PDA

View Full Version : Disney spirit fading at DLR?

Lanmon
08-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Where is the cast member Disney spirit?

We just returned home from a birthday weekend at DLR. We usually talk about the great time we had and look forward to the next time. It was interesting to see the discussion was mainly about the cast members. They were not as friendly, did not really help us in the shops, and gave no suggestions of places to go and see. At the Security Check we heard, "Open your bag" rarely a "please" or "thank you" or "Welcome to Disneyland and have a great day". Numerous Cast members did not wish Happy Birthday greetings park guests. Many CMs pointed with one finger rather than the open hand or two fingers directing people on the rides or during the show attractions. Cast members rarely said hello to the guests in the parks too. What is happening to the Disney spirit? :confused:

BTW we were told at the World of Disney that no gift boxes will be available until Christmas time so for our family and friends who are overseas will not be able to open Disney gifts with Disney gift boxes. Major bummer. :crying:

Noah
08-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Sad to hear about your experience :( I know there have been major new hiring and restructures to cast departments, which means many people have left and many new people have been hired. With all this happening around the 50th anniversary and the Summer recess, I am sure the cast has been stretched to the limits. The sad thing is this will be felt by the public which it has in many ways. Lets hope they can turn this unfortunate trend around, so the new generation of children attending the parks don't get rubbed the wrong way and not adopt the love of Disney and the parks to share with there family and friends. That is the parks greatest assets, the fans who wish to share the experience with others again and again.
Lose that and the park turns into a Knotts or a (Un)Magic Mountain. We don't want that, lets hope this is just a temporary inconvenience.
At least we have a Park president who I am sure is working his hardest to make it a better place on all levels.

The Mouse Is Back
08-15-2005, 04:19 PM
I haven't noticed this phenomenon, but then again we avoid summer and holiday times like the plague.

My guess is that crowds, longer hours, seasonal employees, and other factors are involved.

I'm sure former CMs will come along and tell you all the reasons that they hate DL, and their theory that the vast majority of CMs despite their jobs and the guests and just about everything else having to do with DL.

Sorry you had a less than stellar experience with the CMs. How did the rest of your vacation go, i.e., attractions, shows, 50th stuff?

-Allegra-

Shortiemetoo
08-15-2005, 04:28 PM
Wow!! I was there last month and had the opposite experience...
I felt that the magic had been missing on previous trips the past few years and I really found the CM's helpful, extra couteous and friendly!
So sorry that you did not experience the same..
I am openly a friendly person though and I do initiate things like "thank you's" at the bag check, because I always thank the employees there, or at the gate etc...I feel they deserve my thanks for being there working so I can enjoy myself!!!
I think for the most part the magic is very alive!!!!

Lanmon
08-15-2005, 05:49 PM
I am quite friendly too...and have met alot of friendly guests who make my visits quite memorable.

I always read the CM's name tag and thank them by name...and even tell them to have a good day. Perhaps we, the guests who love Disney, should appreciate the hard work the CM's are doing for Disney and thank them for their work.

Lanmon
08-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Indeed, it must be quite challenging for "all cast members" to keep smiling every day. It was so rewarding to see the Disney spirit in cast members in the years past. There was a time when people would always want to work at Disneyland because of Mr. Disney which was shown through his cast members.

I agree, the park president is a good man with a very difficult and challenging position...and who will make positive changes for the good of the Disney Company.

Lanmon
08-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Being AP we frequent the park 2-3 times a month so we know how to make the best of our stay. I always make comments to the CMs while waiting in line...weather, crowds, length of service, favorite character etc.

The rest of the weekend experience was wonderful...sorta.

At GCH our room keys did not work so we walked 4 times down to Registration for new keys. The maintenance man had a difficult time correcting the problem. Finally the front desk manager confirmed the problem and moved us to another upgraded room with a fantastic view! It was sad to leave this morning.

Our lunch at BB was wonderful...after we told the hostess that dining by the kitchen in the back of the restaurant was unacceptable. The food was so delicious! The waiter introduced us to the Head Chef after commenting to the waiter about the delicious meal. What a treat!!!

