PDA

View Full Version : Golden HorseShoe and the Billy show (food?)

EvanRude
08-24-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm wanting to see the Billy show around lunch time. I remember seeing the show but, can not remember the food situation.
Do you get food at the Golden HorseShoe outside or inside the show? I would guess it's not table service. Going with a large group.
Thanks

Andrew
08-24-2005, 12:45 PM
It's not table service, but the counter service inside the Golden Horseshoe is reasonably quick; they open the doors to the theater in plenty of time for everyone to get some food and find seats. They have the best chili cheese fries!

EvanRude
08-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Yary cool,
I remember from long ago that it was good food and a great show. Take care of two things at once.
Thanks

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-24-2005, 01:38 PM
They use to have burgers and such. Now they have fried foods, chicken, fish and mozzarella fried. YUMMY and fattening!

DangerMouse
08-24-2005, 02:50 PM
They also have funnel cakes! YUMMMMM! But be careful eating a funnel cake while you are watching the show. Nothing like having funnel cake shoot out your nose. (Yes, I was laughing that hard!) :D

potzbie
08-24-2005, 05:55 PM
Having seen "Billy Hill and the Hillbillies" more than 20 times now at the Golden Horseshoe, I do have some favorite food at the Golden Horseshoe.
• Strawberry parfait
• Chili in a sourdough bread bowl

I tried the fish one time, just for a change, and it was okay, but not memorable.

Here is the service: You stand in line, single file, at the saloon bar (i.e., counter), to order and pickup your food, like any DL place (e.g., Pizza Port; Club Buzz; Village Hous Restaurant, etc.), and then take you cafeteria platter to your chosen table.

Tip: Grab a table first, to stake it out, BEFORE you get in line for food.
Tip: The two booths at stage right and stage left go fast, but are the closest seats to the action.
Tip: The balcony is an option, but the preferred seating is on the ground floor, due to line-of-sight considerations.

Regarding the MUSIC at Golden Horseshoe.
Let me add some info for DL regulars.
The members of BILLY HILL & THE HILLBILLIES and the members of MINER FORTY-NINERS (in DCA) often pinch-hit for each other.
I always check out both groups, BH&TH and M49s, whenever I go to DL and DCA.

BH&TH has a website, and they have a CD available.
The original members of M49 have a web site. -- See THE BARN CATS.
A couple of the individual members of M49 have a CD available.

Like I posted before, when I go to DL and DCA, I go to check out the music acts, moreso than the rides.
The Dapper Dans; The Trashcan Trio; Farley the Fiddler, Bayou Brass; etc., cause me to pause in my original plans, to listen.

truesally
08-24-2005, 07:45 PM
I recently printed a menu from the Stage Door Cafe/Golden Horseshoe - they are listed as the same place...Is that accurate? And if so, it is all fried stuff - no chili in sourdough bowl :crying: Not that I have anything against a chicken or cheese strip but the chili sounded extra yummy...

BTW, thank you, potzbie, for the great rundown on how to order/where to sit. I am making notes in my notebook right now :D I guess I should make sure, however, that they will be having performances throughout the fall? We'll be there the week before Thanksgiving...

Gone2Disneyland
08-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Tip: Grab a table first, to stake it out, BEFORE you get in line for food.
Tip: The two booths at stage right and stage left go fast, but are the closest seats to the action.
Tip: The balcony is an option, but the preferred seating is on the ground floor, due to line-of-sight considerations.

EvanRude, these are great tips to be aware of, esp. if you are going with a large group as you say. Grab where you want to sit first before you do anything else. Chances are everyone else will be doing the same thing once they open the doors.

Also, the Billys (that's the name on their CD, by the way) tend to engage those sitting it the booths and the tables at the foot of the stage more, either asking where they're from to try and make some good-natured jokes at their expense, or mugging directly at you from the stage for the audiences' benefit.

Gone2Disneyland
08-24-2005, 07:53 PM
I recently printed a menu from the Stage Door Cafe/Golden Horseshoe - they are listed as the same place...Is that accurate? And if so, it is all fried stuff - no chili in sourdough bowl :crying: Not that I have anything against a chicken or cheese strip but the chili sounded extra yummy...

That's correct. The Stage Door Cafe and the Golden Horseshoe share the same menu. (BTW, potzbie, I actually like their fish and chips, tho' it may be because my expectation was incredibly low that day. :p But I've had them again since and still like 'em. On the pricey side, tho'.)

