PDA

View Full Version : What do you bring into the hotel.

Pages : [1] 2

kohl
08-25-2005, 12:29 PM
I was wondering if anyone brought in anything like a toaster or anything to make food while you are there.

TowerofTerror
08-25-2005, 12:30 PM
why not get a room that has the stuff in there already

JosieGirl71
08-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Because we fly to DL, we don't bring anything like that. However, when we got to the beach for a weekend with family, we have been known to bring a rotisserie to make a prime rib. :D

Malcon10t
08-25-2005, 12:47 PM
I was wondering if anyone brought in anything like a toaster or anything to make food while you are there.
My daughter wouldn't let me bring our snow cone maker last trip. But, we haven't brought anything like a toaster. Most of the time, we stay at places with at least microwaves.

DangerMouse
08-25-2005, 12:52 PM
We're bringing a microwave to the HoJo next weekend b/c they only have microwaves in their home office rooms.

We like to reheat leftovers and have oatmeal for breakfast. Popcorn is always fun too!

Disney4Me
08-25-2005, 01:33 PM

We took a good knife to cut up fruit and whatnot last time we were there and also our own coffee pot as the little tiny one they gave us was too small.

disneyochem
08-25-2005, 04:37 PM
I always bring a corkscrew with me! ;)

TrekkieDad
08-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Last time I was at HoJo I brought a bicycle. :)

Whittibo
08-25-2005, 05:40 PM
We now stay at the Residence Inn that has EVERYTHING. Even a BBQ by the pool you can use! It's fantastic because we stay for extended lengths of time. This time will be 10 nights. I can't eat out for 11 days/10 nights, I would go bankrupt!

We do bring our own pillows though, and my kids (12, 10 & 6.5) bring their favorite blankets.

SCUBAbe
08-25-2005, 06:18 PM
I bring shirts, jeans, shorts, bras, underwear, toilettries, sometimes water and snack food, but no kitchen appliances. I don't totally trust the cleanliness of hotel rooms....I wouldn't want to cook in one.

rentayenta
08-25-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't bring appliances but I do bring my own pillows. I have to have my own pillows.

phillyorig
08-25-2005, 07:55 PM
I bring LOTS OF FOOD!!!!
Some frozen to nuke but mainly in cans or if i can cook to put together. Lunch meat, bread, mayo, mustard etc.

The place we stayed in June, had a toaster, coffee pot,nuker and refer. I brought a electric burner and I bought a small set of pots ( real cheap. I now use it for camping).
Hey, with 6 of us have to eat cheap.
Didn't have a prob with this electric burner but once in a place We stayed in Tucson, they had a full kitchen, I set off the smoke alarm! :). Had to call the front desk to say everything was all right ( nothing burned but alot of smoke ;) )

We drive BUT, when you fly, you might have a car. Go to the supermarket and get some sammy stuff, spagettio's(sp), milk, cereal,esp if your hotel has a refer.
Bring a can opener and plastic F,K,S and paper plates. Won't take up alot of room in a suit case, esp if you bring an extra suitcase for the STUFF you will buy! :)

SCUBAbe
08-25-2005, 08:26 PM
I don't bring appliances but I do bring my own pillows. I have to have my own pillows.

I stopped bringing my pillows after I saw the story on how dust mites are bad in hotels anfd the will get into your pillows and then you bring them home. I ahve feather pillows...they would LOVE those. I suppsoe they get in clothes also, btu I put those in a plastic bag and then they go straight into the washer....OMg ...I may be paranoid ...or have other complusive issues...*sigh*

Marox3
08-25-2005, 08:31 PM
For our usual 3 day trips to DL, I would pack - I kid you not - 7-10 bags of stuff. A bag for snacks, a bag for drinks, a ice chest with FULL SIZE coffee maker and all the fixin's, a bag of toys for my DS, the computer bag, a bag for all the personal stuff and medicines, and of course . . . . clothes.

When we check in I must have at least 10 singles on me for tipping. But, when we leave, add a couple extra bags from shopping.

Now, we have to fly.... this is going to be very difficult....I think I will need at 10 step program

olddumbguy
08-25-2005, 08:48 PM

I gotta chime in on this one. If I go anywhere, I bring all my personal pillows and my blanky. I have 2 pillows for under my head, 1 for between my legs, 1 for each side of me. Plus my wifes 2 head pillows I put my arm across. And another for the edge of the bed for me to put my arm across. Oh, and the 2 under my head.

