PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain & children

Pages : [1] 2

Rteneyck
08-22-2005, 03:42 PM
We are going to Disneyland in September and my daughter is turning 5. I am trying to determine if I should let her ride SM or not. She loves roller coasters and she has done TOT once before, but I don't know if the new SM would be too intense for her. Any thoughts would be appreciated since I have not been on it since the refurb.

potterphreak
08-22-2005, 03:44 PM
What I would do is ride it myself to see how it is (since I haven't been on it since the refurb either) and then if you think she can handle it and she is the right height, go for it. :fez:

adriennek
08-22-2005, 03:47 PM
If she loves TOT and likes roller coasters, I think it's a safe bet, myself. I won't let my 7-y/o on TOT yet because I don't think he'll handle it well but he loves Space.

With my 7-y/o I find that he's best when he's informed. So before we go on a new ride with him, we tell him what's on it. That seems to take care of a lot of his negative anticipation. So if anxiety is an issue, I'd tell her ahead of time what to expect.

Adrienne

Susan L
08-22-2005, 03:54 PM
I haven't been on it since the refurb either. But, from what I hear it is a smoother ride then before. Does you DD want to go on it? If so I would let her.

ToursbabeC3po
08-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Most 5 year olds are fine on space mountain but every child is different. Like others have said if she can handle TOT it is almost a safe bet she will be fine on Space. There are no big drops just sharp, fast turns.
Have Fun!!
Toursbabe

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
08-22-2005, 05:00 PM
My son will be 4 in September and is tall enough to ride on Space. He has been on Matterhorn (just one time), BTMRR (he loved it), and Splash (has no desire to go back on that). He also adores Gadget's. But I think Space might scare him. I will ride it and see. He thinks of it as a scarey ride and has already talked about having to be bigger to go on it.

MMF71
08-22-2005, 05:12 PM
My son just turned 6 last week while we were in DL. My son rode Space Mountain and just LOVED!!!!! He says it is one of his favorites rides at DL.

I say if your DD wants to go on it, go for it!
It is a blast!

ToursbabeC3po
08-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Mommy if your son has problems with the dark or loud noises I would not do it. If he is fine with both of those then go for it :-) The new sound track is very loud and new effects are disorienting. It sounds like he is a bit scared on the bigger rides and I think that TOT, Indy, and Space are that scary rides in the park for young ones.
Have fun!!!
Toursbabe

disney06
08-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Everybody likes diffrent rides...

samdisneylandca
08-22-2005, 06:29 PM
same track lay out with new effects smother ride

Doug
08-22-2005, 06:37 PM
SM is *VERY* smooth.... the only "problem" is that towards the end of the ride it gets very fast, producing "G-face", which I think kids would go nuts for .... Best bet is to ride to the LEFT of your child has most of the turns are to the right, so if your child goes anywhere, they run into your, rather than the side of the car, which would probably make them feel more secure, IMHO....

kinglouie1967
08-22-2005, 06:39 PM
I would take her on it. Either she'll love it or she'll hate it. Either way, it will be memorable. More so if she hates it.

What's the worst that can happen? The girl hates it, can't stop crying, someone snitches to your local child-welfare agency and they take your child away? Highly unlikely.

Obviously, you want her to love it. But even if she really hates it, she'll most likely get over it at some point in her life without much psychiatric intervention. And then she'll look back on this traumatic time in her life and you two will share a wonderful laugh together. A win-win situation.

DwoernAdale
08-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Our four year old rode it on our trip 2 weeks ago and it became her favorite ride in the park. The third time we went on she was squealing so I felt(its dark I tells ya!) to see how she was and put my arm around her and she had her arms straight up in the air!

She was doing the same on ToT not long after. Nothing like getting to the ride photo area and seeing an elevator full of adults gripping onto their seats grimacing, and a beautiful little blonde girl with her hands in the air grinning from ear to ear. Priceless.

Thats how mine reacted, thank goodnes, ymmv.

