PDA

View Full Version : Monorail problem?

2CN
02-21-2002, 03:46 PM
Heard a blip on the news about some problem at Disneyland, and it looked as if a monorail was stopped dead- sadly, looked like the red monorail :(- and they were using a ladder to get people off.. just wondering if anyone else has any details about what happened?? KCAL 9 of course said they were going to go back to it after a comercial break, and didn't.

Not Afraid
02-21-2002, 03:59 PM
I was there until about 2:00 today and the Monorails were running just fine. No sign of trouble.

2CN
02-21-2002, 04:35 PM
This was around 3:30ish when I saw it on the news.

MonorailMan
02-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Also saw it on news, Red apparntly had not been fixed correctly. :)

Oh well, wish I would of been on that trip! :)

Hades
02-21-2002, 06:14 PM
I got out of work early today (12:45) and I also heard about this on the news. From what the channel 4 news said (here in Los Angeles), it was a power loss that shut the monorail down.

What has me confused is this: Many years ago, I was one the old bubble top monorails when it broke down. We were towed back to the monorail station by a diesel powered monorail work engine. I have seen 2 of these engines on the tracks before. Why wasn't one of them used to tow the monorail back to the station as we were back in the past??:confused:

The reason for the breakdown of the old monorail I was on was a blow out of one of the tires in the middle section. I would think that if this breakdown was of an electrical nature, that the wheels of the monorail would be put into neutral, so as to be free to be towed.

If any CM has the inside scoop or information, I would like to know why the diesel work engines were not used. The images of guests having to be rescued by the Anaheim Fire Dept. by ladder is just another media black eye that the Disneyland Resort really does not need.

This next statement is entirely speculation, but have the labor cut backs gone so deep that we no longer have any maintainance CM's available to operate the diesel engines? :eek:

MonorailMan
02-21-2002, 06:40 PM
Also, I hate how the media reall plays it up, jeeze no one got injured or killed.

Hate The Headline
"Trouble In The Magic Kingdom, Monorail Goes Haywire"
Drives mr mad :mad:

Napsto
02-21-2002, 08:40 PM
yea, they probably towed it after th people got off.

stan4d_steph
02-21-2002, 09:21 PM
Here's a link to a news item:

http://www.ocnow.com/news/special/story20.html

Not much more detail than has been discussed here, but it's confirmation.

Ralph Wiggum
02-21-2002, 09:24 PM
Or the tow truck runs on the same power as the monorail therefore there is no power for the tow to use :-\...just a thought!

Nigel2
02-21-2002, 10:02 PM
From where it was it almost looked like it was partially on the track switch or too close to the switch for the towing engine to come out and move it, so that may have been why it wasn't towed.

TerryTiger
02-21-2002, 10:22 PM
I came out of the Golden Horseshoe around 4 PM and there was a line of 3 helicopters hovering stationary over the western edge of the park above the Rivers of America all facing east as well as 2 circling on the eastern edge of the park. Couldn't figure out what was going on while there as all the CMs were mum. The roar of all those helicopters was certainly distracting in the park. I did notice that both the Railroad and Monorail were not running at that time.

KarmaKid
02-21-2002, 10:38 PM
Why is this even an Issue? This is so lame. And as for Al's Breaking News Story, grow up ! He's incinuates that the monorail system is going to collapse and just like the Churros...he's here to save the day!

That's enough sarcasm... It's late, and here is the real story, Monorail 101... now get over it... I guess it must have been a slow news day for 6 choppers to fly over head to watch some old fat lady get walked down on a ladder.

Karma Kid

BiggJakeMoney
02-21-2002, 11:17 PM
Hehehe, KarmaKid.....actually laughed out loud reading your post.

I'm not usually one to find fault, but really Al, come on! You make it sound as if the Monorail is going to implode into a hundred million pieces, and then the pieces are going burn, and then the ashes are going to undergo atomic fusion, and then the world is going to leave orbit, and then we all perish like dogs in flames.....

Hehehe, okay, a little hyperbole there, sorry. Anyways, yes, it is not that big a deal. The monorail broke down. Got it. Does it really need huge, obnoxious text screaming at us about it's malfunction? You'd think California had broken off from the mainland and was floating on a collision course with Hawaii or something. Eeesh.

And "threw a brake shoe"? Come now. That thing probably has 50 brake shoes, I highly doubt that that was the contributing factor to it's breakdown.

Let's all say "Overreaction" together on three....

-BJM

Gemini Cricket
02-22-2002, 02:22 PM
Here's the LA Times article:
http://www.latimes.com/editions/orange/la-000013565feb22.story

DisneyDody
02-22-2002, 02:36 PM
I can't believe they're making this into a big news story. It's so uneventful.

Techie7
02-22-2002, 02:58 PM
I talked with my dad in Fresno (four hours away) and he asked me about the monorail. It made the news there. It is amazing how such a little incident gets blown up.

2CN
02-22-2002, 03:58 PM
Its Disney.. they all seem to love to make a big thing about anything 'bad' happening at Disneyland.

Hades
02-22-2002, 06:16 PM
*Quote: Or the tow truck runs on the same power as the monorail therefore there is no power for the tow to use :-\...just a thought!*

Hey Ralph Wiggum,

the Monorail maintainence engines are diesel powered, therefore require no elecrical charge from the track to run. FYI.:cool:

Morrigoon
02-22-2002, 06:20 PM
It was "news" when the fire trucks got involved. Anything involving an emergency vehicle being spotted at a theme park "looks" bad, and therefore, is considered newsworthy. If it took the fire dept to evacuate Matterhorn every time it went 101, that would make news too.

Hades
02-22-2002, 06:29 PM
From where it was it almost looked like it was partially on the track switch or too close to the switch for the towing engine to come out and move it, so that may have been why it wasn't towed.

Nigel2

You are absolutely right! That would make the use of the maintainence engines impossible. Thanks for the insight!
;)

Nigel2
02-22-2002, 09:31 PM
I am taking a cyber bow now.:D

I once saw mono orange I beleve (years ago) being towed for some reason, but the nosecone's door was open and the capitan was doing a rowing motion while she was being towed.:D

Uncle Dick
03-04-2002, 10:21 PM
I was there the day the poor ol' monorail broke down. I knew that something was up with all the news 'copters hovering over the park, but I thought something had happened over by the Rivers of America (another fallen tree, train derailment, etc.) so I took the next available train (once they started working again) around the park. As the train passed "it's a small world", the recorded spiel continued with "…if you look above you may catch a glimpse of a Mark V monorail…". Sure enough, there it was: A Mark V monorail sitting powerless near the switch with three engineer type guys standing around looking at it. Just thought it was funny the way the train spiel perfectly matched the situation. :)