PDA

View Full Version : What Was Better America Sings Or Carousel Of Progress?

Pages : [1] 2

Doug
08-25-2005, 10:25 PM
I liked both of them myself, I think I lean towards America sings... sure is nice to see some of the characters on Splash!

FYI:
COP opened July 2, 1967 (a Sunday), closed September 9, 1973 (a Sunday also)
AS opened June 29, 1974 (a Saturday), closed April 10, 1988 (a Sunday)

Ps. to the sysop, please add a polling function!

MsYumiBr
08-25-2005, 10:33 PM
If I *had* to choose, I would like America Sings because I like the Americana aspect.

TowerofTerror
08-25-2005, 10:50 PM
America Sings I would chose

sleepyjeff
08-25-2005, 11:42 PM
I saw America Sings before I ever saw CoP(really, I did)..........I loved them both but I would have to give the edge to America Sings :)

stan4d_steph
08-26-2005, 05:01 AM
Carousel of Progress

CRS24
08-26-2005, 05:56 AM
America Sings :D

SummerinFL
08-26-2005, 06:03 AM
I've never seen America Sings, so my votes for Carousel of Progress since we have it in FL. :~D :p

HorizonsA
08-26-2005, 06:54 AM
I vote for Carousel of Progress. Even though I've only seen it twice, can't get enough of that theme song. I've never seen America Sings. I was only 3 years old, so if I had seen it, I probably don't remember, though my mother was it was fantastic.

MrsG
08-26-2005, 07:31 AM
Carousel of Progress, hands down. I was upset when they got rid of it and resisted liking America Sings. But I learned to like it.

vmjess
08-26-2005, 07:50 AM
America Sings!! I loved how the building would rotate you to the next scene and still ove to see my America Sings friends on Splash Mountain.

blueckles
08-26-2005, 07:59 AM
I don't really remember America Sings, but I went on Carousel of Progress when I went to Florida and really liked it. So, COP it is! :)

(I'm surprised DLF hasn't posted on here yet...)

Maus
08-26-2005, 08:03 AM
Carousel of Progress. Go see Asimo in Innoventions if you want to revisit that theme song!

MainStreetFan
08-26-2005, 08:08 AM
CoP, love the music. Bring back the music you can sing along to!!

jetkitten
08-26-2005, 08:13 AM
I saw America Sings before I ever saw CoP(really, I did)..........I loved them both but I would have to give the edge to America Sings :)
Me too. I grew up knowing america sings oh I remember when I saw the framework of splash moutain up too. I finally saw CoP in florida.

rentayenta
08-26-2005, 08:28 AM
America Sings.

JiminyCricket
08-26-2005, 08:42 AM
I think America Sings was a bit better. I loved them both, especially the original CoP without the PC updates. AS did not fit the Tomorrowland theme though. It was a great AA show.

spectromen
08-26-2005, 09:13 AM
They both have value but I guess I'd go with America Sings since I grew up with it. It's always bothered me that with an updated facade and sign as well as a new "final" more modern music room, I bet it'd be more highly attended than Innoventions is today. :(

Missing Marbles
08-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Carousel of Progress, hands down. I was upset when they got rid of it and resisted liking America Sings. But I learned to like it.

Exactly for me, too! My Vote is Carousel of Progress due to my resentment for America Sings. LOL.

jon80flt
08-26-2005, 09:35 AM
Carousel of Progress...hands down!!!!

You all know that most of the America Sings characters migrated to Splash Mountain... but two of them didn't get that far. Do you know in which attraction those two ended up? :confused:

I also wish they hadn't destroyed the Monsanto House of the Future... it would make a great "Granny Suite" in my backyard! :D

Jon

DianeM
08-26-2005, 09:46 AM
America Sings wins hands down. I used to love that. I've tried Carousel of Progress several times, and never been able to get into it.

I liked both of them myself, I think I lean towards America sings... sure is nice to see some of the characters on Splash!

FYI:
COP opened July 2, 1967 (a Sunday), closed September 9, 1973 (a Sunday also)
AS opened June 29, 1974 (a Saturday), closed April 10, 1988 (a Sunday)

Ps. to the sysop, please add a polling function!

Klutch
08-26-2005, 10:01 AM
I was fortunate to have exprienced CoP many times before it left Disneyland. I was 9 when America Sings went in. While CoP was very charming and holds a nostalgic place in my heart, I honestly think America Sings was a better show.

America Sings was a very "Disney" attraction. It was heavy on animatronics, heavy on show and flowed well. The sound and lighting quality was outstanding, especially for the 1970's. Since the featured songs were actual American classics, the music was great.

I'm sure the management who decided to scrap America Sings saw it and Country Bear Jamboree as outdated novelties. Wonderful as these attractions were, as I understand it, both of these shows were having trouble drawing guests in their twilight years. Is my understanding correct?

lisap
08-26-2005, 10:29 AM
I miss America Sings, but I saw Carousel of Progress at MK last year and thought it was awesome. If I had to choose, I guess I would pick America Sings because it reminds me of being a kid at DL.

Opus1guy
08-26-2005, 10:44 AM
COP hands down.

Always thought American Sings was an OK show...a little too kiddie and at times cornball for my tastes...but nowhere near as great a show as COP. And that final "contemporary" Joy To the World scene which was supposed to show how "hip" Disney was back in 1974...was really embarrassing and actually just highlighted how much the then-current management (and perhaps even some of the older veteran Imagineers) were out-of-touch with the youth market of the day. And Guest Satisfaction Exit Surveys usually averaged only so-so. Many Guests found it literally painful to sit through, and that's never a good thing.

Other than the first couple of years when it was a fairly new attraction, attendance on it was dismal to say the least. And if proof is in tanking attendance numbers...

The worst was that it was in Tomorrowland. That whole business was ram-rodded through corporate in order to get an Americana show in place in time for the then upcoming 1976 American Bicentennial Celebration (which Disney kicked off it's Celebrations in 1975). Even most of the Imagineers that worked hard on it, cringed that it was going in Tomorrowland. It had no place being there. None. Zippo. There were many cheers at Imagineering (and within the public) when it was announced that America Sings was being closed for good.

It has been noted by Disney however, that America Sings does have a following of loyal fans out there.

With America Sings' closure, the hope was for finally getting a show worthy of the COP as a replacement in this great piece of Tomorrowland real estate. Instead, we got Innoventions. Not sure I'd rate that as worthy of COP's quality and show levels. But at least it fits in with the technological spirit of Tomorrowland.

Wendi
08-26-2005, 11:19 AM
I don't remember either of them at all... how sad. I am looking forward to seeing CoP in WDW next month though!

PapiBear
08-26-2005, 12:20 PM
I enjoyed America Sings for many years, but after I saw Carousel of Progress down in Florida, I found I liked that better. I loved both, though.

I agree with Opus1guy that as far as theming goes, Carousel of Progress wins because of the Tomorrowland location. America Sings, while a fun show, didn't really have to do with the world of tomorrow at all. It would have fit in better in Frontierland or probably Bear Country, thematically. Even more ideal would have been Liberty Square in the Magic Kingdom in Florida or at the American Adventure in EPCOT.