PDA

View Full Version : Anaheim Plaza Hotel - Good or bad?

Pages : [1] 2

jrsharp21
08-23-2005, 07:46 PM
I have read numerous reviews at MP, Travelocity, and tripadvsior. Any MPers want to share their opinions?

Leap for Joy
08-23-2005, 09:06 PM
We stay at the Plaza often.

Pros: The restaurant has a good breakfast buffet and kids eat free with adult purchase. The pool is gorgeous and huge. The walk to DL is short (similar to the Hojo distance, but no hill). The staff is friendly and helpful. The price is very good. The grounds are nicely landscaped and maintained. The parking lot is appropriately sized. Ground floor rooms have a patio, upstairs rooms have a balcony. Most rooms have refrig and microwave (be sure to request on your reservation).

Cons: It's an older place, so it's a bit run down. The vanity area is inside the toilet/shower area, but there are mirrors on the closet doors to use when someone else is in the restroom. No free continental breakfast (though maybe this should be on the pros list!).

DisneylandForever
08-23-2005, 09:15 PM
There's no hill on the way to the HoJo's.

The Anaheim Plaza is a very decent hotel. I agree that it is noticeably older than a lot of the others on "the strip." The pool is huge, but only clean about 75% of the time I've been there. Since I don't "have to" go swimming when I visit DL, that never really bothers me. It bothers my cousin though (my consistent DL partner), so we rarely stay there anymore. But personally I would stay there again, mainly because they are relatively close (corner of Harbor and Disney Way), and they always seem to be reasonably priced. In fact if he doesn't come with me to the Fall MA, I probably will end up there.

jrsharp21
08-24-2005, 06:40 AM
Thanks guys. We had to move our trip back by a day (Oct 8-10) and the Carousel Inn couldn't accomidate us. So we are looking for a new hotel. I see the Anaheim Plaza Inn is only $50 a night for those two nights. Ramada Inn Maingate is only $65. Trying to decide which one to do.

DisneylandForever
08-24-2005, 07:08 AM
Thanks guys. We had to move our trip back by a day (Oct 8-10) and the Carousel Inn couldn't accomidate us. So we are looking for a new hotel. I see the Anaheim Plaza Inn is only $50 a night for those two nights. Ramada Inn Maingate is only $65. Trying to decide which one to do.

The Saga? That's right across the street from the Plaza. If the extra 30 bucks won't hurt ya, I would choose the Ramada. The rooms are nicer IMO. I prefer the Carousel too, but since they can't accommodate you, the Ramada Maingate is a good back up.

Actually, I may have a tip for ya. What site did you see the 65/night rate on? And, was it the Maingate, or the Maingate North? If it was the regular Maingate, the address would be 1650 S Harbor.

jrsharp21
08-24-2005, 07:13 AM
It's the Ramada Main Gate right across from the Anaheim Plaza.

I think the $65 rate was on Expedia or Travelocity. Can't remember.

hookem59
08-24-2005, 07:27 AM
We stayed at the AP in June 2004, and had no problems with it at all. We may have dipped a toe in the pool, but really didn't spend all that much time at the hotel other than for sleeping. The walk to DL isn't too bad, and you go right past a couple of restaurants where you can get a good breakfast fairly cheaply.

nursemelis374
08-24-2005, 07:29 AM
I have seen the same 65 dollar rate at the Maingate Radisson for the MA weekend.

DisneylandForever
08-24-2005, 07:32 AM
It's the Ramada Main Gate right across from the Anaheim Plaza.

I think the $65 rate was on Expedia or Travelocity. Can't remember.

Cool! Then this may work for you.

The Ramada chain is part of "Trip Rewards." They have a program that gives you the first night free if you book a reservation with them, then find a lower rate on a competing website. I just checked their rate on www.triprewards.com (http://www.triprewards.com/ip-tr/Index.jsp), and their rate is 79/night.

So what I recommend doing is this:

1. Go to their site and sign up for trip rewards.
2. Make a reservation on their site for the Ramada Maingate, and be sure to enter your trip rewards #.
3. Take your reservation # and immediately fill out the Best Guaranteed Rate (http://tr.triprewards.com/TripRewards/control/best_rate_guarantee) form on their site, and you'll get the first night free!

It would be at the 79/night rate, but only for the one night, so divided by 2 that's basically 40 bucks a night, before tax. Now that may seem like a lot of work, but it's not to me! ;) I have done it at least 3 times, and it's worked every time.

