PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion Holiday question

BalooNumberTwo
08-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Just wondering how different the Haunted mansion becomes from the original ride and walkthrough part when it is transformed for the Holiday overlay. I am not a huge fan of the NBC, but am a little curious to see what its like. Which do you prefer?

SCUBAbe
08-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Just wondering how different the Haunted mansion becomes from the original ride and walkthrough part when it is transformed for the Holiday overlay. I am not a huge fan of the NBC, but am a little curious to see what its like. Which do you prefer?

I prefer HMH hands down. The elevator has nbc pictures and there are diffeent decorations around. The portrait hall pictures are all nbc ...it's pretty subtlle compared tot eh ride though. I was in awe the first time I rode it. :)

BalooNumberTwo
08-18-2005, 08:15 PM
I prefer HMH hands down. The elevator has nbc pictures and there are diffeent decorations around. The portrait hall pictures are all nbc ...it's pretty subtlle compared tot eh ride though. I was in awe the first time I rode it. :)

See i have been on the main ride, and i am going with 8 people that have never been on it....i am just hoping the don't end up disliking the ride because of it...

minniemom
08-18-2005, 08:22 PM
I love the HMH. I think it is so much fun. I have to profess that I have actually never seen the NBC, but prefer the HM decorated that way. The food place next to HM (sorry the name has slipped my mind) also goes into NBC mode and it is pretty cool. We missed it last year, but the year before that the had the big green ghost made out of jellybeans and all the desserts were a NBC them. I loved it. It is just so cool to see how disney can transform the ride!!

Wendi
08-18-2005, 08:25 PM
I love the HMH. I think it is so much fun. I have to profess that I have actually never seen the NBC, but prefer the HM decorated that way. The food place next to HM (sorry the name has slipped my mind) also goes into NBC mode and it is pretty cool. We missed it last year, but the year before that the had the big green ghost made out of jellybeans and all the desserts were a NBC them. I loved it. It is just so cool to see how disney can transform the ride!!

The restaurant is the French Market and they've got great entrees and desserts themed to NBC - it's great. You can also buy travel mugs there and last year they gave out a series of patches with meals.

potterphreak
08-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Personally, I prefer regular Haunted Mansion, but I think that might be because I don't like NBC. LOOOOVE the music, but just like the whole "ghost" theming more than Mr. Skellington. :-)

SCUBAbe
08-18-2005, 08:57 PM
The restaurant is the French Market and they've got great entrees and desserts themed to NBC - it's great. You can also buy travel mugs there and last year they gave out a series of patches with meals.
omg the sally's marinara eye of newt was so good. I had it twice...a couple of minths apart, but twice...LOL

olegc
08-18-2005, 10:30 PM
I like both - HMH comes in for a nice "change of pace" with fun and frolic (and that catchy Elfman-style music) and then goes back to ghoulish delight with the old 999 haunts gang...

Good fun.

As for descriptions - MouseInfo tends to have reviews, pix, and videos of rides...

Gone2Disneyland
08-18-2005, 10:46 PM
See i have been on the main ride, and i am going with 8 people that have never been on it....i am just hoping the don't end up disliking the ride because of it...

Generally speaking, HMH is much more colorful than the original HM decor and playfully festive. I'm not a huge fan of the film, but imo you don't really need to be a fan of or familiar with the film. And the music is fun, with riffs of the original "Grim Grinning Ghosts" playing in the graveyard scene. Myself, I really can't chose one over the other; they're both really creative and fun, and I enjoy both.

All that said, if your friends have never seen it, then they won't really have anything to compare it to. I would venture to guess they'll enjoy the bright colors, decorations, and original effects thruout the ride.

TowerofTerror
08-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Haunted Mansion Holiday I love too.I love all the decoration that have.I especially The stretching room when you first start before you go the hallway.It is so cool to see a happy face instead of of a hanging skeleton. I here this year the holiday one is gone to be mickey scary Christmas for the Disneyland park.Well this is all subject to change but it wont be Tim Burton's nightmare before Christmas

twist1980
08-19-2005, 05:44 AM
I'm really excited for it, but I'm a bit worried because my boyfriend has never been to DLR before and I'm afraid this will ruin the original version for him. Do any of you know anyone that rode HM for the first time during the holidays? And if so, were they okay with it and the original version?

Little tod
08-19-2005, 08:22 AM
To tell the truth... I'm really more partial to the straight-up Haunted Mansion. I mean, I enjoy the NBC overlay, but the second or third time each year the novelty sort of wears off for me. I really enjoy the movie, I just don't really like the ride.

On a lighter note... anyone ever have to reset while in the stretching room? That's even scarier than the ride, because the whole spiel plays as the room destretchifies. And then, with the narration done and the ceiling at its normal eight feet or so, the lights turn off and the Jack head appears. And, MAN, IS THAT THING BIG.

Osky
08-19-2005, 08:51 AM
On a lighter note... anyone ever have to reset while in the stretching room? That's even scarier than the ride, because the whole spiel plays as the room destretchifies. And then, with the narration done and the ceiling at its normal eight feet or so, the lights turn off and the Jack head appears. And, MAN, IS THAT THING BIG.

That's interesting. I took my grandmother on the HM back in April, and had to ride back up the elevator because she was in a wheelchair. During the regular HM (not HMH Overlay), when the stretching room returns to normal there is no speil and the lights stay on. You just hear a lot of groaning and creaking and snapping as it all squishes back together.

truesally
08-19-2005, 09:23 AM
I here this year the holiday one is gone to be mickey scary Christmas for the Disneyland park.Well this is all subject to change but it wont be Tim Burton's nightmare before Christmas

Wait - what does it mean? what does it mean? HMH must be Jack! We're so looking forward to it this way...Please, someone, say it isn't so. :eek:

charpaul
08-19-2005, 09:33 AM
I took a friend of mine to DL for the first time last year. It was during the HMH time so his first look at the mansion was all dresssed up by Jack. He really enjoyed it. He had seen the movie once a LONG time ago - so the storyline was not real familiar to him. It also made him look forward to seeing it in its original form after the holidays - which he also likes now.
And to him - Madame Leota has always floated in the original - LOL