prepared to deal with requests for autographs, pointing, rude or complimentary remarks, and yes - plenty of photographs if you don't want to wear a fright wig and a false nose.

You best not, under any circumstances, have your bodyguard assualt someone who has not physically accosted you. Forget Disneyland security, I would have had the cops out there and pressed charges against the bodyguard and against Ms. Brandy.

mad4mky
02-22-2002, 12:06 PM
Well, I am not one to judge....but I hope Brandy wasn't hopping on Space Mountain or California Screaming...I heard today that she is pregnant, with the baby due in July....

(course, when I was in my first tri-mester with my 2nd girl, I went on all the rides...so I am not judging...but she would be around 4 months pregnant....?!):(

hefferdude
02-22-2002, 12:09 PM
Admittedly, papparazzi can have its darker side.

Nonetheless - the " bodyguard " was waayyy
out of line in a place such as DLR or DCA.:mad:

Situation: What if a guest was simply taking a
picture of the train station and this "famous"
person just happend to be there...
Next thing you know some hired wiseguy slams a guest.
Looks reeeeel good in front of Mom and the kids.
Coming back? Nah. Gonna go get a root canal instead.
( Hey, TDA suits, Burbank legal is calling...) :crying:

If you don't want the adoration,
Don't seek the status.
If you're gonna get ugly,
Et tu personna non gratis.

I don't think this one was VSOP anyway.:D

Gemini Cricket
02-22-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by DisneyDody
BUT if someone did that to you would you send someone over to them to rough them up or destroy their film and camera?
My comments were about pixiepal's experience. The other story I didn't hear first hand.

I would not have anyone roughed up if I was Brandy. Common sense would say - Disneyland's chock full of cameras. She could have downplayed her persona that day, sure.

I'm just saying celebs are human beings. Put yourself in their shoes. I'm not sure if any of us were suddenly given celebrity status, that we would all be calm, demure and smile all the time.

Brandy's pregnant? Maybe that would explain (not justify) her freaking out at people taking her picture. Maybe some tabloid's out to get a photo of her pregnant. Also, some people are superstitious about being photoed when expecting. My mom and my aunts are that way. Who knows.
:confused:

DisneyDody
02-22-2002, 12:33 PM

I'm just saying celebs are human beings. Put yourself in their shoes. I'm not sure if any of us were suddenly given celebrity status, that we would all be calm, demure and smile all the time.

Understood, and I agree... I think as a whole we tend to build celebs up more than they honestly deserve. I have NEVER approached a celeb that wasn't in a place where they were there to be approached (meaning they were there to give autographs, etc.) I just don't see the need to disturb a celeb who's just out doing their own thing. But I think Brandy was playing the Diva there. I'm sure all visitors at DL end up in someone elses pictures at one point or another. Cameras are snapping all over the place. She had no right to freak out about it. And in the case where the guy had has film (and camera) ruined by a bodyguard because Brandy THOUGHT he MIGHT have taken a picture of her is sick. :mad: I'd be really ticked off to lose my vacation photos to some prima donna. And you can bet I would have called the Anaheim police and pressed charges. :mad:

Gemini Cricket
02-22-2002, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by DisneyDody
And in the case where the guy had has film (and camera) ruined by a bodyguard because Brandy THOUGHT he MIGHT have taken a picture of her is sick. :mad: I'd be really ticked off to lose my vacation photos to some prima donna. And you can bet I would have called the Anaheim police and pressed charges. :mad:
Was this a huge story in the newspapers or something? You know, about the camera getting smashed and all that? I haven't heard this story prior to reading it on this thread. It sounds like a story that would have gotten a lot of press. Like Winona Ryder's theft scandal. :)

mrcoffee
02-22-2002, 01:02 PM
Wouldn't it be interesting if everyone chased after someone when they took a picture of you (by accident, by you walking by, or being in the background, etc. etc.)

That would make a day at DL interesting, to say the least..

MammaSilva
02-22-2002, 01:04 PM
OOOOOPPPSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!

someone didn't read the main page this morning :)

http://www.mouseplanet.com/david/elevator.htm

Brown Monkey
02-22-2002, 01:12 PM
Thank goodness that Superstar Limo is closed. Imagine the tantrums that Brandy would go through when they treat her like a real star and snap her photos in there!!! That bodygaurd would tear the place apart! Poor plywood cut-outs!