We sat for 3 hours waiting for the fireworks in f ront of the castle and met alot of guests from Canada, Oregon, San Diego and LA areas. It was fun just talking and laughing about Disneyland...the time went very quickly.

It is now a tradition to see DISNEYLAND, The First 50 Years with Steve Martin. The show is filled with information and I highly recommend for everyone to see...at least once.

TDBearGrrl
08-15-2005, 06:38 PM
I did notice an increased level of 'snippieness' from many cast members yesterday. Tram, bag check, entry gates...

yeartolate
08-15-2005, 09:09 PM
My experiences with CM's were very good. If anything, I found the rudeness of the guests to be at an all time high.

CariBelle
08-15-2005, 09:18 PM
My experiences with CM's were very good. If anything, I found the rudeness of the guests to be at an all time high.

I had a wonderful time with the CMs on my last trip, but I do agree that some of the park guests are the rudest people I had ever seen! We were waiting in front of the Castle to see Remember... and even though the street was filled with people sitting down waiting, some rude pople still tried to walk THROUGH the mass of people instead of going in the VERY open walkways by the Partners statue.

kikid
08-16-2005, 05:08 AM
Last time I visited the park was for the '50th and I will never forget the "SPIRIT" that CMembers displayed as we were running down main street! A memory to last forever.... :D

We just returned home from a birthday weekend at DLR. We usually talk about the great time we had and look forward to the next time. It was interesting to see the discussion was mainly about the cast members. They were not as friendly, did not really help us in the shops, and gave no suggestions of places to go and see. At the Security Check we heard, "Open your bag" rarely a "please" or "thank you" or "Welcome to Disneyland and have a great day". Numerous Cast members did not wish Happy Birthday greetings park guests. Many CMs pointed with one finger rather than the open hand or two fingers directing people on the rides or during the show attractions. Cast members rarely said hello to the guests in the parks too. What is happening to the Disney spirit? :confused:

BTW we were told at the World of Disney that no gift boxes will be available until Christmas time so for our family and friends who are overseas will not be able to open Disney gifts with Disney gift boxes. Major bummer. :crying:

ppmuse
08-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Last time I went, all the CM's were so bored, they got real excited when we stopped to talk to them. Met a soon to be father who was ecstatic about having a baby. You just have to remember, these people have nothing really to do, so talk and enjoy their company.

HorizonsA
08-16-2005, 06:14 PM

If you really want Cast Members to act more "Disney," go to South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, California where they have the Disney Store. All the Cast Members their are extra friendly and are always delighted to help Guests. I know because I work there... :D :D . Yes, I am a Cast Member at the Disney Store! And also, you can go to any Disney Store and they have Disney Gift boxes for your gifts. Of all places, I don't know why World of Disney wouldn't have any gift boxes and The Disney Store is not even owned by the Disney Company. We all have the Disney spirit at South Coast!

Durliin
08-16-2005, 07:35 PM
If you really want Cast Members to act more "Disney," go to South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa, California where they have the Disney Store. All the Cast Members their are extra friendly and are always delighted to help Guests. I know because I work there... :D :D . Yes, I am a Cast Member at the Disney Store! And also, you can go to any Disney Store and they have Disney Gift boxes for your gifts. Of all places, I don't know why World of Disney wouldn't have any gift boxes and The Disney Store is not even owned by the Disney Company. We all have the Disney spirit at South Coast!

But Disney dosn't own the Disney stores anymore......

HorizonsA
08-16-2005, 07:54 PM
But Disney dosn't own the Disney stores anymore......

That's what I said. Disney Stores are owned by The Children's Place, hence, for those who regularly go to The Disney Store, why the stores have generally turned more into a clothing store. When the store was owned by Disney, we used to sell lithographs, collectible items, break-ables, jewlery, and other great merchandise. But since it was taken over by The Children's Place, they don't sell that stuff anymore, mostly clothes.