I really cant travel without them. I dont fly either.

sjcivilady
08-25-2005, 08:51 PM
I stopped bringing my pillows after I saw the story on how dust mites are bad in hotels anfd the will get into your pillows and then you bring them home.
I like to bring my own pillow....would putting it in the dryer kill any mites? :eek:
Other than that, I've been bringing a light throw on my past few excursions - makes the room a little more homey. And I have to bring my usual bag of tiny candy bars - good to munch when you're in the park.

pretty Omi
08-25-2005, 08:57 PM
when i go on any trip, my family brings two large ice chests, stocked constantly with sodas and food items that need to keep cool such as meat, cheese and condiments for sandwiches, oh and hot dogs too, we brings a "box" it's really a large storage container of groceries, (bread, chips cereal, anything you would have at home that you regularly eat), a hot plate and pots, a george forman grill, we are currently looking for a microwave since we eat out quite a bit and not all hotels have microwaves... we usually have to hang on to the leftovers till we find one, we bring our own pillows and comforters, a tv & dvd player (most hotels actually do not permit you to hook your own dvd player to their tv's sooo... with an 11 year old sis this keeps her quiet), a suitcase full of all our shampoos, conditioners, and soaps from home (everyone uses something different... *sigh*) and lots of other stuff, not to mention we always overpack on clothes, and bring an extra suitcase simply for souvineers.... yup... this is why we have a big *** truck :D

SCUBAbe
08-25-2005, 08:57 PM
I like to bring my own pillow....would putting it in the dryer kill any mites? :eek:

I don't know...I also obsess over roaches. I'm convinced they are in every hotel and now reading about all the food people bring in I'm even more convinced. I store all our open food (chips, candy, turkey jerky) in large zip locked bags. Another thing that freaks me out is the shower. I don't think they clean them that well.....I speed shower in them...LOL

Disney4Me
08-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Other than that, I've been bringing a light throw on my past few excursions - makes the room a little more homey. And I have to bring my usual bag of tiny candy bars - good to munch when you're in the park.
Hmmm...not sure but maybe the freezer?

Disney4Me
08-25-2005, 09:00 PM
I stopped bringing my pillows after I saw the story on how dust mites are bad in hotels anfd the will get into your pillows and then you bring them home. I ahve feather pillows...they would LOVE those. I suppsoe they get in clothes also, btu I put those in a plastic bag and then they go straight into the washer....OMg ...I may be paranoid ...or have other complusive issues...*sigh*

Could you put your pillows in protective cases or bags? I have a thing about that top blanket that they don't wash much or so I have heard.

SCUBAbe
08-25-2005, 09:02 PM
Could you put your pillows in protective cases or bags? I have a thing about that top blanket that they don't wash much or so I have heard.

I'd rather just leave them at home. I do the easy thing...pick up the phone and say "i need alot of extra pillows brought up." it works like a charm and there's bound to be at least 2 really fluffy ones in the bunch...:)

hlbtimes2
08-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Another thing that freaks me out is the shower. I don't think they clean them that well.....I speed shower in them...LOL

Yep, and I would never consider getting in and taking a bath.

We dont take anything like others have mentioned. I dont even take my own hairdryer, shampoo or soap with me anymore. I used to, and realized I could use whats there. We eat out while on vacation. I will get small bottles (single serving) of milk, some fruit, and maybe muffins and take to our room. Its handy to have if the kids want breakfast before we are ready to leave our room for the day. But, I dont make a trip to the store. I just pick it up at places like whitewater snacks. I would rather slurge and spend a couple extra bucks, then go out of my way to get stuff. We only vacation every two years, so its easy to justify. This year we are doing concierge, so I wont need to buy, it I can just get it in the lounge.

DianeM
08-25-2005, 09:28 PM
We always stay in hotels with microwaves and fridges and coffeepots, but those are pretty useless unless we have flatware, bowls, and plates. I use an old plastic set of bowls/plates that was in a picnic basket that is long gone, and lightweight knive/fork/spoon. We eat mostly out, but I like to have a bowl of cereal in the morning (I bring it in ziploc bags) and I like leftovers. Knotts Berry Farm has a terrific chicken take-out place, and it's a short drive from Disney. You don't have to pay for parking - they have special short term parking right in front of the stores. Mmmmm - Knotts Boysenberry Pie. :-)

chickyb
08-26-2005, 06:54 AM
You probably already do this, but it might help you feel less squeamish about showering in the hotel if you wear thongs/flip-flops in the shower. Keeps your feet off of the nasty floor. I always bring a pair not only to wear to and from (and around!) the pool, but to keep my feet from touching the nasty shower floor.

I don't know...I also obsess over roaches. I'm convinced they are in every hotel and now reading about all the food people bring in I'm even more convinced. I store all our open food (chips, candy, turkey jerky) in large zip locked bags. Another thing that freaks me out is the shower. I don't think they clean them that well.....I speed shower in them...LOL

sierranevada
08-26-2005, 07:02 AM
Besides the usual food, snacks and water, I always bring my Charmin :p ! I just can't use the sandpaper that passes for toilet tissue at the DLR hotels!