PDA

View Full Version : Anything good about DCA?

Pages : [1] 2

kinglouie1967
08-25-2005, 01:56 PM
I've read lots of negative comments here and elsewhere about DCA and, because I'm going there in October for the first time, I was wondering whether anyone had anything GOOD to say about the park.

I'm definitely going to check it out no matter what -- at least to ride Soarin' and, hopefully see the Electrical Parade (if it's still running at that time).

I've been to WDW many times, so I've done all the attractions at DCA that are similar: Tower of Terror, Grizzly River Run, It's Tough to be a Bug, Mulholland Madness and MuppetVision. While I like those attractions fine enough, I don't feel particularly passionate one way or the other about any of them.

So, what do you like about DCA that you would recommend to a first timer?

Gone2Disneyland
08-25-2005, 02:01 PM
My favorite things in DCA are Soarin', Grizzly River Rapids, Aladdin, MuppetVision, Tower of Terror, California Screamin', the BBQ dog at Award Weiners, the free tortillas, Tough To Be a Bug, and walking thru a bug's land. I've seen the new Block Party Bash and enjoy that too, but I think my goddaughter and her sister would enjoy it more. I haven't seen Crush yet.

SallySkellington
08-25-2005, 02:03 PM
DCA rules! Don't listen to those other people. :p

Must do's- Mulholland Madness, Soarin' Over California, and Grizzly River Run.

DangerMouse
08-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Sorry to tell you, but the EP won't be running in October. It's last day is Labor Day. It will be down until next summer.

We really enjoy DCA and go at least for a few hours every trip! We love the Animation Studio (Turtle Talk with Crush is the newest attraction here). You can also see see a princess and do some other fun interactive computer stuff in the Beast's Library. TOT is a blast! Make sure you wait for a front and center seat on Soarin. It's a great ride. GRR is fun, but don't assume that you'll only get damp. You can expect to be SOAKED, so plan accordingly. I'm not a big fan of the pier, and would only head that way if Screamin' were back up and running. I'm actually kind of glad Screamin is down for our next trip, so I won't have to kill my feet running over there for fast passes.

Muppets 3-D and It's Tough to be Bug are both really cute 3-D shows and worth seeing at least once. But since you say you've seen them, then no loss if you skip it.

My biggest gripe about DCA is the distance between big attractions. It is such a long hike from the Hollywood backlot to the pier. Sure wish they'd give us a short cut!

Enjoy DCA and have fun forming your own opinions!

Mrs. Newseditor44
08-25-2005, 02:05 PM
Try everything.

I know there are a lot of people who do not like the park but my family does because it gives us a break frm DL. Its a bit slower in pace and offers you a chance to "calm down" from the crowds at DL. When it gets too crowded at DL, we head over there and bring the kids to Bugs Land, which they just love. My youngest loves the ladybug ride more than the teacups because they tend to spin a bit faster. But yes, definitely check out Soarin.

Mark Mywords
08-25-2005, 02:23 PM
We love Soarin', the Bug's Land water jets, and GRR.

cosmicjive
08-25-2005, 02:24 PM
Soarin' Over California, Tower of Terror, and Grizzly River Run are all must-see attractions. California Screamin' also fit into this category, but is currently out of commission.

Department of Untapped Hilarity (DUH) is a show in the Hollywood Backlot that is enourmously entertaining. I'm not big on 3-D shows, but I really enjoy "It's Tough to be a Bug," because it isn't just a 3-D show -- the added effects are worth the trip. I'm less enthusiastic about Muppetvision (and I am a Muppet fan). Personally I think the Aladdin show is over-hyped -- I wasn't impressed, but it's probably fun for kids. Turtle Talk with Crush is interesting from a technical standpoint, but until they decide to re-write the script, it is painful to listen to -- dude.

Pretty much everything else (and there isn't much) is either too generic, or not entertaining enough to mention. The complaint with DCA is that there isn't enough to do -- but I put the big four (mentioned in the first paragraph) right up there with the best rides in Disneyland. Plan to spend a couple of hours doing DCA -- but you couldn't spend a whole day there if you tried (I did try recently, and by the third hour we realized that every single remaining attraction was a "show," and we were getting sick of watching shows -- we headed back over to Disneyland).

Some of this may lead you to believe that I am one of those "negative" people when it comes to DCA. I'm not really. I like DCA, but I think a lot of changes need to happen before it can stand on its own. In the meantime, I treat it as just another "land" in Disneyland. We hop over to do the E-ticket rides, then head back to Disneyland.

-Jeff "etumor"

Wendi
08-25-2005, 02:35 PM
There are a lot of good things at DCA... Soarin' Over California, California Screamin' (if it's back up by then!), ToT, Sun Wheel, Aladdin, Cucina Cucamonga, Disney's Electrical Parade.