LoveDL
08-22-2005, 07:48 PM
My kids rode it when they were 5yrs. old, they liked it, but were not crazy about it. When we went back the next year, they REALLY liked it!
Dawn

losaitkens
08-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Our 5 year old went on it for the 1st time and enjoyed it and she is not a fan of dark rides generally. It is pretty smooth and very fast and Makenna really enjoyed the feeling of being in the stars. I think ToT and even the Matterhorn was more intense for her than Space Mountain.

with_5
08-22-2005, 07:53 PM
We just got back from a 5 day trip to Disneyland. Space Mountain was the favorite ride for my 12, 5 & 4 year old. We must have rode it 10 times.

disney jones
08-22-2005, 09:50 PM
My 6-1/2 yr old LOVES it. She rode it 4 times one day last trip, and her very first trip on it she went by herself in the front row :eek: (another Mom took her while i watched my youngest.)

And now I'm to take my 4 yr old on it Thursday and Friday - she's now tall enough i think (40"), and i'm pretty sure she'll love it too.

mraw
08-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Different people have different reactions. I have a friend who was made to ride Space Mountain when she was younger, and she is traumatized by the thought of that ride to this day, and she's over 30. She told me that all she could remember were the flashing blue lights (WDW's version). It's kinda sad when I look at it through her eyes and see someone so scared of a ride that I absolutely love.

ToursbabeC3po
08-22-2005, 10:38 PM
I would take her on it. Either she'll love it or she'll hate it. Either way, it will be memorable. More so if she hates it.

Too funny :~D

sgtsloth
08-22-2005, 10:42 PM

Too funny :~D

Too true! My first memory of thunder mountain is terrifying. I wouldn't ride a roller coaster for years after that. So... every kid's different. I finally rode Space Mountain after my little sister started riding it. I was shamed into it.

TowerofTerror
08-23-2005, 06:13 AM
It`s a great ride for kids if they meet the height requirement.The ride is nothing is all in the dark.The ride isn't scary unless they like the dark. The ride is say big thunder in the dark

Rteneyck
08-23-2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks so much for all of the input. After reading all of the different experiances, and since my daughter is a ride junkie (like her mom) I think she will be okay. If not --- she won't go on it again.

Skunker
08-23-2005, 09:38 AM
What about a child who likes roller coasters, but get nauseus on anything that too "spinny"? Any input on that? If it's like Big Thunder, but dark, he'll probably be ok...I just don't want to get barfed on. he he (he is 6 by the way and both he and his dad will be taking Dramamine on our trip - the wimps)
:)

My2kidsrule
08-23-2005, 10:04 AM
My son (almost 5) likes to be able to see what the ride is. I've shown him videos of all the rides before he goes on (whenever possible). He wants to make informed decisions. He didn't go on Soarin' until he'd seen the little thing on it on the Disney DVD. Same with BTMRR. He doesn't want to do the Haunted Mansion because, as he says, "It's still a little too spooky for me."

I'm hoping for a video of space before I try to get him on. He saw that silly promo bit on the Disney DVD and says he wants to do it, but we'll see.

I use myself and my brother as a guide. I went on it the first year it opened (I was 5). My brother refused until he was 11. Each kid is different.

Just PLEASE don't be one of those parents who tries to force them on with the "it'll be OK" spiel. ** personal story alert ** When I was 9 and my brother was 6, my dad took us. My brother got into the load area and lost it. He was scared anyway, but he heard the noise and the rumbling of the ride and decided he wasn't ready yet. My dad carried him on, giving him that spiel. They had to hold the train and let him off because he was screaming so much. At that moment, a parental mental note was made that I've never forgotten.

percytheguineapig
08-23-2005, 10:11 AM

What's the worst that can happen? The girl hates it, can't stop crying, someone snitches to your local child-welfare agency and they take your child away? Highly unlikely.

Obviously, you want her to love it. But even if she really hates it, she'll most likely get over it at some point in her life without much psychiatric intervention. And then she'll look back on this traumatic time in her life and you two will share a wonderful laugh together. A win-win situation.

Good stuff kinglouie - I like the way you think.

I've told my wife the same thing when trying to get our 3-yr old to ride Matterhorn.

I share you're warped sense of humor.