PDA

View Full Version : Computer crash takes out certain Disneyland Resort operations

Pages : [1] 2

AVP
08-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Someone at the resort just called to tell me that something has taken out some of the comptuer networks at the Disneyland Resort, specifically those that are tied into a network at Walt Disney World. This outage started around 10:00 am this morning, and has caused problems in some merchandise, foods and hotel systems. The resort hotel resturants are having to process orders manually, and the front desk / reservation system seems to be affected at all three hotels.

Anyone have any other information about this?

AVP

hlbtimes2
08-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Can I dream, that maybe, its a generous hacker that is giving us all upgrades on our upcoming trips? LOL

In all seriousness- that must really suck! And I'm glad I'm not a cast member or a guest in the park today.

SilverStyle
08-16-2005, 02:11 PM
That would be great, no more CDS. w00t w00t

Alex S.
08-16-2005, 02:18 PM
CNN has a banner headline that some new worm is taking down Windows 2000 systems all around the country but no article as of yet. Wonder if it is part of that.

millionairegirl
08-16-2005, 02:18 PM
They wouldn't let me make dinner reservations at about 11:00 this morning. They said try back later. I guess I'll try tomorrow since it's for one not until October.

nursemelis374
08-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Oh great, I have Windows 2000 at work.

phoenixfire2k5
08-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Now, thats why I don't drink tequila! :p lol

Opus1guy
08-16-2005, 02:27 PM
I bet all my friends that work at the fabled fortress-like Disney Worldwide Services "Disc Building" backstage Northeast of the Magic Kingdom at WDW...are having a real fun time right now! That's where all these services (and more) are run from for the Company.

I can't wait to ask them, "So, what happened to that fancy-schmancy Disaster Management backup facility you keep running and staffed 7/24/365 in upstate New York? Itty-bitty worm get that too?"

Somehow, I don't think they'd appreciate a call of inquiry from me right now.

;)

But then again, perhaps it was just some sort of uplink/downlink problem? Any reports of WDW having the same difficulties?

phoenixfire2k5
08-16-2005, 02:29 PM
I bet all my friends that work at the fabled fortress-like Disney Worldwide Services "Disc Building" backstage Northeast of the Magic Kingdom...are having a real fun time right now!

I can't wait to ask them, "So, what happened to that fancy-schmancy Disaster Management backup facility you keep running and staffed 7/24/365 in upstate New York? Itty-bitty worm get that too?"

Somehow, I don't think they'd appreciate a call of inquiry from me right now.

;)

But then again, perhaps it was just some sort of uplink/downlink problem?

lmao!! someone downloaded the "pink slip virus" from that southwest commercial lol

DisneyDustin22
08-16-2005, 02:29 PM
ABC news is reporting live in the field. Computers are attacking everyone! It's madness. Computes are going from house to house, taking out everything in their path. Citizens were seen defending themselves with Norton Antivirus CD's, it seems to have no effect on the machines! They're throwing them like frisbees! Holy moses Tom Cruise just stole my minivan! What a jerk!

nursemelis374
08-16-2005, 02:32 PM
ABC news is reporting live in the field. Computers are attacking everyone! It's madness. Computes are going from house to house, taking out everything in their path. Citizens were seen defending themselves with Norton Antivirus CD's, it seems to have no effect on the machines! They're throwing them like frisbees! Holy moses Tom Cruise just stole my minivan! What a jerk!

LMAO!!!! Dustin, you always crack me up!!! :D

Opus1guy
08-16-2005, 02:33 PM

Love it! :)

DisneyDustin22
08-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Quick, everybody, get behind Tim Robbins! Ah where's Neo when ya need him? I guess Randy Quaid will have to do for now.

cosmicjive
08-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Worm strikes down Windows 2000 systems
CNN, New York Times, ABC report crashes

Tuesday, August 16, 2005; Posted: 6:28 p.m. EDT (22:28 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A computer worm shut down computer systems running the Windows 2000 operating system across the United States on Tuesday, hitting computers at CNN, ABC and The New York Times.

[For the rest of the article, please visit the CNN article directly here:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/internet/08/16/computer.worm/index.html ]

Lani
08-16-2005, 02:51 PM
It took down parts of our system, as well. IT went and fixed the infected machines, had everyone else disconnect temporarily from the network, and then had us all make sure we had the most recent patch for the virus checking software.

The down time gave me time to go work out at the gym, since EVERYTHING I do is on a server on the network.

Opus1guy
08-16-2005, 02:54 PM
A bad day for computers, I guess.

Check out what some of these new Mac users had to go through today:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/16/tech/main781387.shtml

;)

phoenixfire2k5
08-16-2005, 02:57 PM
lmao, opus and dustin, u two are a riot!!! lol i cant compare!!! lol <bows>

phoenixfire2k5
08-16-2005, 03:05 PM
On a serious note, should we be worried or concerned about being online right now?

pisces
08-16-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm glad I saved my receipt for my upcoming reservations.

Lani
08-16-2005, 03:12 PM
On a serious note, should we be worried or concerned about being online right now?You'll be OK as long as you have an updated virus protector on your PC.

If you have a Mac, be glad you weren't in that mob to try to buy one.

Honestly, that kind of puts KMart Blue Light Specials to shame.

They should have had a numbering system like they do at Disneyland. They sounded wholly unprepared. What a horrible experience!

Mark Goldhaber
08-16-2005, 03:17 PM
You'll be OK as long as you have an updated virus protector on your PC.

If you have a Mac, be glad you weren't in that mob to try to buy one.

Honestly, that kind of puts KMart Blue Light Specials to shame.

They should have had a numbering system like they do at Disneyland. They sounded wholly unprepared. What a horrible experience!
All of WDW except for the theme parks and executive offices went down. They're coming back up slowly. WDW is apparently attributing it to a glitch in an planned software "push."

phoenixfire2k5
08-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Just makin sure. Because it seems that problems are poppin up all over with everyone.

Alex S.
08-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Do you use Windows 2000? It seems to be mostly isolated to that, though early versions of XP can be at risk if you've changed certain registry options from the default (something almost nobody would do).

Mark: If Disney really did do a planned software push during business hours then they deserve whatever they get.

Mark Goldhaber
08-16-2005, 03:26 PM
At this point, I'm guessing that it was an emergency anti-virus push when they saw the problems going on. I was at the doctor with my kid this afternoon. What time did the worldwide Win2K attack start? The Disney system went down at approximately 1:00 p.m. EDT. I'm working on a longer writeup for the WDW forum and the News forum right now.

Tony
08-16-2005, 03:53 PM
A bad day for computers, I guess.

Check out what some of these new Mac users had to go through today:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/08/16/tech/main781387.shtml

;)

No kidding - and then there is this, too: :p :~D

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ft/2005/ft050816.gif