D. Duck
08-25-2005, 02:44 PM
It's not crowded.

sand20go
08-25-2005, 02:47 PM
I agree with the suggestion to make it a 3/4 of a day park. Wake up late, wander over to DCA. Have fun riding the major rides and then wander back to your hotel. If it is up and running have fun watching the ELP. In some ways DCA is like WDW Animal Kingdom or MGM Themepark - a good park for5-7 hours of fun. The challenge with DL is that, baring serious comando strategy, it is a park you CAN NOT "do" in a day and so DCA suffers in comparison. As I noted in another thread, it also suffers some design flaws but I think those are what limit its appeal as a stand alone "destination" and a park that would generate paid repeat attendance by locals.

kimc0486
08-25-2005, 03:05 PM
I really like DCA. Good way to cool off and escape the crowds, my recomendation is to do all rides above mentioned (Soarin', GRR, TOT) Maliboomer is scary for me so I think it's pretty good def. not a themed ride by any means though. MM is also fun, not themed though. It's also great to shop there, they have some of the same stuff as DL and no lines!! Go in the afternoon though, for a reprieve from DL, save your mornings for DL. Paradise Pier looks AWESOME at night, great for pics! Have fun!

HydroGuy
08-25-2005, 03:20 PM
I've read lots of negative comments here and elsewhere about DCA and, because I'm going there in October for the first time, I was wondering whether anyone had anything GOOD to say about the park.

I'm definitely going to check it out no matter what -- at least to ride Soarin' and, hopefully see the Electrical Parade (if it's still running at that time).

I've been to WDW many times, so I've done all the attractions at DCA that are similar: Tower of Terror, Grizzly River Run, It's Tough to be a Bug, Mulholland Madness and MuppetVision. While I like those attractions fine enough, I don't feel particularly passionate one way or the other about any of them.

So, what do you like about DCA that you would recommend to a first timer?See my recent thread "Our Family is Hooked on DCA" for some positive but realistic feedback. http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?p=705469#post705469

yeo_foxe
08-25-2005, 03:33 PM

Animation Building!

JosieGirl71
08-25-2005, 03:50 PM
We loved DCA and it would be a shorter list to name the things we disliked. Of course, we didn't expect DCA to be as magical as Disneyland. We just expected to have a fun time there (and we did). :)

sand20go
08-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Actually I wanted to add one more thing......

Now a lot of people will "pan" Golden Dreams. I could do less with Woppie (whose jokes at the President will go down in the history of bad taste - and I voted against him twice). But the movie itself is really fairly good, lays out some important aspect of our state's history and the closing is really a nice tribute to some of the men and women that make our state great and who embody some of the traits that make California a unique place.

(Disclosure - I could watch The American Experience at WDW over and over and over.....got America, spread your golden wings playing in my head right now).

kinglouie1967
08-26-2005, 05:26 AM
Thanks everybody.

What we'll probably do is go to DCA after we arrive, eat lunch and check in to the hotel.

I really, really hope EP is running. That alone would make it worthwhile. There hasn't been an official announcement on that yet, has there?

stan4d_steph
08-26-2005, 05:55 AM
I actually enjoy the bread tour. I find the video at the beginning amusing. :) Try to go earlier in the day, when they're actually making bread. It's much more interesting.

PrincessMomma
08-26-2005, 07:37 AM
I agree with most on the rides ~ don't miss ToT or GRR! Soarin' is great, but, in my opinion, not a ride to do over and over. (like the other 2!!) Our 3 kids LOVE bugs land, but don't seem to want to ride those rides repeatedly like some of the Disneyland rides.

Just one other little thing about DCA that some like but some may not like: they serve alcohol, which is NOT served in Disneyland (except, I believe, Club 33?). I wouldn't usually care, but I do remember one early evening that getting a nice cold margarita from a stand outside really hit the spot after a long day on my feet and a lot of sun!!!

kimc0486
08-26-2005, 07:55 AM
I really, really hope EP is running. That alone would make it worthwhile. There hasn't been an official announcement on that yet, has there?

It's down as of Labor day weekend-summer. Sorry, I am missing it too, it's a big bummer!

rfaljean
08-26-2005, 08:35 AM
We really like DCA... We enjoy the different atmosphere, still Disneyesque, but not as "magical"... Soarin' is one of our must do's, as is GRR... Paradise Pier, I can take it or leave it, but the kids love CA Screamin'; Bug's land is done really nicely, I think...
not too many attractions crowded in, but with the theming, I really felt like Alice in Wonderland, 2 inches tall... Hollywood backlot is ok, can get really crowded w/Aladdin, TOT and Playhouse Disney. We love Aladdin, just don't sit in the balcony level, it takes a lot of the mystery out of the show... We enjoy the wharf-just mosey through, get some bread and tortillas...Gotta have the broccoli soup at the Pacific Wharf cafe-totally yummy....

