PDA

View Full Version : Did someone say themeing?

Ghoulish Delight
02-20-2002, 09:37 AM
Okay, this has been bugging me. Explain to me what British pirates, attacking Spanish colonists, in the Caribbean Sea, are doing....underneath New Orleans Square!!! I mean seriously. I guess you could count it as part of Adventureland, but Disney doesn't, and there's the whole Blue Bayou thing, which DOES fit the NOS theme. But putting a barrel bridge at the entrance to Space Mountain wouldn't exactly make it Tom Sawyer themed, would it? What happened? Did Walt have the idea for the ride, couldn't find a better spot in the park for it, and just gave up and slapped a swamp on top of pirates and called it New Orleans?

Morrigoon
02-20-2002, 10:59 AM
New Orleans was at one time a Spanish holding (hence the Latin Quarter). Much of the Carribbean has a strong Spanish influence, and, being on the Gulf of Mexico, has terrific access to some very Spanish-like holdings. And, of course, there's always proximity to Cuba. English pirates are easy to explain, what with the Colonies just up north there. The competition between English and Spanish centuries ago is legendary, so of COURSE they'd attack the Spaniards (or their colonies). Spain got much of its gold from the New World, making Spanish colonies natural targets.

How's that? :D

Ghoulish Delight
02-20-2002, 11:21 AM
They're still a long way from the Caribbean ;)

02-20-2002, 01:12 PM
Yes but I have heard it said by my anthropologist hubby that Louisiana is the northernmost part of the Afro-Caribbean culture complex.

Fried plaintains or a gris-gris bag, anyone?

DisneylandKid
02-21-2002, 05:45 AM
Also, the ride starts in a very "New-Orleansy" bayou before the "dream" is relived...

Pirates is very well placed I believe. I don't think Adventureland would fit with it.