Gemini Cricket
02-22-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
[B]OOOOOPPPSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!
someone didn't read the main page this morning :)

That would be me.
Funny thing, though, right as I was about to read it, someone came up to me and said, "Aren't you Doc DisneyLad Gemini Cricket?" I said yes. Then he wanted to take a picture of me. I got sooo distracted I forgot to read today's articles.
:rolleyes: :D Ahem....:)

MammaSilva
02-22-2002, 01:18 PM
LOL it's all good! I just think that people who have chosen careers that make them "high profile" need to accept the down side and learn to adapt and overcome....if she can't afford to rent the parks to have it to herself then spend a few bucks on a good disguise.....Heck I stood right behind John Travolta in line at a churro cart but none of us bothered him because it was so obvious he was there with his children....just the presence of the bodyguard is what has me sort of ticked off that she wants to claim "privacy" .....

hbquikcomjamesl
02-22-2002, 01:33 PM
Who's "Brandy"?

Corndog Barbie
02-22-2002, 01:36 PM
I am what I am and no amount of mustard is going to disguise me.

I tend to agree that the 'star' has to accept what comes with the fame but we as fans have to respect the privacy of others as well.

It must be hard to not be able to appear in public without creating a scene. There will always be those 'stars' who flaunt their fame in your face and resent your fan reaction and there will always be the fan who won't respect the privacy of the recognizable. And that's when, most likely, the cameras get broken or cars crash and people die.

CD Barbie, don't hate me because I'm recognizable!

disneynut
02-22-2002, 01:45 PM
I gotta question...How do the CM's know that this person is a 'star' and to let her on the rides through the exit? If it would have been me, I would have had no idea who she was. Do they get a pass? How do they get? Call the park and tell them they are coming so the pass is ready or go to city hall and get a pass the morning of? How big of a celebrity do you have to be in order to get this pass? And if the CM who is issuing the pass has no idea who this person is do they still get the pass? I'm just wondering because I don't know if I'd be able to point out a 'star' if they weren't where I am used to seeing them (on TV or in a movie) Maybe it's just me....:o

Gemini Cricket
02-22-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Corndog Barbie
CD Barbie, don't hate me because I'm recognizable!
Question for CornDog Barbie: Your fans want to know. How do you drive that car? You have no arms and a wooden dowl for a leg. Let me guess, you car's stick shift.
:D Get it, stick shift.:D
Hahaaa...? Oh well...

Dave Z
02-22-2002, 02:19 PM

Your fans want to know. How do you drive that car?

Can you spell chauffeur? I couldn't until I looked it up.

CD Barbie.

pixiepal
02-22-2002, 02:24 PM
She wasn't wearing any sort of disguise...she had on tight jeans and a hooded sweatshirt with the hood pulled up....but you could still tell it was her. The 350 lb bulldog next to her kind of gave it away! BTW...if she is preggers those jeans were AWFULLY tight.
The picture my friend took was from the pavement, while Brandy and Co. were on the landing of the ride, so it wasn't like it was really close or anything. I can't wait to see the picture.
Anyway, I feel that if you are famous, being recognized and having attention called to you go with the territory. You signed up for it, so DEAL.

Gemini Cricket
02-22-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by pixiepal
She wasn't wearing any sort of disguise...she had on tight jeans and a hooded sweatshirt with the hood pulled up....but you could still tell it was her. The 350 lb bulldog next to her kind of gave it away! BTW...if she is preggers those jeans were AWFULLY tight.
The picture my friend took was from the pavement, while Brandy and Co. were on the landing of the ride, so it wasn't like it was really close or anything. I can't wait to see the picture.
Anyway, I feel that if you are famous, being recognized and having attention called to you go with the territory. You signed up for it, so DEAL.
When you get it, post the picture here. We'd all love to see it.
:)

mad4mky
02-22-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by pixiepal
BTW...if she is preggers those jeans were AWFULLY tight.

I feel that if you are famous, being recognized and having attention called to you go with the territory. You signed up for it, so DEAL.

I get an e-mail from People every morning...with all the recent news...one of them this morning is that she has announced she's preggers and the baby is due in July. I guess its good that she just announced she got married a few months ago...(course now a days, that really doesn't matter to most people).

And I agree with the next line you have...if she didn't want all this attention...why did she go to Disneyland in the first place? What'd she think, that everyone was just going to ignore her? Duh...:confused: