PDA

View Full Version : CheapoDisneyland

Pages : [1] 2 3

cryan71
08-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Okay, i'm going on Monday -- the first time in 2 years. Yeah, I needed a break after 3 years of APs.

However, I am between pay periods so I don't have a lot of dough. I'm going alone -- so I don't have to buy meals for anyone.

So what are your money saving tips? And I mean bottom of the barrel cheap. Cheaper than Kevin Federline when asked to pay for the bill and Brittany's nowhere in sight. Cheaper than Star Jones' wedding-- with all its corporate sponsorship. I'm talking 98 cent store cheap. 99 cents store would be too expensive.

I've already got the admission taken care of as someone is signing me in.

Parking? Anyplace to park nearby that is cheaper than parking at Mickey and Friends? Like for free where I could walk to the park.

Food? Where's the biggest bang for the buck in the park? Largest portions, most filling, but at the cheapest cost. I'm not spending 3 bucks on a locker to store my own food.

Disney4Me
08-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by cryan71
Here are my money saving tips:

1) You can collect parts of a complete meal from strangers. Just go up to anyone in a sit down restaurant pretty much done with their meal and ask "are you going to finish that?" About everytime they'll let you have it.

2) Ketchup, some hot sauce, pepper and a cup of ice water= V8 -- a tasty drink.

3) Tortillas, tortillas and more tortillas. Wait till about the park closes for they give out huge amounts of the product.

4) Stand near the popcorn cart and when someone buys an overfilled popcorn, accidently bump them with your hands cupped. Do this many times, and voila -- free handful of popcorn.

5) Always save a drink cup-- at any restaurant complain that some kid knocked over your drink. They'll refill it for free. If they don't, tell them your an AP holder and that you own this park. Demand to speak with Michael.

6) Two pieces of Boudon Bakery bread samples with mustard and mayonasie = a tasty treat.

7) Hey if it's on the top part of the trash can, it's still good.

I thought that these ideas were extremely original! # 1 was my favorite that you posted. OK maybe that was not helpful but I was laughing when you posted it!

Disneyfun
08-19-2005, 09:51 PM
That is the cheepest for food. As for Parking.
Well Down Town Disney Parking is free for three hours. So You would just need to leave and go move your car every three hours.
For food The cheepest would be the kids meal. If oyu were to go to DCA and get the hambers kids meal at the tasty Piliot would could load up those burgers with lettuce and tomaotes and have a salad with it!

Water is free just ask for a cup at any restuarnt.

Instead of a locker how about a back pack with food? Put shirt on bottom then the food then shirt on top.

Or keep cooler in car and as you go out to move the car every three hours grab a snack.!

Does that help?

ToursbabeC3po
08-19-2005, 09:56 PM
Bring snacks in a backpack!!!! Ice water is free at any food location :-)

Toursbabe

TowerofTerror
08-19-2005, 10:53 PM
yup all good just wear a birthday sticker and to the tortilla factory and they will give you a dozen for it being your birthday

phillyorig
08-20-2005, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by cryan71
Here are my money saving tips:

1) You can collect parts of a complete meal from strangers. Just go up to anyone in a sit down restaurant pretty much done with their meal and ask "are you going to finish that?" About everytime they'll let you have it.

3) Tortillas, tortillas and more tortillas. Wait till about the park closes for they give out huge amounts of the product.

4) Stand near the popcorn cart and when someone buys an overfilled popcorn, accidently bump them with your hands cupped. Do this many times, and voila -- free handful of popcorn.

5) Always save a drink cup-- at any restaurant complain that some kid knocked over your drink. They'll refill it for free. If they don't, tell them your an AP holder and that you own this park. Demand to speak with Michael.

6) Two pieces of Boudon Bakery bread samples with mustard and mayonasie = a tasty treat.

7) Hey if it's on the top part of the trash can, it's still good.

I thought that these ideas were extremely original! # 1 was my favorite that you posted. OK maybe that was not helpful but I was laughing when you posted it!

\ :D

NICE ONE!!!

This is what my son did when we were all lost all over DLR.

I had my daughters cell phone, so to find us he went up to total strangers and asked for money to make a long distance phone call..(walkie talkies didn't work for us)

After about 5 min, a nice man gave him $5 in change to make the call.
Hubby did give the gentleman his money back.

My son was 13yo at the time lol :D

So just go up to strangers and with big eyes and pout, ask for food money!!

jon80flt
08-20-2005, 07:14 AM

Don't forget packets of Honey... very nutritious! :D

If you can beg $6, you can get a Turkey Drumstick... you could stretch that into two meals... a third if you figure out a way to boil the bone and make turkey soup!!

Where are you staying? I heard there used to be plenty of room in the Tee-Pees on Tom Sawyer Island... a kid lived there for about a week back in the 70s! There might be room in the Indian Village along the Rivers of America! :D

Have a great trip!
Jon

hdlzx2
08-20-2005, 07:31 AM
This thread is a hoot! I love it!

DianeM
08-20-2005, 08:35 AM
Is the gumbo breadbowl from a (literally) hole in the wall restaurant next to the blue bayou. You get a bread bowl full of beef or vege gumbo for (I think) $7. Very filling, if you eat the breadbowl, and delicious. It's not open all hourse, but it's generally open for lunch and sometimes for dinner. Depends how many people at the park, I guess. Take your own water in a backpack and refill it every time you pass a drinking fountain, so you don't need to spend money on beverages. I'd take it in a freshly bought still sealed bottle into the park, so they don't make you discard it because it migth have alcohol. Don't know diddly about parking, but is parking at the nearby convention center cheaper than Disney? Do they have shuttles? I'm betting there is no way to get cheap parking unless you park WAY away from the park and take a bus in.

TikiGeek
08-20-2005, 09:37 AM
Grab a lemon from DCA or Autopia + FREE cup of ice water + 2 FREE packets of sugar = FREE lemonade

FREE Birthday sticker + FREE dozen tortillas from Mission + FREE packets of parmesan cheese from RR Pizza Port + FREE Ortega salsa from Rancho del Zocalo -> Go to Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room waiting area - wait for TikiGodess Pele to to spout fire from her head -> toast quesadillas over flame = FREE Mexican food.

For FREE dessert - go to Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor - Stand in line for 45 minutes - ask "what does that flavor taste like?" They will give you a micro spoon taste of that flavor for FREE. Repeat untill asked to leave.

Hope this helps you save some money. :D

cryan71
08-20-2005, 10:54 AM
I totally forgot about my joke post awhile back.

I'm just traveling down from LA for the day.

The lemonaide idea sounds actually feasable.

Parking-- Parking --- I don't want to pay ten bucks for parking. I remember parking at Kmart once and walking. Got to be some neighborhood that's halfway safe that I can park my crappy car on.

Vegitabeta
08-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Parking-- Parking --- I don't want to pay ten bucks for parking. I remember parking at Kmart once and walking. Got to be some neighborhood that's halfway safe that I can park my crappy car on.

Is it not cheaper than $10 to park your car at a hotel nearby?

Hakuna Makarla
08-20-2005, 11:09 AM
OMG I am laughing so hard!! you are all a hoot!

( me thinks he was serious :)

I my self I would bring a small cooler with lots of juices and foods. Pay for the three dollar locker, why not the food in disneyland is way more expensive and you can buy food out of the park to go in the cooler.or from home.

DangerMouse
08-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Is it not cheaper than $10 to park your car at a hotel nearby?

Hotels only allow registered guests to park in their lots, and you will definitely be towed. So no, paying to have your vehicle pulled from the impound will not be cheaper than the $10 to park at M&F.

JeffG
08-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Unless you are able to use some form of public transportation or want to deal with moving your car in the Downtown Disney lot every 3 hours, I would recommend simply accepting the $10 for parking as an unavoidable part of the expense for going to DL. Trying to park for the full day anywhere else within walking distance of DLR is going to result in a pretty good chance that you will be finding transportation to an impound lot and then paying a fine that will be much more than the $10 you saved...

-Jeff

PapiBear
08-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Stop by Santa Monica Blvd. the night before you go, and offer favors to strange men for money.

By the next morning, you'll have at least enough for three square meals at any of the Park restaurants.

You won't be able to sit down when you eat, though. But if you're really pressed for cash, it'll do the trick (or actually, YOU will, but anyway).

Park your car in the Denny's parking lot and walk over.

disneyperson
08-20-2005, 03:47 PM
An aquaintance of mine tried just leaving her car in the Denny's lot. It wasn't there when she returned. She paid all the towing fees and the fee to get it out of impound. The hotels and restaurants on Harbor monitor their lots. They have to in order to provide spaces for their paying customers.
Ten bucks to park all day is a bargain.

As for the food,I'm also a big fan of the bread bowl. It will fill you up.

OCCOBRA
08-20-2005, 04:46 PM
Where is the $3 dollar lockers? Main street lockers are $5. Pay for parking and buy a half a dozen snickers bars.

PapiBear
08-20-2005, 06:48 PM
OK, don't park in the Denny's lot.

Park in the Anaheim library parking lot and take the bus straight down Harbor.

hdlzx2
08-20-2005, 06:52 PM
OK, don't park in the Denny's lot.

Park in the Anaheim library parking lot and take the bus straight down Harbor.
:p

TikiGeek
08-20-2005, 06:56 PM
Shame on you Papi!!! :mad: You have more class than that.

kinglouie1967
08-20-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm not familiar with the greater Anaheim area, but you could find a safe place to park not too far away and hitchhike. If you're kind of a freaky lookin' dude, wear Mickey ears to improve your odds.

If you're willing to pretend you're going into a diabetic coma, you can get some free candy or a soda at just about any restaurant. Or if you have too much dignity for that sort of scam, it's pretty easy to grab a turkey leg from some unsuspecting little kid and run like heck. Alternatively, wait at the exit of the teacups and you never know what might come up. Bon appetite!

CariBelle
08-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Although we were guests of the Ramada hotel we couldn't check in until after 3 PM, but we parked in their parking lot (without even talking to the front desk at all, so they had no clue if we were guests or not) all day and didn't get towed...so it's an option.

lauramaynot
08-20-2005, 09:25 PM
don't forget free asprin and water at the nurses station :p

CariBelle
08-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Oh, and for the most filling meal, I have to agree with the gumbo or clam chowder in a bread bowl. We picked them up right before Fantasmic last time. Boyfriend, who has a bottomless pit for a stomach, couldn't even finish his. The kids meal from Pizza Port is also pretty big.