It won't take too long to get through the park, so you shouldn't really need to rush. I think that is what I like the most about it. I can take my time and still see "it all". At Disneyland, while I love it more that chocolate, I still feel rushed most of the time.
DCA is a welcomed distraction.

Enjoy your trip!

spectromen
08-26-2005, 09:16 AM
Actually I wanted to add one more thing......

Now a lot of people will "pan" Golden Dreams. I could do less with Woppie (whose jokes at the President will go down in the history of bad taste - and I voted against him twice). But the movie itself is really fairly good,

Thank you sand for saying this first so I didn't have to feel embarassed :) I really like this show too and I fear that it may not make it past whatever they plan to do to makeover DCA next. The mural out front looks great at night, and the song sung by former "Aida" Heather Headley sounds great in there. If I were visiting the Park for the first time, I'd definitely make a point to see the show, especially in the middle of the day when shade is hard to come by.

DianeM
08-26-2005, 09:38 AM
I've read and made some very positive comments about DCA. I really enjoy TOT, Soarin over California, the Muppets 3D, It's tough to be a bug, and Grizzly River Rapids, as well as California Screamin (which is not operational now). I have stated that if I had to make a choice between the two parks, I would pick DL, but that's not really an insult. It's just that DL has a lot more memories for me. DCA isn't as magical, but it's a fun place to be. By all means, if you visit Disneyland, make DCA a part of your experience. It's especially fun to cool off on hot days by riding the Grizzly River Rapids.

Donald Duck Fan68
08-26-2005, 11:14 AM
I went to DCA for the first time in April, 2005. I hadn't formed an opinion of it before then, and I wasn't visiting Disney-based message boards before then either.

I really liked the park and had a lot of fun. I was there by myself for a conference, and I liked that DCA offered single rider passes (which any party can take advantage of, you will just likely not be riding together). ToT was my favorite ride, followed by Screamin', GRR, and Soarin'. I also liked the show in Hollywood's backlot that was mentioned already, Department of Untapped Hilarity (DUH). It's all improv and uses a lot of audience participation, making you feel a part of the magic.

I think one could spend the day there as a nice slower paced diversion from DL. Just mix in the shows between attractions, do some shopping along the way, ride the e-tickets and favorites twice, have a nice character experience lunch at Ariel's Grotto. If you've got kids, spend the hottest part of the day in Bug's land, since there's Dot's puddle park where they can get wet and cool off. You've got to check out the pier at night too.

Have fun!

mad4mky
08-26-2005, 12:45 PM
DCA rules! Don't listen to those other people. :p

Must do's- Mulholland Madness, Soarin' Over California, and Grizzly River Run.

Now see how people's opinions differ.

These are the 3 things I would NOT do at DCA. :(

Really.

You can go on a coaster anywhere, Mulholland Madness...is...eh, so-so...and I personally don't want to get wet and soggy when I know I have to walk around a busy park more.

But, I do love TOT, Soaring and the new "Turtle Talk' with Crush from the 'Finding Nemo' movie is the BEST (even when you are an adult). They did an A+ job with that one. :D

The Genii
08-26-2005, 12:46 PM
Don't listen to guys like Al Putz and the gang of "Shoulda', Coulda', Woulda'" whiners over at MiceAge. Disney's California Adventure is a fun park--you can spend many hours there having a great time.

Grizzly River Run is not the same as Kali River Rapids--it's much better
(between four and five minutes long).

Mulholland Madness is not the same as Primevel Whirl--it doesn't spin. That can be good or bad depending on your point of view.

Tower of Terror is not the same as the TOT in Orlando. I prefer the one in DCA because it's smoother and I like the new special effect. (I don't miss rolling out of one shaft into another while looking at glass display cases at all!)

The Aladdin show at the Hyperion Theater in DCA is extremely well done--best Broadway-style show I've ever seen at a theme park.

Golden Dreams is a great short film directed by an Oscar-Winning Dutch director. Well done.

Don't miss "Seasons of the Vine," a very brief film about the making of wine. It's well done with beautiful music and the theater is a cool, calm place.

"Soarin over California" is one of the best things WDI has done in many years--I've done it dozens of time and it never fails to amaze.

Regarding Muppet Vision 3D--my feeling is that if you're tired of the muppets then you're tired of life. I watch this flick everytime I'm in the park. Ditto for It's Tough to be a Bug. Top of the line Disney attraction.

The Animation Building contains one amazing thing after another.

Finally, the overlooked Heimlich's Chew Chew Train in Fliks Fun Faire is hysterical if you listen to what Heimlich is saying as he chugs around his little track. Funny stuff.