But, even if you don't wanna do all that, I still recommend the Maingate over the Plaza. :)

nursemelis374
08-24-2005, 07:34 AM
DLF-Which do you think is better, Maingate or HoJo?

jrsharp21
08-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Sweet!! I think I will try to do this.

DisneylandForever
08-24-2005, 07:40 AM
DLF-Which do you think is better, Maingate or HoJo?

I do really like the Maingate mel, but IMO the HoJo is the best hotel on "the strip." I would choose the HoJo every time, and pay up to maybe 10 or 15 a night more. Any more than that I would just save the $$ and stay at the Maingate. It doesn't sound like much, but 30 bucks is dinner at the Blue Bayou! :D

nursemelis374
08-24-2005, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the advice. Blueckles, Christine and I are trying to figure out where to stay for MA and we have never stayed off property so we are clueless.

jrsharp21
08-24-2005, 07:51 AM
It looks like TripRewards has the rates for Ramada Inn Maingate as $79 for the first night and $59 the second night. Will this still work with the $69 a night rate I found at Orbitz? Or since it averages to $69 a night they will call it a wash?

DisneylandForever
08-24-2005, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the advice. Blueckles, Christine and I are trying to figure out where to stay for MA and we have never stayed off property so we are clueless.

Well I have stayed at every hotel on the strip at one point or another, so please PM me if you have questions on any hotel mel! You know I'm happy to help.

DisneylandForever
08-24-2005, 07:56 AM
It looks like TripRewards has the rates for Ramada Inn Maingate as $79 for the first night and $59 the second night. Will this still work with the $69 a night rate I found at Orbitz? Or since it averages to $69 a night they will call it a wash?

Blast! Yeah because the 59/night rate is lower, they would use that. Sorry I just checked the site real quick and saw 79/night. In that case it's a judgment call. I really like the Maingate, but if you want to save money, the Plaza certainly isn't a bad hotel.

jrsharp21
08-24-2005, 08:02 AM
Well it is a good trick and I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the help DisneylandForever.

DisneylandForever
08-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Well it is a good trick and I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the help DisneylandForever.

No problem! I hope everything works out for you.

squuggy
08-24-2005, 10:04 AM
I stayed at the Anaheim Plaza on my last trip (Oct 2004). On a scale of 1-10 (Ten being "amazing-wow" and 1 being "I wouldn't want my worst enemy to have to spend the night there") I would rate it a 6: clean comfortable rooms, reasonably good service, excellent location. If it is the chaper of your options you would be well advised to choose this hotel and use the money saved to splurge on something you couldn't otherwise afford.

CariBelle
08-24-2005, 12:20 PM
We stayed at the Ramada Maingate/Saga a few weeks ago and it was horrible. I won't ever stay there again.

jrsharp21
08-24-2005, 01:48 PM
We stayed at the Ramada Maingate/Saga a few weeks ago and it was horrible. I won't ever stay there again.

Well, can you explain further on that.

CariBelle
08-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Here is my review from the review section: (plus I ended up with a head cold from sleeping in that stinky smoking room)

I had read several bad reviews of this hotel (here and on tripadvisor.com) but since it is so close to the front gate, I decided to take a chance. I totally made the wrong choice. We paid $109 for one Saturday night, standard room. When I made the reservation, the room was supposed to be: 2 Queen beds, fridge and microwave, non-smoking, with a mirror/vanity/sink outside of the bathroom. When we got to our room we had: 2 Double beds, no fridge or microwave, no sink/vanity outside of the bathroom, and a smoking room. I complained to the front desk but they had no more rooms available.

When we got up on Sunday morning we discovered that the shower head was positioned about 5.5 feet from tub (meaning that we all had to hunch down to shower) and the tub drain was SO SLOW. I ended up standing in at least 4 inches of water at the end of my shower. The tiles in the bathroom were grimy and the carpet in the room felt dirty.

I won't be stayed at this hotel again.

jrsharp21
08-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Anyone know where the "newer" or nicer rooms are at the Anaheim Plaza?

Wifey is having second thoughts about trying to book here.

stan4d_steph
08-25-2005, 08:50 AM
Here is my review from the review section: (plus I ended up with a head cold from sleeping in that stinky smoking room)That's awful! Are you saying you submitted a review to the MP Review system? It would be great if you added your viewpoint since there aren't many recent reviews of this hotel. If you did submit, it may still be in the pipeline to be uploaded. :)

sjcivilady
08-25-2005, 12:15 PM
Anyone stayed at the Del Sol lately? I've reserved it for my trip in Nov. $70/night with tax. thanks, Joan