PDA

View Full Version : Could DCA get a new name by the end of the decade?

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
08-16-2005, 06:29 AM
In today's AL Lutz update over at MiceAge....

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al081605a.htm

Here's a very solid rumor leaking out of Imagineering (WDI) up in Glendale. Disneyland fans have noticed that the original DCA logo launched with the Park in 2001 has quietly disappeared in the last year.

Now the original logo is now only visible on the entrance marquees on Harbor Blvd. and at the parking structure, and those could be replaced in fiscal year '06. The old DCA logo is no longer available for purchase on any souvenir, and it's been replaced on most paper items by the simple Disneyland Resort logo. Only when they absolutely have to will they allow the DCA name to be used, and then it's a very bland logo with the word "Disney's" getting the most graphic attention.

This logo change wasn't done by accident, as the long term plan WDI and TDA suits are now working with assumes that the DCA name will be permanently shelved by the end of this decade. With the blessing of Michael Mendenhall, Executive Vice President of Global Marketing for the Resort, they are trying to distance themselves from the DCA "brand name" and lessen any budding brand identity the public may have with the struggling Park.

And there is more on the subject on page 3 of his update.

Also, he talks about why Snow White got placed on Hiatus. One of the main reasons, that Disney HAD to keep Fantasmic! going, otherwise the traffic problems would be even more awful around the hub before the fireworks. (Fantasmic takes a LOT of folks away from the rest of the park and keeps them in the ROA from around 8 or 8:30 until after the fireworks).

Opus1guy
08-16-2005, 07:53 AM
"Disney's Potpourri"

D. Duck
08-16-2005, 08:06 AM
"Disney’s Computer Animation"

Alex S.
08-16-2005, 08:07 AM
If this is happening I could see that one thing they might be waiting for is resolution of the Pixar relationship.

Osky
08-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Disney's Red-Headed Step-Child

Pat-n-Eil
08-16-2005, 09:03 AM
They could just annex it as another part of Disneyland.. Keep what's good and theme it accordingly.

We'd have:
Main Street USA
Tomorrowland
Fantasyland
Adventureland
Frontierland
New Orleans Square
Mickey's Toon Town
------------------
And in Disney's Colorful America:
Coastal Land
Disney's Agriventure
Wine Land
Hollywoodland
Redwoodland
and
Desertland

TowerofTerror
08-16-2005, 09:26 AM
It will be called Disney World of Happness

olegc
08-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Disney's Teen Hangout

or

Disney's Tax Write-off

ZenMickey
08-16-2005, 10:10 AM
It will be called Disney World of Happness

What is Happness? That makes no sense.

But I do like all the previous suggestions! :~D

hlbtimes2
08-16-2005, 10:18 AM
What is Happness?

Great question, is it:

Happness? Like happiness- as in a happy feeling

or

Happness as in it just sort of happened with out a good plan ;)

Opus1guy
08-16-2005, 10:27 AM
"Disney's That Darn Parking Lot"

ZenMickey
08-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Great question, is it:

Happness? Like happiness- as in a happy feeling

or

Happness as in it just sort of happened with out a good plan ;)

That gave me a good laugh today.... thanks! :D

potzbie
08-16-2005, 10:32 AM
What is Happness?

Where were you in the decade of the 1960s when the question was asked, and answered?
:cool:

To Charles Shultz:
"HAPPINESS IS A WARM PUPPY."
:)

To The Fab Four:
"HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN."
:rolleyes:

Monte Cristo
08-16-2005, 10:56 AM
I don't know what they'll name it, but if this is true it's a step in the right direction.

It actually opens the door to a lot of possibilities, allowing them to get away from the California theme.

phoenixfire2k5
08-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Disney's Red-Headed Step-Child

lmao!!!

it took me a minute to realize what some of you were doing, then it hit me. new names! lmao!!!

phoenixfire2k5
08-16-2005, 11:08 AM
"Disney's Avoid the Massive Crowds at DL or Camp Out All Night Just to Get Into DL Land!!!" lol

hlbtimes2
08-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Where were you in the decade of the 1960s when the question was asked, and answered?
:cool:

To Charles Shultz:
"HAPPINESS IS A WARM PUPPY."
:)

To The Fab Four:
"HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN."
:rolleyes:

Except TOT wasnt suggesting "happiness". There is no "i". Its Happness. What is happness?

Osky
08-16-2005, 12:18 PM
"The park formerly known as California Adventure."

cosmicjive
08-16-2005, 12:22 PM
I actually thought that maybe the way to do it was not to change the name at all, but to change the emphasis. Put the emphasis on "Adventure," where "California" simply becomes the place where the park is located. Think about it:

Disney's California Adventure

Replace the giant "C A L I F O R N I A" outside the main gates
with "A D V E N T U R E"

Eliminate all of the California-specific theming, re-theme different areas as different kinds of Adventure.

Condor Flats --> Aviation Adventures
Grizzly River Run --> Wilderness Adventures
Hollywood Backlot --> Nightmare Adventures (theming off of ToT and Monsters Inc)
Eliminate Paradise Pier completely and replace it with a new theme -- the whole "boardwalk carnival" theme is a bad idea -- it's in direct conflict with what Walt wanted in the first place. If you have to keep Screamin' (which I recommend) find a new theme to work it into.

The only problem with this plan is that Disneyland already has a dedicated "Adventureland" -- but it's more of a Jungle theme. In DCA, "Adventure" would find a more broad meaning.

Anyway, that was the grand plan I came up with :)

-Jeff "etumor"

Kelly Ann
08-16-2005, 12:40 PM
AmerDisney! ;)

kinglouie1967
08-16-2005, 01:44 PM
Except TOT wasnt suggesting "happiness". There is no "i". Its Happness. What is happness?

Maybe "hapless"? The Most Hapless Place on Earth!

Maus
08-16-2005, 06:56 PM
If this is happening I could see that one thing they might be waiting for is resolution of the Pixar relationship.

My thoughts exactly. Pixarland.

sambo
08-16-2005, 09:14 PM
DSF

Disney Six Flags. "Just as good as..." - but without the thrill rides.

fjhuerta
08-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Pixarland!

(and move Finding Nemo and Buzz Lightyear to DCA, too.... build something worthwile and future related in Tomorrowland, please!)

olegc
08-17-2005, 03:59 PM
DSF

Disney Six Flags. "Just as good as..." - but without the thrill rides.

Yup - someone should just whip out that Powerpoint slide deck from Pressler. It's chock FULL of great ideas! :p