PDA

View Full Version : CD Boxed Set

kimc0486
08-22-2005, 02:54 PM
I was looking to buy this soon...is this the same on thats going for like $120 on Disney Direct, if not what is the difference?? Thanks.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=4104255

PapiBear
08-22-2005, 02:56 PM
I was looking to buy this soon...is this the same on thats going for like $120 on Disney Direct, if not what is the difference?? Thanks.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=4104255

Yeah, that's it. The only real difference is the lack of the "Walt Disney Takes You To Disneyland" vinyl album (which, if you don't have a turntable, is essentially just a collector's item anyway). That album is also available on CD separately if you MUST have it, both at the Park and through Amazon.com.

See here - http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showpost.php?p=691794&postcount=11

The Genii
08-22-2005, 05:36 PM
$80 instead of $125 is quite a whacking savings!
Thanks for posting that link.

stitchlvr
08-22-2005, 06:03 PM
I've been watching them on ebay as well, and they usually go for at least $100. I wonder if this set includes the book or if that's missing as well.

MrsG
08-22-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm still waiting for my which is on backorder at DisneyDirect!!

coronado_g
08-22-2005, 09:22 PM
I love love LOVE my set from Disney Direct and it came with everything. This is sooo worth the money!!

Gone2Disneyland
08-23-2005, 06:56 AM
$80 instead of $125 is quite a whacking savings!
Thanks for posting that link.

I had read that Disney's plan always was to release the 6-disc boxed set minus the vinyl record nationwide in September. The period from May to now was an exclusive window for us crazies who couldn't wait and/or wanted the vinyl record that's included in the park editions to get it, at full price of course :eek:

So it should come as no surprise that those of us who already have our sets gush about them. I love my set, but enjoying the handsome companion book that's included in the set was a pleasant surprise. While I would've taken some discount if I could've, I still have no qualms about paying full price; after listening to it over and over, I definitely got my money's worth. :)

08-23-2005, 07:16 AM
I wonder if this set includes the book or if that's missing as well.

If the book were included, they would have said so. That's what I'm thinking.

The book is so, so wonderful.

cosmicjive
08-23-2005, 09:15 AM
I don't believe that set includes the book. When I bought my set a few months back, they told me that there would be a version with just the CD's and nothing else coming out in September. For me, the book was a huge highlight of the set, so know what you are getting before you order. The flip side is that the music collection by itself is easily worth that price (if you are a fan).

-Jeff "etumor"

Gone2Disneyland
08-23-2005, 12:28 PM
I don't believe that set includes the book. When I bought my set a few months back, they told me that there would be a version with just the CD's and nothing else coming out in September. For me, the book was a huge highlight of the set, so know what you are getting before you order. The flip side is that the music collection by itself is easily worth that price (if you are a fan).

-Jeff "etumor"

Well, amazon doesn't list the contents specifically, and show the set available not until Sept 20.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000AA4MHM/qid=1124828206/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-0286280-1168861?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

However, I finally found the link where I'd read that the nationwide release would be the same except lacking only the vinyl, and the comment is straight from the set's producer, Randy Thornton.

"After a brief window of exclusivity (until September 2005) the boxed set (minus the vinyl) will be available Nationally. Suggested retail is $125 (with and without the vinyl). I believe this price to be an incredible bargain!!!"

Taken from: http://www.magicmusic.net/discuss/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=1988;sta rt=0

All that said, you should make sure what the contents are before you buy. Since amazon lists Sept 20 for the ship date, maybe you'll need to give them and Wal-Mart a few more weeks to get the info posted so the exact contents are clear. I mean, it could be possible that Disney changed their minds between May and now about the exact contents.

kimc0486
08-23-2005, 02:23 PM
What exactly is the book and can you buy it elsewhere?

Gone2Disneyland
08-23-2005, 02:46 PM
What exactly is the book and can you buy it elsewhere?

From the description of it at DisneyDirect.com:

Commemorative Book
Featuring 72-pages filled with colorful photos and fascinating facts, this yellow cloth-covered book describes the history of the music featured on the 6 CDs. Book measures 12'' -square.

http://disney.store.go.com/DSSectionPage.process?Merchant_Id=2&Section_Id=11886&Product_Id=182205&CLK=DS_11776_PRVTS1_IMG

The DisneyDirect link also has a photo.

I believe it is available only in the boxed set, not sold separately. It's designed similarly to the rest of the components inside the boxed set, right down to the brass plate on the cloth cover. It's almost a half-inch think and a very nice companion to the CDs, offering background info on the creation of most of the park attractions covered by the CDs' music, with archival photos and sketches and sidebar articles.

cosmicjive
08-23-2005, 02:56 PM
The book gives background information about the development of key attractions in the park's history. Although it is intended to focus on the music for each of those attractions, it also contains a lot of non-music related information, much of it fascinating. It also contains photos from the attractions, as well as some conceptual art. If you are interested in the Imagineering department, the book is a worthy addition.

-Jeff "etumor"

Mark Mywords
08-23-2005, 03:20 PM
I seem to remember Randy Thornton saying that a CD only version (no book, no box)of the set was going to be available to retailers at some point. I've got to think that this is that version.

The book and box is totally worth the extra $$. You won't regret it! It's absolutely beautifuly and is one of the best packaged sets I've seen in recent years. The book is really good.