I guess I should make sure, however, that they will be having performances throughout the fall? We'll be there the week before Thanksgiving...

If you haven't already, you can bookmark the Disneyland calendar link to check.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/monthly/monthly?name=CalendarMonthlyPage

I Heart Disneyland!
08-24-2005, 07:58 PM
They have the best chili cheese fries!

There are chili cheese fries at DL? And I never found them? Holy cow...looks like another heart clogging meal I will have to enjoy on the October trip! Thanks Andrew!!!

MrsG
08-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Don't forget about the HUGE chocolate cake!

Gone2Disneyland
08-24-2005, 08:05 PM

Yeah, I was wondering about that, if they still had it. It was a five-layer cake, and for a while when they had a burger menu I don't think they offered it. Then I think I saw it there on my last visit in July, but I spent all my money on the fish and chips. :p I noticed the parfait too, which did look good.

Wendi
08-24-2005, 08:06 PM
I wish they still had sandwiches... and servers too! It's hard to find a good sandwich in DL these days, deep fryers are taking over!!! hehehe

RStar
08-24-2005, 08:09 PM
Do they still have that? (I think it was the seven layer cake?) It was to die for (and share, to big for one person!)!

truesally
08-24-2005, 08:09 PM
There are chili cheese fries at DL? And I never found them? Holy cow...looks like another heart clogging meal I will have to enjoy on the October trip! Thanks Andrew!!!

Hate to be the bearer of bad news (but don't want you crying your less-clogged heart out at the park) but there are no chili cheese fries on the menu I printed...And it was supposedly updated in April of this year. I got it at http://allearsnet.com/dlr/din/menu (thanks to whomever posted this link before - I was thrilled, although it provided more fodder for my so-called-friends' geek jokes... :eek: )

I Heart Disneyland!
08-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Hate to be the bearer of bad news (but don't want you crying your less-clogged heart out at the park) but there are no chili cheese fries on the menu I printed...And it was supposedly updated in April... :eek: )

Well, since you are also in Washington, I will cut you some slack! ;) Glad to know they aren't there, I won't think about them from now til October this way! haha!

Stupid_American
08-25-2005, 06:28 AM
Maybe they have given it up since, but I have seen the chili-in-a-the-bread-bowl since the fish/chicken/cheese changeover at the Golden Horseshoe.

BigAlH
08-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Since we are vegitarians we weren't interested in the chilli bowls, so what I did was pick up some gumbo bread bowls just over at NOS and brought them in. We got our drinks and the oh-so-wonderful chocolate cake there.

dsny1mom
08-25-2005, 12:18 PM
As of July 18th 2005, they still served chilli in a bread bowl and the mile high chocolate cake. I don't know about the chilli cheese fries as my daughter had them at DCA the day before and didn't ask about them at GHS.

During one of our visits to the GHS one of the CMs there was telling people, who were complaning about the long line to get food, that they could go to Stage Door and get the same food, as they have the same menu. I don't think that is true as I don't think you can get chilli in a bread bowl there or the chocolate cake. But I could be wrong!

dsny1mom

Gone2Disneyland
08-25-2005, 12:31 PM
During one of our visits to the GHS one of the CMs there was telling people, who were complaning about the long line to get food, that they could go to Stage Door and get the same food, as they have the same menu. I don't think that is true as I don't think you can get chilli in a bread bowl there or the chocolate cake. But I could be wrong!

dsny1mom, I'm almost positive that you are correct. The Stage Door Cafe and Golden Horseshoe both sell off the deep-fried menu (fish, chicken, cheese items), but I'm pretty sure they then each offer some different things after that.

Btw, I'm constantly checking this thread because I can "eat" vicariously at the GHS while reading all the posts! :p I love GHS and the entertainment offered by BH&tHB, and I think I need to fix very soon.

Crazy4Mickey
08-25-2005, 01:06 PM

dsny1mom
According the info I found this is correct. Here is a site that has a picture of the menu. :)

http://www.themouseforless.com/tripplanning/menus/dl/stagedoorcafe.shtml

truesally
08-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Thanks to Crazy4Mickey's link, I went to the mouseforless site and looked up the Golden Horseshoe menu (instead of the Stage Door Cafe) and lo & behold - there are the elusive chili products! So go crazy dreaming of the oozy goodness in bread bowls & on french fries - it still exists! :eek: I am so there this fall...

Direct link for doubters & droolers: http://www.themouseforless.com/tripplanning/menus/dl/goldenhorseshoe.shtml

enjoy!